Awesome or Awful Lessons & Practices 2/17 - 2/23 | Golden Skate

Awesome or Awful Lessons & Practices 2/17 - 2/23

S

sk8er1964

Awesome or Awful Lessons & Practices 2/17 - 2/23

Awesome -

My hockey playing son put on figure skates for the first time in a long long time today. He could do a waltz jump, two foot spin and spiral. Then other hockey kids came and off came the figure skates and on with the hockey skates!

Awful -

Still no jumping because of the painful leg. I've been trying to baby it and it has done no good. Wondering if I should just start jumping in spite of the pain. I have a competition in 6 days and 2 more events a week after that. I haven't tried an axel in a week. :mad:

L

Lanechka

Re: Awesome or Awful Lessons & Practices 2/17 - 2/23

Awesome - I'm doing spirals into waltzes and just having a great time experimenting! And someone asked me how long I've been skating and said I looked like I've been skating 1 1-2-2 years, not 4 months. I was beaming like an idiot.

Awful - I've got huge blisters and now I fell today on my wrist, so that hurts awfully. I fall way too much.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Awesome - I'm just starting on all my Adult Gold moves in the field and I feel like I have made great progress in only two skating days! I was worried about the "running threes" around the edges, but my feet have already gotten much neater just this second time around. My coach was very encouraging. I tried the Brackets in the Field for the first time and was shocked to be able to just do them. Yes, I've got to work on tightening up my position, but they are not going to pose the problems I thought. So yippee, because this means I can focus heavily on my freestyle programs, with less time on the moves since they are coming along nicely.

Awful - I pulled an all-nighter on Monday to get a work project done, so went straight from the computer at 5:50 a.m. to the ice rink at 6:15 a.m. Ugh! I was surprisingly energetic, but it's not something I recommend, as in the back of my mind I was worried about injury due to fatique. My coach restricted the lesson to the moves and some simple spins -- no jumping -- just in case.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

S

sk8er1964

Awesome -

Ran through the program with all jumps except the axel and NO PAIN!!!!!! YIPEEEE!!! (Course it hurts like the dickens now, but who cares? All I'm doing now is sitting at my desk.)

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Lesson: wasn't AWFUL, but not too great, either. I nailed a move once, and then couldn't repeat it! What's up with that???

Sunday's practice was okay, I got my spins back, which had disappeared for a while. Weird.

I practice again tomorrow!

When do I get to learn a waltz jump? They look fun.

cheers,

Laura :) </span>

Y

Yurisgirl

Just wanted to share the awesome news about my lesson tonight. I am having a devil of a time doing my power outside threes (why, my coach had no idea). There's something about the step forward that I am struggling with and was two-footing it for the longest time. Well, today I did it cleanly and correctly!! We figured out what my problem was and after that things started to fall into place! It's so nice to see hard work finally paying off! :D

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Not too bad.

Awful: Just getting started today. I've been off ice for a week thanks to cancelled lessons and ice time due to the weather. This has been a rough period--due to travel and weather problems, its been one week on ice, one week off lately, and since I have competition in less than three weeks, that's a little nervewrecking.

Awesome: After a rusty start, everything came together for the Elements and Freestyle program. Worked on better entrance edge to waltz jump and stronger pushes for the back edges to make them steadier and sharper looking. Spiral is massively improved--coach says I finally have really good free foot position and it feels right. Need a bit of work on two foot spin, though.

Yurisgirl--congrats on the power 3's. Breakthroughs are so great!!!! :D

S

skatesnrides

Re: Not too bad.

Hi everyone – I’m new here and am enjoying this thread so I’ll join in…

Awful: My outside edges want to be inside edges. Especially on my left side. I seem to have less control over that side of my body in general and it’s very frustrating. I’m working on two pre-bronze dances right now – Fiesta tango & Swing. Every piece of the pattern where I need to be on my outside edge is a real struggle. I definitely have a tendency to pronate. I’ve already tried orthotics and had the blade moved, etc. and none of those tactics seem to make much difference. Any suggestions?

Awesome: Well, my tracking has improved. My boots are starting to break in a little more, allowing me to gain a deeper bend in my knees and that’s always a good thing!

D

dlksk8fan

Welcome skatesnrides! Are you a adult skater? As of now I am not skating because there are no ice rinks close to me, but in a few months I am going to be moving where there are 3 ice rinks. I can't wait to start skating again.

S

skatesnrides

Thanks for the welcome dlksk8fan! Yes, I'm an adult skater. How did you guess? I skated recreationally as a child through the teen years but really didn't skate much during or after college. I started taking lessons a few years ago after considering it for some time. Luckily I live near a rink that offers community classes which is where I began. I have since moved onto private lessons and am pursuing dance. If I can make it to the Bronze level I'd also like to try the Pre-Prelim moves & freestyle. One thing at a time! Are you an adult skater, as well?

D

dlksk8fan

Yes, I am an adult skater but haven't really done any skating for about 6yrs. When I was younger 12-16yrs old I skated, taking private lessons but never competing (too expensive for my folks). I got back into it in my late 20's but had to take time out to have my two sons. I am now 43 and looking forward to getting back into the sport.

L

Lanechka

Awesome - Absolutely nothing, to be honest. :(

Awful - We're doing three turns and stuff with edges, and it's like, CAN THIS GET ANY MORE BASIC? I want to progress but I feel like being in this class environment is holding me back. And I'm very sick right now; I don't know if it's just a nasty cold or the flu. A few other girls I saw today at the rink are sick (it's goin' around).

S

Sk8Bunny

awesome and awful

Awful: I can no longer land my 2salchow(and the competition is in 6 days!). My spins were completely off day. Stress-level is sky high for me right now, so maybe the lack of sleep and the overdoses on coffee is what made my spins off today. Flying camel wasnt as 'flying' as it has been earlier in the week.

Awesome: I've done 2 run-throughs in the past 2 days were Ive landed all my jumps cleanly. Otherwise, I always mess up on the one jump that comes right before my footwork squence. The footwork is picking up speed and is more fluent. I think Im beginning to peak at just the right time. Last week was bad, but things are slowly starting to improve this week, just at the right speed, so hopefully things will be right-on by Saturday. This is the same pattern I followed last year and the competition went great, so Im keeping my fingers crossed....

Sk8Bunny