Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Men’s Ski Jumping

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Oops. I thought I had posted a comment about the Team Competition! Oh, well - it's too late now!

But, well done to Germany for winning. I honestly thought Freund hadn't jumped far enough for Germany to pinch the win from Austria. But he was VERY fortunate with the compensation he got.

And Nori Kasai got his second Olympic Medal!!! I never realised that Olympic Medals were like busses - 22 years with no medals, and then 2 come along at once!

But my special mention has to go to Thomas Morgenstern, who put in two good jumps in the Team competition. Yes, they were shorter than his team-mates, but considering what he has gone through the past couple of months, and the disappointing results he had in the Individual competitions at the Olympics, these were something to be proud of.

Today is the first Men's Ski Jumping World Cup competition since the Olympics today, and I wanted to update you on a couple of pieces of news.

Firstly, when commentating on yesterday's qualification at Falun, David Goldstrom told us that Thomas Morgenstern has announced that he is going to sit out the rest of this season.

To be honest, I don't blame him. After the injuries he has got in the past couple of months, I was amazed that he went to Sochi at all. So, I think he deserves a rest to get fully recovered.

Although Morgi hasn't said anything for definite, there have been rumours floating around since his crash at Kulm that he has decided to give up Ski Flying (it was on the Flying Hill that he had his crash, after all). There has also been speculation that he would retire from all ski jumping after the Olympics.

So, we shall have to see whether this break is temporary, or whether it turns out to be permanent.

Whatever happens, I wish Tommy all the best for his recuperation. I also want to thank him for entertaining us over the years and congratulate him for the success he has had in his career up to now.

On a different note, David also pointed out that, after getting the double at Willingen and the double at Sochi, Kamil Stoch is now on a run of FOUR wins on the trot. The current record for most consecutive wins belongs to Simon Ammann, who won SEVEN competitions on the trot in 2010. And, yes, Simon's double win at the Vancouver Olympics is part of that run.

There are still nine rounds of the Men's World Cup left, so although Stoch is currently on a run of form, it is still wide open as to who will get their hands on the Crystal Globe this season.

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Nori Kasai made my Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    I never realised that Olympic Medals were like busses - 22 years with no medals, and then 2 come along at once!
    He won a silver in 1994 in team competition, so he has 3 Olympics Medal now

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aniela View Post
    He won a silver in 1994 in team competition, so he has 3 Olympics Medal now
    Ah! I didn't realise that Japan were on the podium in the 1994 Team Competition. I'm too young to remember the 1994 Games! (OK, so I was 8. But, I wasn't into wintersports back then!)

What I did know was that Japan won the Team Competition in 1998, and that "Happy" Harada was chosen instead of Nori. And I know that because David Goldstrom keeps mentioning it in commentary, and saying that the Japanese coaches made a big mistake in not choosing Kasai, because Harada very nearly lost it for Japan by making a hash of one of his jumps.

Back to the present, and I have some good news, and some worrying news for Nori fans. In his first jump in Falun yesterday, Kasai equaled the hill record of 133m set a couple of jumps earlier by Severin Freund!!! (Freund led going into the second round, as he got better style points).

HOWEVER, after the jump, Nori was clutching his right knee, and walked off with a very bad limp. To my surprise, he came out and did his second jump (130.5m), and afterwards he went off in an even worse state!

So, I don't know if we will be seeing Kasai in Lahti over the weekend, or Kuopio in the middle of next week.

For the record, Freund set another hill record of 135m in the second round, and so ended Kamil Stoch's run of wins.

Stoch had had a short jump in the first round, which left him down in 13th position. But, he more than made up for it in the second round with a jump of 134.5m... and judges scores consisting of four 19.5's and a 20.0!!! But, it was too much ground to make up, and he finished up in 4th.

CaroLiza_fan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3