Lord of the Oscars | Golden Skate

Lord of the Oscars

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Well there were NO surprises at this years Oscars.. Everyone won that was predicted and set up to win.. I was hoping for a shocker, but there were none.. I really enjoyed all of the nominated songs that were performed.. Allison Krass's voice was beautiful as always... I enjoyed the comedy of the Mighty Wind duo...The Tripletts of Beliville had me up dancing..Annie Lennox was wonderful! I have never seen her so glamorous! She was glowing for her win...I have ALWAYS been a BIG fan of hers..

I think the fashion on the red carpet this year was great! Charlize, Renee, Nichole, Jamie Lee, Jennifer Garner, Liv Tyler, Naomi Watts, etc...were all perfect! Now!?! What in the world was Uma wearing????????? She is she a lovely woman! Why was she dressed like a swiss sheep hearder? Diane Keaton, Annie Hall fashion is soooooooo 25 years ago! Oh well!

I thought Billy Crystal was as good as ever! His famous opening had me rolling in the floor with laughter!! LOL I almost died when Robin Williams pulled over Billy Crystal to his side and said don't we look like we should be on top of a San Fransico wedding cake!!! LOL Yes, there were no upsets as far as winners go, but it was a VERY entertaining night!!!..................Peace

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I totally agree, equestrian.......I watched every minute of it, especially when my fav. LOTR, was slated to take so many Oscars.....the buzz is that it was a bit sedate and "boring" at times, but I loved the calmness and dignity of it all....42

guinevere

Final Flight
Uma Thurman's dress reminded me of Tara's Nagano yodel-riffic LP outfit!

I was also hoping for some upsets - particularly in the Best Supporting Actress race. And, although I think Charlize deserved her award, and there was no way this was going to happen, part of me really wanted Keisha Castle-Knight to win.

Tonichelle: Sean Penn won Best Actor

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
I'm anxious to see Whale Rider because of her nomination, though based on reviews I wanted to see it anyways.

I was VERY happy ROTK won, though I did want Seabiscuit to take home an Oscar for something.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny moment of the evening:

Michael Moore getting stomped by an oliphant at the Battle of Pelennor Fields: "No hobbits, you shouldn't be fighting this war. You don't have the support of the majority! *squish*"

Last edited:

Rixis

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but last night's Oscars were pretty dull. It was all RotK, RotK, RotK...no fun :sheesh: And I thought Diane Keaton was Johnny Depp at first...it was the whole hat/hairstyle/suit thing..lol :D I think that Jack Black and Will Ferrell's song pretty much sums up the night: "Look at Catherine Zeta-Jones-she's snoring." Hehehe. But I did like Billy Crystal's celebrity fave picks (Hillary Clinton and "Kill Bill-priceless!) It was nice to see Johns Cusack and Travolta too. :p

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I was very pleased that LOTR was finally given the Oscar glory it has deserved for 3 years. I also was pleased with all of the winners in the acting categories. As for Diane Keaton, well, she is definitely a unique individual and I actually have to applaud her for that. I saw her interview with Barbra Walters just before the Oscars and she talked about her insecurities and fashion taste. She likes the way she looks and I think that is all that counts. The only thing I didn't really agree with was LOTR for Best Original Score. "Cold Mountain" had a fabulous score by Gabriel Yared and I felt it was much more deserving. And Allison Krauss is spectacular live! What a voice!

guinevere

Final Flight
Rixis said:
... at first I thought Diane Keaton was Johnny Depp at first...it was the whole hat/hairstyle/suit thing..lol :D
That's priceless!!

guinevere

Not the best show. Even Crystal didn't get to me. I would have preferred him to speak his monologue and forget the singing.
But Angelina Jolie looked so yummy and in decent attire.

Joe

supersk8er

Rinkside
I really enjoyed the show. I haven't watched the whole thing in years, and since it's my grad year, I wanted to check out the dresses for prom-ideas. WOW Naomi Watts dress was amazing! I'd LOVE something JUST like that! AND a date that looks JUST like Johnny Depp! :p Hehe.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the show. RG Jr. complained that it was all about LOTR, but I told her that it's not like the same person won all of those awards and that each person that won was honored for his or her contribution to the film(s). I have to admit to being really puzzled by Annie Lennox's absolute swooning over her win. Somehow, she doesn't seem like the type of person who would care that much about this kind of award.

That Jack Black/Will Ferrell song was hysterical. I just LOVED Alison Krause--she was fabulous.

It's about time Sean Penn was honored with an Oscar. How long can one of Hollywood's best actors be snubbed?

Ah, Billy, you're a riot!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Whale Rider was just on tv Monday night on the Oxygen Channel. I couldn't believe the listing, since leading up to the Oscars young Keisha had been interviewed and fussed over because of her age. The interview with Oprah should have given me a clue, but I wasn't paying attention.

That said, I decided to watch because she was nominated. The movie is awesome and Keisha is so natural in her part. Loved it. Since I don't go to many movies, I'm glad I made the time to watch.

Edited to add: this movie is already out in dvd and vhs. After all, the copyright is 2002. Just takes Hollywood a longer time to catch up with foreign releases.

Last edited:

jenny12

Rinkside
Pretty predictable show. I hate when they give everything to one movie but everyone knew it was gonna happen. Billy Crystal was charming but I actually preferred Steve Martin. I like someone with a biting sense of humor and Crystal is so tame. I think they should give Letterman one more chance. Yeah, he Uma-Oprah'd everyone to death but his show has gotten so good since his surgery (yeah, I know how weird this sounds) that maybe he would have done better this time. I think of LOTR as one of the great technical acheivements of all time but the story is so obvious. Good are 100% good and we have no idea what makes the bad guys tick. Profound.

I watched "Whale Rider" last night on the Oxygen channel too and recommend it highly. It may star a 12-year-old girl but it's not a kid film, though it's certainly appropriate for children. A beautifully rendered, acted, unsentimental film.

Made most of my 76th Oscar comments on the "Oscar Mistakes" thread, such as I think it's time for Billy Crystal to retire as host. He had some good lines, but the Best Picture "Gumped" sequence and the song parady seemed forced and didn't have the big whopping iconic laughs as it had in the early '90s. Billy had a great run--who can forget his entrance as Hannibal Lecter?--but he sounded too much like a Catskills comic. Time to let Robin Williams or Chris Rock take a crack at it and bring back some edge. JMO.
Rgirl