Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold on the cover of Sports Illustrated

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I don't see the big deal with Gracie and her skate guards. Who cares, it's just a cover shoot? I think it's a nice photo myself.
    I didn't either. I believe what was likely was it was a shot in a studio and she needed to keep them on.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I don't see the big deal with Gracie and her skate guards. Who cares, it's just a cover shoot? I think it's a nice photo myself.
    Who cares because it is just a cover shoot?? Huh? That is the only reason why I care. If it was a small pic in a bio article on her I'd let it pass. But this is the cover of Sports Illustrated, and it shows that SI does not know or really care about FS. I mean, it's great that FS is once again on the cover of SI, but details like that should frustrate anyone, especially OCD'ers that most skaters and skatefans are. And of course it's a nice photo. Gracie Gold is gorgeous. I can't imagine her NOT taking a nice photo.

Custom Title
    I think the better question is why couldn't they photoshop the skate guards out?! With the magic they're working on women these days....sloppy/lazy/clueless work by SI.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I think the better question is why couldn't they photoshop the skate guards out?! With the magic they're working on women these days....sloppy/lazy/clueless work by SI.
    Considering how much photoshop went into the snow on the cover, the guards being photoshopped out would have been basic.

skating philosopher
    I had a lot of my photojournalism friends compliment SI on the cover, so the skateguard thing did not bug people other than skating fans, I think. And I honestly don't agree with some that it means SI could care less about FS. I mean, isn't the fact they put Gracie Gold on the cover indicate some interest in FS?

Also, it's just me, but I think the icy blue skate guards kind of works ....

Custom Title
    well, maybe skater's will start having their blades done in colors, the more affluent ones to match their costume color. lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I hear you, haha. The design editor has no clue about figure. Of all postures ....

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    well, maybe skater's will start having their blades done in colors, the more affluent ones to match their costume color. lol
    Paramount already makes blades in multiple colors. The blade itself is inset in a runner which they make in many colors

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I had a lot of my photojournalism friends compliment SI on the cover, so the skateguard thing did not bug people other than skating fans, I think. And I honestly don't agree with some that it means SI could care less about FS. I mean, isn't the fact they put Gracie Gold on the cover indicate some interest in FS?

Agree with Mrs. P on all counts -- it's a really nice cover, and I would not be at all surprised if they kept in the skate guard look because the bluish and purple color of the guards coordinates with the overall color scheme. Actually, it kind of looks like they emphasized the guards, touching them up to make them appear iridescent and to go with the overall look of the snowflakes and the font colors and so forth.

Are the snowboarding fans worrying about the snowboarder standing in "snow" in street clothes with no coat? Or Mikaela Shiffrin, she would NEVER hit the slopes without a cap and goggles?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-ol...mpics-preview/

Doesn't bother me too much. Sure, she wouldn't really be skating and jumping with guards but I'm not too fussed. Overall, it's a great photo and great publicity for skating.

Maybe they photoshopped the skate guards on, to make it look pretty.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I doubt it... they wouldn't have had the ice spraying up and then add skate guards on... wouldn't make sense. Oh well, at least she looks good otherwise.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I cant believe her skate guards are getting this much attention! It was one of the first things I noticed though I must admit.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Stop! I can't stop laughing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post

Are the snowboarding fans worrying about the snowboarder standing in "snow" in street clothes with no coat? Or Mikaela Shiffrin, she would NEVER hit the slopes without a cap and goggles?

Perhaps that means SI does not know or really care about Alpine skiing or snowboarding? Is SP really into sports at all?

♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Who cares because it is just a cover shoot?? Huh? That is the only reason why I care. If it was a small pic in a bio article on her I'd let it pass. But this is the cover of Sports Illustrated, and it shows that SI does not know or really care about FS. I mean, it's great that FS is once again on the cover of SI, but details like that should frustrate anyone, especially OCD'ers that most skaters and skatefans are. And of course it's a nice photo. Gracie Gold is gorgeous. I can't imagine her NOT taking a nice photo.
    It isn't a big deal to me and I'm willing to bet that Gracie doesn't care either. I didn't even notice the guards at first until someone pointed them out. But if it's a big deal to you, whatever. Can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Works for me. And the main thing, imo is that one of our U.S. figure skaters is on the cover of S.I.! The rest is just fans being picky. Bet the regular readers hardly noticed the skate guards.

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Agree with Mrs. P on all counts -- it's a really nice cover, and I would not be at all surprised if they kept in the skate guard look because the bluish and purple color of the guards coordinates with the overall color scheme. Actually, it kind of looks like they emphasized the guards, touching them up to make them appear iridescent and to go with the overall look of the snowflakes and the font colors and so forth.

Doesn't bother me too much. Sure, she wouldn't really be skating and jumping with guards but I'm not too fussed. Overall, it's a great photo and great publicity for skating.
    Bet they care about as much as I do about Gracie's skate guards. Which isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I cant believe her skate guards are getting this much attention! It was one of the first things I noticed though I must admit.
    Hmm. I wonder if Gracie's skate guards might eventually have their own twitter account? Like the bat at U.S. Nationals last year (or Disson Championship or whatever it's called these days).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast