Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Similarly, Davis/White's Bollywood OD got a tons of views - from India. Not sure India is becoming a major Figure Skating country quite yet.
    As I noted elsewhere (or maybe just in my own thoughts), Jason's viral sensation is quite different than the one D/W got with their OD. Jason is getting interviews from major U.S. media outlets, both traditional and online. He was on NPR's "All Things Considered." He's been featured on Mashable, Buzzfeed and Business Insider, three online publications that have a HUGE (and well-off) reader base. There's chatter that someone at the New York Times flew to Colorado to do an interview at his rink. "The Insider," a show known for reporting on Justin Bieber than figure skating, also did an interview at Jason's rink.

Not to mention the fact that he caught the attention to the folks from Riverdance.

And he even trended on Twitter!

So yes, we can argue that Jason's Riverdance isn't as dancy as B/K (I agree to some extent in that regard), but there's no doubt that he's gaining a LOT of attention in the U.S. right now. Well more than the people who actually WON the competition.

Uh...why are you using facts to argue with you know who?
    Because I was curious and I like stats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    does getting worn out at GPF
    and falling on his butt even with hyper inflated score at nationals doesnt count ?
    uh...when did Chan fall at GPF or his Nationals? Can someone please pinch me to see if I am still alive or dead or somehow transported to an alt universe?

Custom Title
    no and no
    that's none sense as claiming Taiwanese as Chinese you'll have a polarized mostly offended response
    I doubt they will grab Chan as the first OGM or World Champion, didnt happen with Kwan
    Lin is Taiwanese btw
    He would be the first men's OGM of Asian descent, and wally makes a good point that, being Chinese-born, Chan winning could very likely to spur further interest in figure skating in China and the rest of Asia.

With Kwan it didn't because she didn't win the Olympics. But with Arakawa there was a surge in popularity of figure skating in Japan and the rest of Asia when she won.

Custom Title
    no and no
    that's none sense as claiming Taiwanese as Chinese you'll have a polarized mostly offended response
    I doubt they will grab Chan as the first OGM or World Champion, didnt happen with Kwan
    Lin is Taiwanese btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Lin

Jeremy Lin

Nationality : American

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I agree. Jason Brown's riverdance is not quite a riverdance. He needs to show more characteristics on the spirit of riverdance, like Jeremy Abbott showed swing spirit in his swing dance.
    That's what I have been sayign all along! But he has potential.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    He would be the first men's OGM of Asian descent, and wally makes a good point that, being Chinese-born, Chan winning could very likely to spur further interest in figure skating in China and the rest of Asia.

With Kwan it didn't because she didn't win the Olympics. But with Arakawa there was a surge in popularity of figure skating in Japan and the rest of Asia when she won.
    Not to mention, Kwan was competing against Lu Chen. It didn't help that Kwan beat Chen at the 1996 Worlds for Gold a win that many Chinese and non-Chinese alike felt was stolen from Lu Chen.

You made a good point about the spillover effect. When Jeremy Lin surged to become a household name, even the Japanese media went after him extensively despite the fact he is not Japanese. Naturally, the Chinese and Taiwanese media had a good war of words what he really is and what is the definition of "Chinese" but that's a political question and beyond the scope of discussion here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Because I was curious and I like stats.
    Me too! And thanks for those stats.... I didn't realize how consistent Chan has been on his quad (10 out of 12 is amazing!) and certainly better consistency on his 3A too! Certainly gives me confidence in his potential to win the OGM.

Banned

there are already alot, you have regional skaters with like the many talented Japanese men raising and giving further interest in figure skating which has sifted mostly to asia now, Chanwont/isnt the credit for boosting FS popularity in Asia.

Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Lin

Jeremy Lin

Nationality : American
    weren't we talking here about ethnic background

Custom Title
    I think that on one thing Sky_fly was right... that no skater could boost the popularity of figure skating in the ALL big world... but I agree with her/him that there are a few skater, not counting the big name that were already around at 2010 olympics, because many of them already had an impact on the numbers of the skating fancomunity, that could bring many new fans in the sport:

in the men:
    Jason Brown is already doing it in the usa and thanks to his presence and showmanship can quite surely attract many new fans...
    Yuzuru hanyu... I do think that he can attract new fans, hell I've become a fan after watching his 2012 world performance, but I thnk that a medal of any metal by him wouldn't change much the popularity of skating in japan, probably it would just not drop, or not too much, after Mao and Daisuke retirement.

in the ladies:
    I'm sorry but no one of the new ladies comes to me as an "idol"... sure if one of them wins a medal it would increase the interest of the population for them, but I'm not sure that they would makea big splash outside the borders...

that said I wholeheartedly agree with Canadianskaterguy that what attract the casual viewer is the DRAMA, the COURAGE... During turin olympics I was just a kid, but still now the only thing I do remember is the Zhangs free skate, while I don't even remember the face of the winner of that nigth I remmeber clearly Zhang's fall, her tears and her smile wen they won the silver medal...

"Pretty" is the basic, not the only one, for one's popularity. Not just the face. As a figure skater, I think the body proportion and shape is quite important for viewers when they feel whether they would love her more or less. Of course, one never knows what is the standard of modern "beauty". It is too closely associated with the word "sexy".
    I don't know. All skaters move beautifully. Scott Hamilton is not handsome. Michelle Kwan is not sexy. There is just something about them that engages the viewer.

Custom Title
    weren't we talking here about ethnic background
    uh...nope:

This is typical given when Ang Lee (Taiwan) won the Oscar or Jeremy Lin (USA) became a household name, Chinese media immediately co-opted them as being "Chinese" notwithstanding there needs to be several * besides the use of word Chinese in those situations.
    Jeremy Lin's nationality was intentionally indicated with USA in ( ).

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    ... being Chinese-born, Chan ...
    CORRECTION:
    Chan is CANADIAN-born. (Ottawa-born, to be exact.)
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/Profile/ta...&strlanguage=E

Even USA doesn't recognize Taiwan as a country. ....
    Yikes, I would love to reply to this comment, but then this thread would have to be moved to the Politics forum.

... In any event, the only discipline that matters in the U.S. is the ladies, anything else is mere details.
    Jason Brown has completely nullified this conventional "wisdom," thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    ... Today, women who are distinctive get much more attention. ...
    I am only one beholder, but they get much more attention from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think pretty is overrated. There are lots of pretty skaters.

Conversely, the skaters of the past who achieved popularity -- they were OK, but no prettier than thousands of others who never made it big. The same is true of singers, actors, etc.

Custom Title
    Boosing the sports popularity. From an analytical perspective I am not sure Jason Bronw's riverdance is the answer. Why? ONe he is unlikely to medal. Two I am not sure he would bring a new or additional audience but just encoruage the diehards or current fans . His performance may be too "effeminate" for poor choice of politically improper words to garner new fans and he isn't likely to be strong enough to win a medal. He is no Katarina Witt or Candelero yet so his personality doesn't shine thrugh a lot yet. Likewise Osmond other than bubbly hasn't distinguished herself yet techincally or artistically. Davis and White have no Bolero or even Mahler and they are not magic on ice like Usova and Zhulin even without OGM or Klimova and Pomarenko. A clean Yuna whiole beautiful to watch is merely a rendition of 2010. Hanyu and chan may skate well but not really to wow more fans. There are no Duchaseneys, Ito's or even Bonaly's Gracie and Wagner are pretty princeses and Gold though good may be relying on her GOld looks! That is not performance though if we read the thread. Carolina has gone back to an old program; not sure really who could boost the popularity of the sport - who has the technical elements and personality and that stands out Lots of pretty princesses but who has something "special" that stands out like pu re power in skating or charisma. At least Plushy has his campiness and reputation to pull in viewers - an amazing performance by Plushy might help. A heart warming story like Rochette or a wardrobe malfunction sadly might boost the sports popularity.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Jason Brown has completely nullified this conventional "wisdom," thank goodness.
    I understand the excitement surrounding Jason Brown and feel it is justified. He is a special and unique skater.

However, I am not convinced he has saved Figure Skating as a sport in the U.S. quite yet. I hope he will though, just not today.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast