Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

Hybrid View

Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

New tweet from Mirai and post on her FB account!

https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu
    Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 23m
    Please read my thoughts if you have time
    https://www.facebook.com/mirai.nagas...51835277226673

I want to take this moment to thank everyone, fellow skaters and fans of the sport, who have reached out to me to offer support after the US championships. Not being chosen to represent the United States at the Olympic Games in Sochi and at the 2014 World Championships in Japan has been extremely disappointing to me, and it has been very difficult for me to process.
    I know that I performed my best at the US Championships in Boston. I am proud of the way I skated and of being awarded the Bronze Medal.
    The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver was one of the best experiences of my life and I am proud that I finished in 4th place. For the past four years my goal had been to make the Olympic Team again and pick up where I left off.
    Not being selected to this year’s team was devastating and I remain confused by US Figure Skating’s decision to not select me for the 2014 Olympic or World teams. Once I have time to fully process the impact of these decisions, I do know it will renew a fire inside of me. My Olympic journey does not end here. I will continue to work hard, to train and grow and improve as a skater and realize my dream of once again representing the United States at an Olympic Games. In the immediate, I will jump back into my training in the event that I should be needed in my role as alternate for the Olympics or World Championships.
    Most importantly, I want to wish Gracie, Polina, Ashley and the rest of the US Team the best of luck at the 2014 Olympic Games. Representing your country at the Olympics is one of the biggest honors and best experiences in an athlete’s life, and I hope they all do well and have a great time. I will be watching and cheering them on.

I don't care what the naysayers say about the controversy - I'm not going to respond to them anymore. For my own part - I am damn proud of Mirai and as someone said in another forum or it may have been on Facebook - 'she earned her place on that Olympic team and even more so the Worlds team - I saw her earn it on the ice.'

Mirai is a classy young lady. Pure class. Too bad her federation hasn't treated her with the respect she deserved over the years.

Whatever comes next season, and beyond, I'll still be here cheering for Mirai all of the way. You're a Rock Star Mirai!

Custom Title
    I respect Mirai so much as a person and an athlete, I can see it was hard for the Federation, but I think NOW for the federations its best to look at seasons results rather then naming athletes to the BIG tournaments just on National's results like it was a few years ago, depth is so strong now in most established countries and countries that invest a lot of money in skating.

If I was on the federation I would have named Ashley on the Olympic team along with Polina and Gracie, but I would have chosen Mirai for Worlds along with Polina and Gracie - I would have thought that would have seemed a fair decision.

Mirai, you are one classy lady all the way!

Classy statement from Mirai. Thanks to SS for posting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Mirai, you are one classy lady all the way!
    Classy ? I'd say she's most of all deluding herself.

I don't think she'll make the team next time either if she couldn't manage it this time.
    USFSA anyway doesn't trust her anymore after all her bad skates since the 2010 OG.
    Plus she never tried to fix her UR and was a better artistic skaters as a youngster than now.

Too late, hope she'll be happy in her life post skating.

You go Mirai she's so classy

Custom Title
    I guess not medaling in the 4 continentals really hit her had.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by machin View Post

I don't think she'll make the team next time either if she couldn't manage it this time.
    USFSA anyway doesn't trust her anymore after all her bad skates since the 2010 OG.
    Plus she never tried to fix her UR and was a better artistic skaters as a youngster than now.

This post is definitely not classy.

Quote Originally Posted by machin View Post

Troll alert.

Custom Title
    She was 4th at the 2010 games. 4th is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    She was 4th at the 2010 games. 4th is not bad.
    And she had never been to a Worlds before Vancouver either.

Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    If I was on the federation I would have named Ashley on the Olympic team along with Polina and Gracie, but I would have chosen Mirai for Worlds along with Polina and Gracie - I would have thought that would have seemed a fair decision.
    The concern would be that Polina would not finish high enough coupled with Gracie to ensure 3 skaters for 2015 Worlds if Mirai were sent based upon her very inconsistent results, inconsistent rotation of her jumps and her inability to hit when she absolutely must (2011 Worlds LP, 2012 Nationals, 2013 Nationals). Worlds 2014 are almost more important than the Olympics as they are the end of the quad and set up the federation for the next quad. If Mirai went to Worlds with Gracie and Polina (instead of Ashley), Gracie would almost HAVE TO win in order to make sure there were 3 spots for 2015 as Polina will be top 10 at best and if Mirai skates like she did at 4CC, she won't make the cut for the LP. Asking Gracie to win in Japan with Mao skating her farewell Worlds (at home) along with Suzuki and Murakami (unless she changes her mind) and the Russian ladies is a tall task...

Custom Title
    I'm glad to hear that Mirai is not retiring and will continue to skate. Perhaps she can go back to basics, fix her UR issue and recapture her passion for skating.

A lot can happen in 4 years and if she comes back and proves herself in the next quad, she may get to go the Olympics when she's 24.

Yes, it's a long shot but skating careers have ups and downs and I will be watching her with interest until she decides it's time to retire.

Custom Title
    Nicely stated though to be honest it is a preapred statement so they tend to be politically and pr smart. I was surprised she committed herself to another olympics though (sure it is a skater;s perrogative to change their mind) but to be bold when the season isn't over. And four years is a long time - if she is not self sufficient her parents might have a say. And with skating not having a huge future for most she might wnat to get some work skills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast