Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Social media/media roundup thread!

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I have to admit the twit of Lysacek caught me so surprised, it is not about being politically correct but how much of a bigger person he is.

  2. #17
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,813
    Very nice reminiscence about Alexei Mishin's kindness and Olympic spirit -- from Coach Tom Zakrajsek's Facebook page. Long-ish, but worth reading.

    (Tom Z will be in Sochi as a coach of Paul Bonifacio Parkinson of Team Italy.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Looks like quite a few US skaters are stopping in Germany on their way to Sochi: http://instagram.com/p/j_b2qnzXCk/ ...
    As an aside: all Team USA athletes (from all sports, not limited to figure skating) are passing through Munich for team processing.

  3. #18
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,813
    Respect to Matt Lauer , who stood next to Castelli/Shnapir on the Today show this morning -- and who still managed to interview them without asking about their heights and their difference in height, LOL. (It was a nice interview discussing the team event, the support they are receiving from Rhode Island (in Marissa's case) and the Boston area, Simon's roots in Russia, etc.)

    OTOH, Lauer said [I'm paraphrasing], "Everyone thinks the glamour sport of the Winter Games is figure skating, but I think it is women's hockey." Not surprisingly, he said so as he was interviewing some Team USA women's hockey players. (He went on to say how competitive women's hockey is and how exciting to watch.)

    ~~~~~~~~

    Cross-posting from one of the umpteen team event threads:

    ‏@USFigureSkating
    TEAM EVENT in 140 CHAR: 10 nations, points based on placement in each segment, 5 make free skate, 3 earn medals. Teams can make 2 exchanges.
    1:28 AM - 4 Feb 2014
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...33848993378304

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    I'm waiting for the NBC fluff with Plushenko presented as Russian Villain. It's his 4th and last Olympic fluff, it'd better be the best of them!

  5. #20
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Respect to Matt Lauer , who stood next to Castelli/Shnapir on the Today show this morning -- and who still managed to interview them without asking about their heights and their difference in height, LOL.
    Agreed - it's always nice when interviewers stay clear of the blindingly obvious. (My "favourite" being when the athlete is in tears, distraught and looks like their life has lost all meaning and the journalist asks: "So, things didn't go very well for you today. How do you feel?" and shoves mike into athlete's face.) Also, how tedious must that get to answer time and time again? I know that when I'm asked the same question or hear the same joke about my quirks for the fifty-eleventh time, it gets really tedious. And the poor athletes must always be cheerful about it at all times - else they are nasty, unpleasant, Bad People. Ooops! That was a bit of a rant, wasn't it?

  6. #21
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I'm waiting for the NBC fluff with Plushenko presented as Russian Villain. It's his 4th and last Olympic fluff, it'd better be the best of them!
    I don't know... NBC's Plushy coverage so far has been quite... benign, actually. But, I agree, if they are to do one, it should be one for the ages. Considering this is Plushy's fourth and last Olympics, I will settle for nothing less than Most Exalted Super Villain in the History of All Sports (not just figure skating). And the music choice better be good as well!

  7. #22
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,389
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...011456/photo/1


    U.S. Figure Skating
    ‏@USFigureSkating
    This drawing from @sim_es_aba is one of the best things you'll see today. Awesome! #GoTeamUSA pic.twitter.com/AFgq2aL5Z3
    10:10 AM - 5 Feb 2014

    The fan who drew it is from Sendai, Japan. I LOVE IT. So cute and adorable and quite true to form -- Jason's Russian spilt, Charlie and Meryl's curve lift (and Charlie's hair, hehe) and the Shibutanis' Thriller pose.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    289

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I don't know... NBC's Plushy coverage so far has been quite... benign, actually. But, I agree, if they are to do one, it should be one for the ages. Considering this is Plushy's fourth and last Olympics, I will settle for nothing less than Most Exalted Super Villain in the History of All Sports (not just figure skating). And the music choice better be good as well!
    Yeah, I hope they invited Daniel Craig as guest star..

  10. #25
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,813
    Jason Brown, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Gold just appeared for a couple of seconds on "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams."

    The closing tape piece was about a female Team USA moguls skier who broke her leg while training in Sochi this week, but who insisted on walking with crutches in the Opening Ceremony.

    The Team USA skaters -- at the Opening Ceremony in their official sweaters -- said how inspiring she was to them.

    They all were standing in a row together, but at first I didn't even recognize them ... until Jason's voice rose above the others with his distinctive inflection and energetic warmth as he expressed support for her.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    619
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNN9vW2_2uQ

    behind the scene...making photos for Vogue February 2014 including Ilinykh & Katsalapov, Ovechkin

  12. #27
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,389
    Jason Brown posted one of his famous photo collages on Instagram after the team event: http://instagram.com/p/kQBSipTXCn/

    I don't even know where to begin...The team event was absolutely incredible! From start to finish, the excitement just continued to build...I am so honored to be a part of this team, and to have represented team USA in the first ever figure skating team event! Im so proud of my teammates and the performances they put out! I've looked up to these 7 athletes for years...whether watching them through my computer, screaming at the TV, or cheering as a huge fan from the stands at completions they are my heroes, my role models, and now and forever, my teammates. They've been huge inspirations to me, so standing on that medal stand tonight, alongside them was truly special...It's a moment I will never forget and sharing it with these 7 unbelievable athletes was beyond a dream come true. We will always be Olympic Bronze Medalists together, as a TEAM!! #sochi2014 #teamusa

    Now everyone say it with me. "AWWWWWWWWWWW."

    Also impressed that he typed that whole thing from his phone.

    Meryl Davis did too: http://instagram.com/p/kOjS5hjEYr/
    Team USA! So proud to be a part of such a group! We've become so close and a true team. Thanks everyone back home for the love and support! 🇺🇸 ✌️#teamusa #sochi2014

  13. #28
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Jason Brown posted one of his famous photo collages on Instagram after the team event: http://instagram.com/p/kQBSipTXCn/

    I don't even know where to begin...The team event was absolutely incredible! From start to finish, the excitement just continued to build...I am so honored to be a part of this team, and to have represented team USA in the first ever figure skating team event! Im so proud of my teammates and the performances they put out! I've looked up to these 7 athletes for years...whether watching them through my computer, screaming at the TV, or cheering as a huge fan from the stands at completions they are my heroes, my role models, and now and forever, my teammates. They've been huge inspirations to me, so standing on that medal stand tonight, alongside them was truly special...It's a moment I will never forget and sharing it with these 7 unbelievable athletes was beyond a dream come true. We will always be Olympic Bronze Medalists together, as a TEAM!! #sochi2014 #teamusa

    Now everyone say it with me. "AWWWWWWWWWWW."

    Also impressed that he typed that whole thing from his phone.

    Meryl Davis did too: http://instagram.com/p/kOjS5hjEYr/
    Team USA! So proud to be a part of such a group! We've become so close and a true team. Thanks everyone back home for the love and support! ���� ✌️#teamusa #sochi2014
    That completely personifies who he is. What a special person. Love the collage. Thank you for sharing. Just put a big smile on my face.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,163
    Maia and Alex Shibutani seem to be having a wonderful time at their first Olympics. They are doing a lot to share their experiences and represent the sport in a positive way.

    Interview with MSNBC:
    https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-alex-...g-142564419845

    PEOPLE Magazine feature describing walking into the stadium during Opening Ceremonies:
    http://www.people.com/people/shared/...785314,00.html

  15. #30
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,971
    Evgeni Plushenko‏@EvgeniPlushenko·15 min
    Хочу поздравить Юзуру Ханю,Патрика Чана и Дениса Тена с олимпийскими медалями!

    Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews·12 min
    RT @EvgeniPlushenko: I want to congratulate Yuzuru Hanyu, Patrick Chan and Denis Ten for Olympic medals!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •