Oscar Predictions! | Golden Skate

Oscar Predictions!

lulu

Final Flight
Who do you predict will take home the little gold statue?:p

My predictions:

Best Actor-I can't decide between Sean Penn and Ben Kinsley, although Bill Muray also has a good chance of winning-Johhny Depp has a chance of an upset-he did win the SAG award over Penn and Murray.

Best Actor: Ben Kinsley
Best Acress: Charlize Theoron
Best Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins
Best Supporting Actress: Holly Hunter
Best Original Screenplay:Lost in Transition
Best Director: Peter----(Lord of the Rings)
Best Picture: LOTR

I wonder how much of predictions will be correct?:D

Interesting note: Kinsley won exactly 20 years ago for Best Actor for "Gandhi"

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Best Picture:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Lost in Translation
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Mystic River
Seabiscuit

I really want Lost in Translation to get it so badly, but I think Lord of the Rings will get it because everyone wants it to win. Mystic River may be an upset, and I won't be dissappointed if it does.

Best Actor:

Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Ben Kingsley, House of Sand and Fog
Jude Law, Cold Mountain
Bill Murray, Lost in Translation
Sean Penn, Mystic River

I think Ben, Bill, and Sean are all in a league of their own in this category and any of these three are deserving. I really hope Bill Murray gets it though, because he had a perfect mix of comedy and poigancy in his acting. I can't believe a ham performance of Disney ride character got nominated. I'm sorry, but Johnny Depp's nomination is just ridiculous. He wasn't acting, he was doing a characature.

Best Actress:

Keisha Castle-Hughes, Whale Rider
Diane Keaton, Something's Gotta Give
Samantha Morton, In America
Charlize Theron, Monster
Naomi Watts, 21 Grams

Charlize is defintely gonna get this, but there isn't anyone in this category who I don't think deserves a nomination...which makes it much harder for me to complain about Evan Rachel Wood being snubbed for "thirteen". I can't believe this brilliant performance didn't get nominated...let me tell you...before watching this movie I didn't want to think she was snubbed...but afterwards, she was. Who would I take out to put in Rachel? That's the hard part considering all five of these ladies should be nominated also.

Best Supporting Actor:

Alec Baldwin, The Cooler
Benicio Del Toro, 21 Grams
Djimon Hounsou, In America
Tim Robbins, Mystic River
Ken Watanbe, Last Samurai

Hmmm..I think Tim is gonna get it, but I hope Benicio can upset. Won't be upset if any of these guys get it.

Best Supporting Actress:

Shohreh Aghdashloo, House of Sand and Fog
Patrica Clarkson, Pieces of April
Marcia Gay Harden, Mystic River
Holly Hunter, Thirteen
Renée Zellweger, Cold Mountain

I love Patricia Clarkson, but Holly Hunter totally deserves it for thirteen. She was so amazing in this film. I have to keep saying this "WATCH Thirteen NOW!!!!!" Anyways, lol...I think Clarkson (New Orleans hometown girl!), Aghdashloo, and Zellweger are the big contenders in this category. It's really between Aghdashloo and Zellweger but Clarkson and Harden has a following. I hope Aghdashloo, Clarkson, or even Hunter are able to upset Zellweger, because out of all of the nominees, Renee's character was the least deep.

Best Director:

Sofia Coppola, Lost in Translation
Clint Eastwood, Mystic River
Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Fernando Meirelles, City of God
Peter Weir, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Sofia vs. Peter vs. Clint....This is a deadly three-way bloodbath. Any of these three should get it, but Jackson defintely has it. Fernando Meirelles may be the upset and get it. Him being nominated is an amazing feat in itself and much deserved.

Best Original Screenplay:

The Barbarian Invasions, Denys Arcand
Dirty Pretty Things, Steven Knight
Finding Nemo, Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson and David Reynolds
In America, Jim Sheridan & Naomi Sheridan & Kirsten Sheridan
Lost in Translation, Sofia Coppola

Lost in Translation definitely deserves to win here...I can see why the other films (other than Finding Nemo) deserve it, but I love Lost in Translation so much.

Best Adapted Screenplay:

American Splendor, Robert Pulcini & Shari Springer Berman
City of God, Braulio Mantovani
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson
Mystic River, Brian Helgeland Seabiscuit, Gary Ross
Sea Biscuit

I really think American Splendor should get it since it was snubbed in every other category. I really enjoyed this film and gave it 4 stars personally. Mystic and City of God I think should get it if Splendor doesn't win. I know many people want Lord of the Rings to win, but I felt that the writing was the weakest part of the LOTR trilogies.

Best Animated Feature:

Brother Bear
Finding Nemo
The Triplets of Belleville

I'm so mad that Millenniuem Actress from Japan wasnt' nominated. One of the best anime I have ever seen, and it wasn't science fiction or action based...but a story of an actress and her life. A rare gem.
Finding Nemo vs. Triplets of Belleville. Could go either way. I pick Finding Nemo, but can see why Triplets should get it too.

Best Foreign-Language Film:

The Barbarian Invasions, Canada
Evil, Sweden
The Twilight Samurai, Japan
Twin Sisters, The Netherlands
Zelary, Czech Republic

I haven't seen any of these films, but Barbarian Invasions is gonna get it.

Last edited:

jenny12

Rinkside
Just as long as Johnny Depp doesn't win for his swashbuckling drag-queen act, I'll be fine. ;)

Best Picture : I think that ROTK deserves to win as a tribute to the trilogy. In my opinion as a story, ROTK is pretty simplistic. Bad guys are bad, good guys are are always heroic, and an ending that goes on and on and on..... If Mystic River or Lost in Translation won, I'd be thrilled.

Best Director : I know Peter Jackson's gonna win, but I'd love to see Sofia Coppola get it.

Best Actor : See Above. Anyway, I think Sean Penn, Bill Murray, and Ben Kingsley are equally deserving.

Best Actress : Charlize, Charlize, Charlize.

Best Supporting Actor : I wish Alec Baldwin got it. He was da' man in The Cooler. Pretty sure Tim Robbins will get it but there's always one category they like to be a suprise...

Best Supporting Actress : Please not Renee. She annoyed the heck outta me in that movie. Hope Holly can pull an upset.

Best Documentary : Should either go the The Fog of War or Capturing the Freidmans. I thought both were brilliant.

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Jenny12, Jonny Depp must have done something right with his swashbuckling, drag queen performance. It was the third highest grossing film of the year and Disney's highest grossing non animated film...And that drag queen performance may just get him the oscar....

Predictions:

Pic: LOTR ROTK
Director: Peter Jackson
Actress: Charlize Theron
Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins
Original Screen Play: Lost in Translation

Those are the for sure locks!

Supporting Actress: Probably Renee....but I have seen all of the performances and I give it to Holly Hunter...
Best Actor: Probably Sean Penn...but I would be thrilled with Jonny Depp or Bill Murry winning...Loved them all in such a variety of roles!
That's my two cents...............peace out