Past Oscar Mistakes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Past Oscar Mistakes

Soogar,
Speaking of "Dancer in the Dark," I just saw that it will be on the Independent Film Channel tonight (check local listings for time). For the hordes of other Lars von Trier/Bjork fans;) who haven't seen "Dancer," if this will be your first time seeing it look for a great tap performance by Joel Grey as Oldrich Novy in the trial scenes. Joel Grey is best know for his role as the master of ceremonies in the movie version of "Cabaret" (1972), for which he won Best Supporting Actor--deservedly so--and which I think he also played on Broadway.

Peter Stomare plays the man who wants to woo Bjork and ignore Catherine Deneuve. You may remember him from the taciturn woodchipper killer in "Fargo" and his brief appearance as Juliette Binoche's former lover in "Damaged."

Also look for TJ Rizzo as Boris (nonspeaking role, dancer and the guy who plays the von Trapp Bjork as Maria has so much difficulty seeing to get across the stage to as they rehearse "So Long, Farewell" in the musical within the musical "The Sound of Music." Who is TJ Rizzo? TJ and Rgirl danced studied dance at the same university and danced in the same company after we graduated. We were close friends for about 20 years, then TJ took a job in Sweden teaching theater at the University of Goteberg. We'd lost touch after about 1995, though I figured he was still in Sweden. I'd seen "Dancer in the Dark" about 10 times and about six months ago when it was on I was reading the credits and thought, "I could've sworn it said 'TJ Rizzo." I looked it up on imdb.com and sure enough, it was Tony Joe. Ya nevah know where you're gonna run into an old pal. We started e-mailing, hence the dirt on Bjork and other von Triers, "Dancer" gossip.

Don't all rush to your IFC channels at once, you might wreck the cable signal:p Not exactly a blockbuster, lol, but it busted a block in my heart--aww.
Rgirl

soogar

Record Breaker
Bjork was really bad to work with but it was b/c she was getting so emotional doing that role that made her so crazy. I can totally see it as Dancer in the Dark , like all other Trier movies is really dark. I was bawling during his movie Breaking the Waves? w Emily Watson and Stellen Kaarsgaard sp? and Dancer really bummed me out as well. Bjork was really terrific in the movie b/c she embodied the part. I imagine that was really hard on her mentally which is why she hasn't acted since.

Bjork doesn't do anything halfway.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Bjork, is only a bi**h when she has a VERY good reason.. She is one of the sweetest and honest people in entertainment.. It's too bad she retired from acting after her only movie Dancer In the Dark, which she was brilliant.. Maybe she will change her mind.. I know her swan dress was a bit much for the red carpet several years ago at Oscars.. BUT It was VERY appropriate for her since she is very into nature and helping cure the world.. Plus, a close friend of hers made it.. So I give her cudo's for her swan dress! Plus, her album Vespertine has images of swans on the cover.. So again VERY apropriate.. I hope she comes out with a new album soon.. I've about worn out all my Bjork cd's.. Ive loved her voice sooo much since the early 90's..Like no other .........Peace

soogar

Record Breaker
On Bjork's website, she said that she was coming out with a new album this year. I don't know why she got so much flack for that swan dress. I loved it and it was really original and tasteful. Bjork is a true original and is the only pop star to have her own style in both music and clothing. At least she's not running around like Christina Aguilera showing off her body and telling the whole world how great a singer she is.