Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Past Oscar Mistakes

Well move over, Johar, I'm with you.....I'm a lot older than 35, and I loved LOTR................42

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by show 42
    Well move over, Johar, I'm with you.....I'm a lot older than 35, and I loved LOTR................42
    Scoot over Show and Johar to make room for me As I said before, I was never into Tolkien or the whole genre of wizards, dragons, elves, etc. in books or film. And while I didn't love LOTR the way I love films such as "To Kill a Mockingbird," "The Apartment," "Raging Bull," "Some Like it Hot," "Citizen Kane," "In the Bedroom," "The Thin Blue Line," "Gates of Heaven," "Lord of the Flies" (1963), "Jules and Jim," "Pauline at the Beach," and other films on my "to die for" list, IMO the LOTR trilogy transcended its own genre and became "genreless" in that it is not only a classic, but also timeless. I'd love to watch the full trilogy in a theater with a great screen, print, and sound system--with food and powder room breaks, natch--but I would want to do so sitting in a La-Z-Boy. Ya gotta admit, LOTR is tough on the back and butt It's worthi it, I just would enjoy it more in a nice comfy recliner.
    Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 03-07-2004 at 08:58 AM.

I'd love to watch the full trilogy in a theater with a great screen, print, and sound system--with food and powder room breaks, natch--but I would want to do so sitting in a La-Z-Boy. Ya gotta admit, LOTR is tough on the back and butt It's worthi it, I just would enjoy it more in a nice comfy recliner.
    So true, Rgirl, which is what I intend to do when it comes out on DVD.........spend one whole day watching all three installments................now that's what I call a "recliner potato" .

Custom Title
    I've already got the extended ROTK ordered. I know the exact date I will be picking it up and I've already got the couch potato party planned. I keep threatening to make people watch all the movies in row and then go back through for the commentaries.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    skatepixie:

Ghandi boring? one of the best performances of all time from Ben Kingsley! You must be kidding. The historical siginificance of the character alone is larger than life. Now 2001 a Space Odessy that was a snoozer....zzzzz.....

No wonder Oliver won.

Ahhh mpal.........yet another kindred spirit......love it, love it.....42

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ladskater
    No wonder Oliver won.
    I would have given it to "The Lion in Winter" myself.

Custom Title
    I think that the person who was robbed the most was Bjork. I loved her in that Lars von Trier movie (the name escapes me) where she played the blind factory worker and she wasn't even nominated in the best actress category. She was brilliant in that flick.

The Academy totally got it wrong with Halle Berry b/c she was horrible in Monster's Ball except for the last scene when she realizes Billy Bob Thornton's character's participation in her husband's death and you can see the realization and resignation in her eyes as she's eating the ice cream (that was pretty good acting) but not enough to win an Oscar.

As for Charlize, I haven't seen her movie but looking at the clips on TV, it doesn't strike me anything spectacular.

Nicole Kidman was horrible as Virginia Woolf but she was terrific in The Others and she should have been nominated for that one.

Haley Joel Osment should have won for the 6th Sense. He's a terrific actor however I have the feeling he won't be doing too many films now that he's older and is experiencing a very awkward adolescence.

Custom Title
    Ladskater,

I completely agree about "Ghandi"! The book that the movie was based on was terrific and I felt they did a wonderful job of bringing it to life. Certainly, everyone is different, but I thought there were so many beautiful things about "Ghandi" the movie. Ben Kingsley made one of those epic transformations that Oscar just loves, but I happen to feel it is one of the best (though I haven't seen "Monster" yet). I didn't recognize him. He looked completely different, but more than that he seemed to fully embody his character and gave a more than convincing performance.

Soogar,

Bjork was wonderful in "Dancer in the Dark" (I think that is the title). Perhaps she was and is just too far from the mainstream for the Academy. I happen to think she is extremely talented and would love to see her in more movies.

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by soogar
    I think that the person who was robbed the most was Bjork. I loved her in that Lars von Trier movie (the name escapes me) where she played the blind factory worker and she wasn't even nominated in the best actress category. She was brilliant in that flick.
    "Dancer in the Dark" and ITA. Bjork wuz robbed, as was von Triers for directing. I love this movie, even though I think von Triers should have stuck to his own script and had a black woman play the part that Catherine Deneuve played, except it's typical "Dogma '98" to do that. I mean, it is pretty hilarious to see guys lusting after Bjork while completely ignoring Deneuve. I've always wanted to see a musical done that way--like people in the 7-11 dancing and singing as if it were just part of everyday life. Some people made such a big deal about how innovative "Chicago" was because the musical numbers were inside Roxie's head. Dennis Potter did that way back in "Pennies from Heaven," which, BTW, if anybody adores Christopher Walken's dancing, the only place its greatness is captured on film other than the "Weapon of Choice" video is in the 1980 version of "Pennies from Heaven" with Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters, which the critics slammed. It's one of my favorite movies. And I bet some musical before that at least alluded to musical numbers as happening inside the main character's head. "Dancer in the Dark" is almost like a hyperealistic operetta. Bjork is amazing in it, but I understand she was a raging b***h to work with. Ah, these artists.

VIETgrlTerifa--
    I love "The Lion in Winter." Of the five nominees for Best Picture in 1968, that would be my choice too, since "2001" wasn't even nominated for BP, which, love it or hate it, is a travesty. The five movies nominted were: "Oliver," "Funny Girl!" "Romeo and Juliet," The Lion in Winter," and "Rachel, Rachel." "Lion" definitely had the best acting of all the films, IMO; in fact some of the best acting ever in a film before or since. Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole duking it out for power at the height of their powers as actors is a wonder to behold, as well as watching a nascent Anthony Hopkins.

Kubrick was nominated for Best Director, and "2001" received three other nominations, but it only won for Best Visual Effects. I would have nominated Douglas Rain, who did the voice of HAL, for a Best Supporting Actor if not Best Actor since I think HAL has the most lines in the film--and certainly the greatest emotional range. I would put a "LOL" there, but it's true. When I saw "2001" in 1970 at age 14, even then I knew I was watching something extraordinary. I never tire of watching it.

Of the '68 BP nominees, I would put them in this order (first to last):
    "The Lion in Winter"
    "Funny Girl!"
    "Romeo and Juliet"
    "Rachel, Rachel"
    "Oliver!"
    And of those, only "Rachel, Rachel" (adapted from the novel) isn't a play put on film. I have nothing against plays put on film; I think the BP nominees for '68 show how much turmoil the country was in. Institutions like the Academy became more conservative as the country went nuts all around them. Nope, the Academy wasn't going to nominate a movie like "2001" for much in those times. It was too much like real life in that it was so surreal.
    Rgirl

Custom Woman
    Soogar,
    Speaking of "Dancer in the Dark," I just saw that it will be on the Independent Film Channel tonight (check local listings for time). For the hordes of other Lars von Trier/Bjork fans who haven't seen "Dancer," if this will be your first time seeing it look for a great tap performance by Joel Grey as Oldrich Novy in the trial scenes. Joel Grey is best know for his role as the master of ceremonies in the movie version of "Cabaret" (1972), for which he won Best Supporting Actor--deservedly so--and which I think he also played on Broadway.

Peter Stomare plays the man who wants to woo Bjork and ignore Catherine Deneuve. You may remember him from the taciturn woodchipper killer in "Fargo" and his brief appearance as Juliette Binoche's former lover in "Damaged."

Also look for TJ Rizzo as Boris (nonspeaking role, dancer and the guy who plays the von Trapp Bjork as Maria has so much difficulty seeing to get across the stage to as they rehearse "So Long, Farewell" in the musical within the musical "The Sound of Music." Who is TJ Rizzo? TJ and Rgirl danced studied dance at the same university and danced in the same company after we graduated. We were close friends for about 20 years, then TJ took a job in Sweden teaching theater at the University of Goteberg. We'd lost touch after about 1995, though I figured he was still in Sweden. I'd seen "Dancer in the Dark" about 10 times and about six months ago when it was on I was reading the credits and thought, "I could've sworn it said 'TJ Rizzo." I looked it up on imdb.com and sure enough, it was Tony Joe. Ya nevah know where you're gonna run into an old pal. We started e-mailing, hence the dirt on Bjork and other von Triers, "Dancer" gossip.

Don't all rush to your IFC channels at once, you might wreck the cable signal Not exactly a blockbuster, lol, but it busted a block in my heart--aww.
    Rgirl

Custom Title
    Bjork was really bad to work with but it was b/c she was getting so emotional doing that role that made her so crazy. I can totally see it as Dancer in the Dark , like all other Trier movies is really dark. I was bawling during his movie Breaking the Waves? w Emily Watson and Stellen Kaarsgaard sp? and Dancer really bummed me out as well. Bjork was really terrific in the movie b/c she embodied the part. I imagine that was really hard on her mentally which is why she hasn't acted since.

Bjork doesn't do anything halfway.

Custom Title
    Bjork, is only a bi**h when she has a VERY good reason.. She is one of the sweetest and honest people in entertainment.. It's too bad she retired from acting after her only movie Dancer In the Dark, which she was brilliant.. Maybe she will change her mind.. I know her swan dress was a bit much for the red carpet several years ago at Oscars.. BUT It was VERY appropriate for her since she is very into nature and helping cure the world.. Plus, a close friend of hers made it.. So I give her cudo's for her swan dress! Plus, her album Vespertine has images of swans on the cover.. So again VERY apropriate.. I hope she comes out with a new album soon.. I've about worn out all my Bjork cd's.. Ive loved her voice sooo much since the early 90's..Like no other .........Peace

Custom Title
    On Bjork's website, she said that she was coming out with a new album this year. I don't know why she got so much flack for that swan dress. I loved it and it was really original and tasteful. Bjork is a true original and is the only pop star to have her own style in both music and clothing. At least she's not running around like Christina Aguilera showing off her body and telling the whole world how great a singer she is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3