Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated

If anyone is interested US magazine has an Olympic Collectors edition out right now. There are beautiful photos of Gracie, Ashley,
D & W, Shibutani's. They talk about the rivalries of Tara and Michelle, Lyacek and Johnny, battle of the Brians. There are also some old Olympic stories of Harding/ Kerrigan, Hamill and Yamaguchi. There are also stories on other Olympic athletes.

Ooh, thanks! I'll check that out at the local newsstands.

This. Is. Perfection. It's a motion shot but it looks like there is no tension in her body; she looks completely relaxed. This stag jump position is amazing! Her lines in this shot...and against the plain black background...it's just stunning. :love: So beautiful, elegant...one of my all-time favorite pics of her.

What a great picture of Michelle! I had forgotten it. Great to have the opportunity to see it again.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think gracie was photographed lying on the floor, not in mid air as she appears.

bekalc

Record Breaker
i wouldn't worry though I wouldn't mind seeing D and W get silver; I really like V and M's long program now. Though it would be nice for D and W to get a gold I really think the Canadians deserve it technically and artistically.

I prefer the Canadians too... Although I'm not a fan of their free. I think though they are more of what ice dance should be.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What a great picture of Michelle! I had forgotten it. Great to have the opportunity to see it again.

That is a beautiful, effortless looking understated cover. To think Gold even touches the amount of coverage Kwan had is ridiculous. People expect Kwan to win (Yu Na too), but people *hope* Gold will win. Huge difference.

desertskates

Medalist
I bought the US magazine today. Very nice profiles of the skaters. A pricey $10, but well worth it. They revisit some past skaters and give great insight into the other sports.

desertskates

Medalist
I think gracie was photographed lying on the floor, not in mid air as she appears.

Though I think it's a great picture, the lying on the floor thing makes a lot of sense when I look at it again. I just wish someone had taken off those blade guards!

millie

Medalist
This. Is. Perfection. It's a motion shot but it looks like there is no tension in her body; she looks completely relaxed. This stag jump position is amazing! Her lines in this shot...and against the plain black background...it's just stunning. :love: So beautiful, elegant...one of my all-time favorite pics of her.

It would have looked more realistic if they took her skate guards off......you can see she is not jumping on the ice, probably lying on the floor to get that amazing position. That's why she looks so relaxed lol. Sports Illustrated botched this one.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't see the big deal with Gracie and her skate guards. Who cares, it's just a cover shoot? I think it's a nice photo myself.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't see the big deal with Gracie and her skate guards. Who cares, it's just a cover shoot? I think it's a nice photo myself.

I didn't either. I believe what was likely was it was a shot in a studio and she needed to keep them on.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Who cares because it is just a cover shoot?? Huh? That is the only reason why I care. If it was a small pic in a bio article on her I'd let it pass. But this is the cover of Sports Illustrated, and it shows that SI does not know or really care about FS. I mean, it's great that FS is once again on the cover of SI, but details like that should frustrate anyone, especially OCD'ers that most skaters and skatefans are. And of course it's a nice photo. Gracie Gold is gorgeous. I can't imagine her NOT taking a nice photo.

cornell08

Final Flight
I think the better question is why couldn't they photoshop the skate guards out?! With the magic they're working on women these days....sloppy/lazy/clueless work by SI.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think the better question is why couldn't they photoshop the skate guards out?! With the magic they're working on women these days....sloppy/lazy/clueless work by SI.

Considering how much photoshop went into the snow on the cover, the guards being photoshopped out would have been basic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I had a lot of my photojournalism friends compliment SI on the cover, so the skateguard thing did not bug people other than skating fans, I think. And I honestly don't agree with some that it means SI could care less about FS. I mean, isn't the fact they put Gracie Gold on the cover indicate some interest in FS?

Also, it's just me, but I think the icy blue skate guards kind of works .... :slink: