Men’s Ski Jumping | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men’s Ski Jumping

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I thought there couldn't possibly be another finish as exciting as there was to the Women's Cross Country this morning.

How wrong was I?!

I was getting just as excited towards the end of the Big Hill competition!!!

In the first round, Noriaki Kasai and Kamil Stoch both jumped 139.0m. But, Kamil took the lead because each judge gave him 0.5 points more than Nori. And, Nori had a bigger wind deduction.

Third in the first round was Severin Freund, with Petr Prevc 4th.

Simon Ammann was only 29th in the first round, jumping 125m. And although he got 131m in the 2nd round, it only moved him up to 23rd overall.

Notable names that didn't make it to the 2nd round included Morgi, who finished 40th with a jump of 122m. Diethart was 32nd, with a jump of 126.5m. And Andreas Wellinger, who finished 45th after jumping 117m, and did not have a good landing.

Despite hurting himself last week, and being told to sit out for 6 weeks, Robert Kranjec was back jumping 5 days later! :eek: He finished 37th in the first round, with a jump of 125.5m. As Patrick Winterton said in commentary, the good news to take from this is that he won't jump in the 2nd round, and so will get some more rest before the Team Competition on Monday.

The 2nd round got interesting very quickly. Russian veteran Demitri Vassiliev only finished 25th in the first round. But in the 2nd round got the longest jump of the day with 144.5m! Unfortunately, his bum and then both his hands touched the snow, so his style points were very low. But, even if he had got a good landing, he wouldn't have won anyway with his first round effort.

Marinus Kraus jumped just after Vassiliev, and ended up leading for most of the competition! It was only towards the end of the competition that he relinquished the lead, eventually finishing 6th.

It soon got VERY exciting. Prevc jumped, and then Freund slotted in behind him. This left the Top 2 - Kasai and Stoch.

Kasai jumped, and reached 133.5m. And the whole place erupted when he took the lead! All the Japanese jumpers ran out and give Nori a massive group hug! :biggrin:

Then it was Stoch. He jumped, and only managed 132.5m. And there was a tense wait for the judges scores to come through.

As it happened, there was practically no difference between Kasai and Stoch in terms of judges scores or compensation. So, Stoch won due to his advantage from the first round.

I LOVE Nori, so I was absolutely gutted. But, Nori wasn't too disappointed... he was delighted!!! And so was the TV director. When Stoch was being carried around the out-run by his team-mates, the TV cameras were firmly focussed Kasai! :laugh:

And when they were marching out for the podium ceremony, it was Kasai who was visibly happiest. Whereas the others were just walking out, Nori was waving to the crowds. You could see his smile for miles! When they reached the podium, Nori had a massive jump up in the air when he was given the flowers. He was absolutely loving it!!!

And so was everybody watching!!! ;)

So, Stoch has become only the third person to win the Olympic double.

But, the interesting thing was - it was the current Top 3 in the World Cup standings that were on the podium. The leader won, while Prevc and Kasai just swapped positions.

A great competition, and a great result. Roll on the Team Competition! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Noriaki Kasai is a wonder. Honestly, those guys could be his children and he is besting them. Would have loved to see him win. That was really exciting.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
The tension was unbelievable! It could've gone either way, although it is commonly known Stoch's style is nearly perfect and he usually gets good points from the judges. His first jump was poetry!

Kasai was phenomenal. 42 years of age and the longest jumps of the competition. Just wow.

You need to remember though that Vassiliev and Kraus jumped from a different gate than the top guys, thus the long jumps.

Interestingly, with the jumps of today, Japan would've won the team competition, with Poland in second. Wouldn't that be a surprising team podium? :)

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I wish Kasai had won, but regardless it was a fantastic competition.

Also really happy with Mackenzie Boyd-Clowes finishing 25th, his best ever finish in a major tournament.

Manitou

Medalist
The Story So Far

In the few years leading up to Vancouver, the story in Ski Jumping was largely a tale of 3 men ...

etc.... (the rest of nonsense deleted)...

So much for this complete nonsense. You appear to be as good in predicting ski jumping as I am in predicting figure skating.. lol
I even learned to avoid predicting figure skating because it's going exactly opposite. And with my faves losing! :laugh:

I like when John McEnroe predicts tennis slam winners. It's always exactly opposite. My wife is closer predicting who is on the rise and who is going down in tennis than John is. With the difference John is paid for it and my wife isn't.. :laugh:

And my wife is also great in figure skating predictions. Unfortunately I cannot publish it because it will jinx it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You need to remember though that Vassiliev and Kraus jumped from a different gate than the top guys, thus the long jumps.

Erm, did the gate change not come in between Vassiliev and Kraus' jumps. Because I distinctly remember thinking "Ah, they're changing the gate because we just had a very long jump". Or, am I getting mixed up with another gate change?

Interestingly, with the jumps of today, Japan would've won the team competition, with Poland in second. Wouldn't that be a surprising team podium? :)

It would indeed! And it would be great as well, given how inconsistent these jumpers have been over the past season or two! Stoch and Kasai are the only guys from these teams that have been consistently near the top this year. So, it would be great to see their team-mates come into form at just the right time.

So much for this complete nonsense. You appear to be as good in predicting ski jumping as I am in predicting figure skating.. lol

And that is why I love ski jumping - it is unpredictable! Yes, you have jumpers that tend to be near the top. But, it is all down to what they can do on the day, and the conditions that are presented to them. So, we can have people come out of no-where and do well.

Although, I should add - it was not toally unexpected for Kasai to get on the podium yesterday, as he does tend to do well on the bigger hills. As I said at the start of this thread:

Other names to look out for include Noriaki Kasai. The oldest regular competitor in the World Cup at 41 years old, he recently had his first World Cup win in 10 years. Nori has also been having a very good season, and is currently lying 4th overall in the World Cup standings. A dark horse for an Olympic medal, particularly in the Ski Flying!

OK, so the Olympics were on a Big Hill, rather than a Flying Hill. But, it still proved big enough for Nori! ;) :biggrin:

I even learned to avoid predicting figure skating because it's going exactly opposite. And with my faves losing! :laugh:

And my wife is also great in figure skating predictions. Unfortunately I cannot publish it because it will jinx it.

You know, that was what I was worried about when I first started playing the GP Predictions Game. And, sure enough, I did tend to jinx my favourites!

Sure, it was totally my fault that Plushy ended his career the way he did! I predicted him to be on the podium in the Olympics Individual competition. And next thing you know, he hurts himself doing a jump in the warm-up, and has to withdraw.

I'M SO SORRY ZHENYA!!!

And that is why I was nervous about doing predictions for the Olympics, because I really want my favourites to do well. But, since I somehow ended up running the Predictions Games, it would look bad if I didn't join in! Plus, it is actually really fun! ;)

I hope you and your wife's predictions are going well, and that you are not jinxing your favourites this time!

CaroLiza_fan

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Erm, did the gate change not come in between Vassiliev and Kraus' jumps. Because I distinctly remember thinking "Ah, they're changing the gate because we just had a very long jump". Or, am I getting mixed up with another gate change?

IIRC they changed the gate twice. First time between Vassiliev and Kraus and then again some time after Kraus. But I might be wrong.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
IIRC they changed the gate twice. First time between Vassiliev and Kraus and then again some time after Kraus. But I might be wrong.

Vassiliev jumped from gate 33, they moved it to 32 for Kraus and to 31 for Schlierenzauer.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Vassiliev jumped from gate 33, they moved it to 32 for Kraus and to 31 for Schlierenzauer.

Right. Thank you SimplyLex and Near. I only noticed one of the gate changes.

Anyway, just a wee reminder that the Team Big Hill competition will be starting in around 45 minutes, i.e when Nathalie and Fabian are getting their scores.

Now, because they are showing curling, BBCi1 will not be joining the Ski Jumping Normal Hill competition today until 18:00 GMT.

HOWEVER, the ski jumping will be shown in its entirety on the BBC website, from 17:10 GMT.

Official BBC Livestream Channel

This is NOT the same livestreaming channel that was used for any of the previous competitions.

BBCi1 is available via:

BBCi1 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 301 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 977 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the skating is labelled “BBC RB 1

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
After Dance was over I watched the jumping and wow, that was really exciting. Favourite moment was when they didn't show the marks on the screen, but somehow the Austrian marks. But then the german team went tumbling down, and it was clear they realized they made it! They were so happy, amazing. Good job! :yay:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oops. I thought I had posted a comment about the Team Competition! Oh, well - it's too late now!

But, well done to Germany for winning. I honestly thought Freund hadn't jumped far enough for Germany to pinch the win from Austria. But he was VERY fortunate with the compensation he got.

And Nori Kasai got his second Olympic Medal!!! :biggrin: I never realised that Olympic Medals were like busses - 22 years with no medals, and then 2 come along at once!

But my special mention has to go to Thomas Morgenstern, who put in two good jumps in the Team competition. Yes, they were shorter than his team-mates, but considering what he has gone through the past couple of months, and the disappointing results he had in the Individual competitions at the Olympics, these were something to be proud of.

Today is the first Men's Ski Jumping World Cup competition since the Olympics today, and I wanted to update you on a couple of pieces of news.

Firstly, when commentating on yesterday's qualification at Falun, David Goldstrom told us that Thomas Morgenstern has announced that he is going to sit out the rest of this season.

To be honest, I don't blame him. After the injuries he has got in the past couple of months, I was amazed that he went to Sochi at all. So, I think he deserves a rest to get fully recovered.

Although Morgi hasn't said anything for definite, there have been rumours floating around since his crash at Kulm that he has decided to give up Ski Flying (it was on the Flying Hill that he had his crash, after all). There has also been speculation that he would retire from all ski jumping after the Olympics.

So, we shall have to see whether this break is temporary, or whether it turns out to be permanent.

Whatever happens, I wish Tommy all the best for his recuperation. I also want to thank him for entertaining us over the years and congratulate him for the success he has had in his career up to now.

On a different note, David also pointed out that, after getting the double at Willingen and the double at Sochi, Kamil Stoch is now on a run of FOUR wins on the trot. The current record for most consecutive wins belongs to Simon Ammann, who won SEVEN competitions on the trot in 2010. And, yes, Simon's double win at the Vancouver Olympics is part of that run.

There are still nine rounds of the Men's World Cup left, so although Stoch is currently on a run of form, it is still wide open as to who will get their hands on the Crystal Globe this season.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
He won a silver in 1994 in team competition, so he has 3 Olympics Medal now :)

Ah! I didn't realise that Japan were on the podium in the 1994 Team Competition. I'm too young to remember the 1994 Games! ;) :laugh: (OK, so I was 8. But, I wasn't into wintersports back then!)

What I did know was that Japan won the Team Competition in 1998, and that "Happy" Harada was chosen instead of Nori. And I know that because David Goldstrom keeps mentioning it in commentary, and saying that the Japanese coaches made a big mistake in not choosing Kasai, because Harada very nearly lost it for Japan by making a hash of one of his jumps.

Back to the present, and I have some good news, and some worrying news for Nori fans. In his first jump in Falun yesterday, Kasai equaled the hill record of 133m set a couple of jumps earlier by Severin Freund!!! :biggrin: (Freund led going into the second round, as he got better style points).

HOWEVER, after the jump, Nori was clutching his right knee, and walked off with a very bad limp. To my surprise, he came out and did his second jump (130.5m), and afterwards he went off in an even worse state!

So, I don't know if we will be seeing Kasai in Lahti over the weekend, or Kuopio in the middle of next week.

For the record, Freund set another hill record of 135m in the second round, and so ended Kamil Stoch's run of wins.

Stoch had had a short jump in the first round, which left him down in 13th position. But, he more than made up for it in the second round with a jump of 134.5m... and judges scores consisting of four 19.5's and a 20.0!!! :eek: But, it was too much ground to make up, and he finished up in 4th.

CaroLiza_fan