Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    1998 Nagano Olympics. She also was on the cover of Newsweek, TV Guide, and People (along with Tara and Nicole) that year.
    Wow - I only remember the last cover. You can tell I didn't spend a whole lot of time browsing at news or magazine stands in '98!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Sports Illustrated is a big fan of the stag jump.

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/...09_large-1.jpg

It was in 2006 that Miller went all Justin Bieber (except that Bieber is 19 and Miller was 28). Miller did OK at the 2002 Olympics, but in 2006 he very publicly spent the whole time drinking and partying in the Olympic village. He showed up at his events hung over and unprepared, He missed gates and finished well off the podium in every competition. He posted on Facebook that he didn't give a rat's behind, and if the fans didn't like it they could shove it. The next year he quit team U.S.A. altogether for two years.

By 2010 he had his act together and won three medals. Go Bode!

I think it is IMG.
    I m already rooting for him! Maybe I try to find tickets and do cheerleading. Awesome MK photo btw!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Amber Glenn also is getting recognition from SI. The U.S. junior champion was chosen for its Faces in the Crowd section.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Well, we all know how predictive the Time Olympics Preview issue is ...

http://content.time.com/time/covers/...020211,00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Who appears on the cover of their foreign edition?
    If you are referring to the cover of TIME's international edition, the answer of course is Gr... uh, NOT.

See Julia Lipnitskaia on the cover of TIME here:

The question is whether Lipnitskaia's cover "needs" its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    If you are referring to the cover of TIME's international edition, the answer of course is Gr... uh, NOT.

I think I might be the only person who thinks that that is a poorly-chosen picture of Gracie.

See, look at Julia's picture--it's an action shot, but it's clean-cut and makes her look fierce. Gracie's? Not so much.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar

That would be such a beautiful image if I didn't have to twist my head and adjust my glasses to try and figure out what the heck is going on with that outfit

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    wow, she is very confident
    I have no doubt now its Gracie Gold's Olympic Gold medal to lose now
    Which PCS score does "on the cover of a magazine" garner extra points in? Because I'm certain that it doesn't earn tech points or GOE.

If magazine covers guaranteed gold medals, more athletes would be paying agents to get them on one.

On the Ice
    Amber Glenn also is getting recognition from SI. The U.S. junior champion was chosen for its Faces in the Crowd section.
    Ahhh yes, did anyone watch her performance from nationals. Her overall score beat Gracie's score from 2012.

Custom Title

Wow, Time! Not to trivialize Gracie's cover, but a *Time* cover is considerably more prominent and amazing than Sports Illustrated. Of all the potential athletes to select, that's awesome that Julia was selected and a stellar pose too! I would have chosen one of her iconic back spirals though. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...91f36c80f8.jpg

Custom Title
    I think the Time cover is a little better than the SI cover, it is less busy and show better the face . Still Gold position is "I won" position, tipically for sport and fitness magazines and shows great optimism. Lipnitskaya pose is more artistic, ballet and shows more from her personality.

Custom Title
    I actually like Gold's pose more... it's cheerier and more exciting. I still can't get over the skate guards though... like there's photoshopped ice flying up and it makes no sense, lol.

I think they could do a better job with both skaters, Julia has one of the most beautiful dresses ever, her red dress and they use that? the pose is great but her costume no. And Grecie same, her dress is horrible and she is so much happy in that photo , let alone her poor lines, I prefer something more elegant like this :

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=p...%3B1200%3B1088

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=p...ml%3B948%3B667

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    This. Is. Perfection. It's a motion shot but it looks like there is no tension in her body; she looks completely relaxed. This stag jump position is amazing! Her lines in this shot...and against the plain black background...it's just stunning. So beautiful, elegant...one of my all-time favorite pics of her.
    My favorite photo also! Michelle looks exquisite in this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    I think the Time cover is a little better than the SI cover, it is less busy and show better the face . Still Gold position is "I won" position, tipically for sport and fitness magazines and shows great optimism. Lipnitskaya pose is more artistic, ballet and shows more from her personality.
    I think they're both good for what they represent. Gracie's exuberance and athleticism vs Julia's lithe form and what she can do with it. Both images give clues as what to expect from either skater.

Custom Title
    If anyone is interested US magazine has an Olympic Collectors edition out right now. There are beautiful photos of Gracie, Ashley,
    D & W, Shibutani's. They talk about the rivalries of Tara and Michelle, Lyacek and Johnny, battle of the Brians. There are also some old Olympic stories of Harding/ Kerrigan, Hamill and Yamaguchi. There are also stories on other Olympic athletes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast