Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity?

Custom Title
    Julia Lipnitskaia of course. She is the youngest skater in the 2014 Olympics. She has very very good spins (nobody can do that) She has very very good program. Everybody can understand those things not just figure skating fans.

Custom Title
    I know this is technical but the thread is about boosting the popularity. Adding, creating more fans - okay I guess if you could argue Jason might boost the talk within skating diehards but right now his style and personality really demographically does not increase the fan base. His style right now doesn't seem to be appeasing to gain a greater male population. I am not sure he is going to be the Justin Bieber type either. Hair can only take you so far and I think his is mied reviews anyways though Adam Rippon and Charlie White are often known more for their hair than skating and White is world champion and future Olympic gold medallist. I don't think Hanyu really appeals to a new market nor does Yuna, Mao, Carolyn -now if an American female won gold that might be different. Polina is a bit bland but if Wagner or Gold won gold I am sure that would boost skating's popularity in the states where the market is huge for female skating fans and if there is enough sexiness and athelitciism maybe some new fans as well both male and female.

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    ....anyone can be a blonde.
    Just ask Charlie White.

http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/TeamU...Picture208.jpg

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    News, Skater Boy- there are not 3,000,000 hard core fans of skating in the U.S. Jason has already got more hits than that on his vid. Bad news is that Olympics will probably not increase his fans as much as Boston, simply because there is no way he is going to medal.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    News, Skater Boy- there are not 3,000,000 hard core fans of skating in the U.S. Jason has already got more hits than that on his vid. Bad news is that Olympics will probably not increase his fans as much as Boston, simply because there is no way he is going to medal.
    Though to play devil's advocate, it could also be 500,000 fans who have seen the video six times. I for one have seen it at least 10 times!

Though even getting 500k people to watch is still pretty impressive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    No, I think he's naturally blonde. The background there kind of distorts it

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    Do you think that Gracie is a natural blonde.....hello.....anyone can be a blonde. Take notice that she had her hair dyed lighter for the Olympics....
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    No, I think he's naturally blonde. The background there kind of distorts it
    I have to side with Mathman. Only White's "hairdresser knows for sure" , but the visual evidence is quite clear.

In photos of handsome White as an adult, his dark roots often are apparent. One of many examples (this one is from Four Continents 2013):

And here is another childhood photo showing his decidedly brown hair.

I hasten to add that artificially colored hair is not inherently unattractive to me. The trick is to make it look reasonably natural. Some people are more successful in that regard than others.

I've always found it mildly amusing that Davis dyes her hair darker than its natural color, and White goes blonder than his natural color. In any case, they both are good-looking to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I've always found it mildly amusing that Davis dyes her hair darker than its natural color, and White goes blonder than his natural color. In any case, they both are good-looking to my eyes.
    I'm pretty sure that was a conscious decision by their handlers to create a striking look. I bet Charlie can hardly wait to retire from skating so he can cut off those curls.

Here they are as children. One day when Charlie was nine years old he went to the skating rink and when he came back home he told his mom, "I just met the best skater I've ever seen in my whole life!" -- and the rest is history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzE0q9MMPWg#t=0m45s

(Hmm. If the time thing doesn't work, it starts about 0:45)
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-07-2014 at 02:32 PM.

I'm pretty sure that was a conscious decision by their handlers to create a striking look. I bet Charlie can hardly wait to retire from skating so he can cut off those curls. ...
    Agree on both counts. Achieving the striking look was successful, I would say.

(As long as we're talking about hair, I always wondered why some people criticized the longer curls that Max had earlier this season as distracting, etc. -- when everyone seems to have loved Charlie's curls for years.)

^ I think it's because Max skates like a Marine, so he ought to look like one, too.

Banned
    also charlie is better looking in general

Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    also charlie is better looking in general
    No way. Max and Charlie both are easy on the eyes.

Max is not quite tall, dark, and handsome. But he is short, dark, and handsome.

And if/when Charlie returns to his natural hair color, he too ...

Custom Title
    I think the performance that will most likely boost the sport's popularity will be Lipnitskaia's. Wherever she ends up on the podium, she will be a skate goddess in her country and will galvanize the skating program. She will symbolize Russian sports achievement to millions of her countrymen and will provide an incentive for Russia to rebuild its skating dynasty.

Custom Title
    Even in the U.S., I've seen the fairweather fans raving about her on all social media outlets.

Well, so far this weekend Julia has beaten Kostner, Asada, Wagner, Gold, Suzuki, and Osmond. Only Kim stands athwart the tracks to derail the Lipnitskia Express.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast