Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Icey

Record Breaker
well, maybe skater's will start having their blades done in colors, the more affluent ones to match their costume color. lol

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I think the better question is why couldn't they photoshop the skate guards out?! With the magic they're working on women these days....sloppy/lazy/clueless work by SI.

I hear you, haha. The design editor has no clue about figure. Of all postures .... :mad::disapp:

mskater93

Record Breaker
well, maybe skater's will start having their blades done in colors, the more affluent ones to match their costume color. lol

Paramount already makes blades in multiple colors. The blade itself is inset in a runner which they make in many colors

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I had a lot of my photojournalism friends compliment SI on the cover, so the skateguard thing did not bug people other than skating fans, I think. And I honestly don't agree with some that it means SI could care less about FS. I mean, isn't the fact they put Gracie Gold on the cover indicate some interest in FS?

Also, it's just me, but I think the icy blue skate guards kind of works .... :slink:

Agree with Mrs. P on all counts -- it's a really nice cover, and I would not be at all surprised if they kept in the skate guard look because the bluish and purple color of the guards coordinates with the overall color scheme. Actually, it kind of looks like they emphasized the guards, touching them up to make them appear iridescent and to go with the overall look of the snowflakes and the font colors and so forth.

Are the snowboarding fans worrying about the snowboarder standing in "snow" in street clothes with no coat? Or Mikaela Shiffrin, she would NEVER hit the slopes without a cap and goggles?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-olympics/news/20140129/si-cover-sochi-olympics-preview/

Doesn't bother me too much. Sure, she wouldn't really be skating and jumping with guards but I'm not too fussed. Overall, it's a great photo and great publicity for skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cant believe her skate guards are getting this much attention! It was one of the first things I noticed though I must admit.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who cares because it is just a cover shoot?? Huh? That is the only reason why I care. If it was a small pic in a bio article on her I'd let it pass. But this is the cover of Sports Illustrated, and it shows that SI does not know or really care about FS. I mean, it's great that FS is once again on the cover of SI, but details like that should frustrate anyone, especially OCD'ers that most skaters and skatefans are. And of course it's a nice photo. Gracie Gold is gorgeous. I can't imagine her NOT taking a nice photo.

It isn't a big deal to me and I'm willing to bet that Gracie doesn't care either. I didn't even notice the guards at first until someone pointed them out. But if it's a big deal to you, whatever. Can't please everyone. :confused2:

I had a lot of my photojournalism friends compliment SI on the cover, so the skateguard thing did not bug people other than skating fans, I think. And I honestly don't agree with some that it means SI could care less about FS. I mean, isn't the fact they put Gracie Gold on the cover indicate some interest in FS?

Also, it's just me, but I think the icy blue skate guards kind of works .... :slink:

Works for me. And the main thing, imo is that one of our U.S. figure skaters is on the cover of S.I.! The rest is just fans being picky. Bet the regular readers hardly noticed the skate guards.

Agree with Mrs. P on all counts -- it's a really nice cover, and I would not be at all surprised if they kept in the skate guard look because the bluish and purple color of the guards coordinates with the overall color scheme. Actually, it kind of looks like they emphasized the guards, touching them up to make them appear iridescent and to go with the overall look of the snowflakes and the font colors and so forth.

Are the snowboarding fans worrying about the snowboarder standing in "snow" in street clothes with no coat? Or Mikaela Shiffrin, she would NEVER hit the slopes without a cap and goggles?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-olympics/news/20140129/si-cover-sochi-olympics-preview/

Doesn't bother me too much. Sure, she wouldn't really be skating and jumping with guards but I'm not too fussed. Overall, it's a great photo and great publicity for skating.

Bet they care about as much as I do about Gracie's skate guards. Which isn't much. :sarcasm:

I cant believe her skate guards are getting this much attention! It was one of the first things I noticed though I must admit.

Hmm. I wonder if Gracie's skate guards might eventually have their own twitter account? Like the bat at U.S. Nationals last year (or Disson Championship or whatever it's called these days). :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hmm. I wonder if Gracie's skate guards might eventually have their own twitter account? Like the bat at U.S. Nationals last year (or Disson Championship or whatever it's called these days). :laugh:

It can join the likes of Jason's ponytail, Maxim Trankov's yellow pants and Yuzuru's Pooh tissue box. :biggrin:

yuki90

On the Ice
Gold admires YuNa. :)

Gold has one bit of anxiety remaining. She admits to being awed by the Olympic champion, Kim. "She's so smooth," Gold says. "She isn't just piecing jumps together; she has one complete program where everything flows together. It's beautiful and that's how I want to skate.At last year's worlds in London, Ont., where she finished sixth, Gold happened to enter a restaurant where Kim, the champion, was eating. She wanted to approach her idol for a photo. "I was too chicken," she says. "Do I want to be a fan like that? Eh."I was too chicken"
"Gold would prefer to engage Kim while both are on the podium, perhaps in Sochi. "It would be so cool to find the cameras first," Gracie says, "and tell her, 'Yu-na, look over there.' It would be, shall we say, a Golden moment.
- Sports Illustrated