Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 177

Thread: Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

  1. #136
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Here's what confuses me - and maybe Mirai. Polina is new to the senior level. She has no body of work at the senior level. So, did the committee look at Polina's placement with other junior competitors and compare them to Mirai's at the senior? That doesn't seem like a fair comparison. True that Polina outscored Mirai by about 3-4 pointsat the Nationals. One of those points was Mirai's one second time infraction. Polina has excellent technical elements that will serve her well now and in the future.
    I don't think Mirai should be confused, as the junior competitions are listed among the events to be considered. You're right it isn't an apples to apples comparison. However, Polina skated very well at nationals and her junior events. Does Mirai's season justify bumping Polina off the team after her her performances this season? The answer seems clear to me that it does not, but others have a difference of opinion and I'm not sure to what extent their opinion is clouded by their affection towards Mirai.

  2. #137
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    This is exactly what my non-skating husband observed and I agree. With so much at risk, why not have 2 pairs of working skates?
    Because breaking in boots takes some time away from training AND pairs of blades are each a little different and take time to get used to which makes having two pairs of "working skates" difficult (unless they are dance or figure and FS). Also, sounds like this pair of boots aren't quite the same as the last pair for her (blisters). Since boots are more craftsman than production, you never know when a pair is going to be a little off...also, moving blades is typically what you do if they aren't worn out between boots instead of buying a new pair and adjusting (especially since they have a shelf life, if well cared for, of at least 1 full year and up to 3 or 4 if you have a great sharpener).

  3. #138
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    ^ for people who have an inside view into elite skating, it would be great to learn more about this whole boot breaking in/breaking down conundrum. Do the blades factor into this equation - do skaters tend to have only one set of 'good' blades and does this factor into the process at all?
    emma, if you want to know more about breaking in/down boots and blade selection/moving/new blades, PM me. I could write novels on boots breaking down and in and blade selection, etc

  4. #139
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    65
    I think Mirai's response was real and honest. For the most part, I like Mirai and her skating, but I think the USFSA made the right call by leaving her off the Olympic team. She placed 10th at an event that is (for most competitors there) a consolation competition with a rather weak ladies field. This proves why the USFSA did not want her on the Olympic team.

    I know Mirai says she was sick at 4CC (and since I'm not her doctor), I believe her. Though it seems like the last few seasons that Mirai has skated poorly, she says it was because she was sick. At the same time, there have been other skaters that have competed (and got better results) while having something more serious than a cold. Evan Lysacek going from 10th to 4th at the 2006 Olympics after having been in the hospital, Hongbo Zhao coming back to top form after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon or Maxim Shabalin competing the last three or so years of his career with severe osteoarthritis in his knees. Just a few examples that come to mind.

    Someone mentioned Shizuka earlier. She competed in Nagano, missed Salt Lake City and won Torino. Coming back to the top after some dismal seasons can be done. I believe if Mirai can get a coach (someone like Frank Carroll), start training seriously, fix her UR issues, get consistently decent/good results for a few seasons, she can likely rebuild her reputation with the USFSA and judges. It would be very difficult, but I don't think it's an impossibility.

  5. #140
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    I think Mirai's response was real and honest. For the most part, I like Mirai and her skating, but I think the USFSA made the right call by leaving her off the Olympic team. She placed 10th at an event that is (for most competitors there) a consolation competition with a rather weak ladies field. This proves why the USFSA did not want her on the Olympic team.

    I know Mirai says she was sick at 4CC (and since I'm not her doctor), I believe her. Though it seems like the last few seasons that Mirai has skated poorly, she says it was because she was sick. At the same time, there have been other skaters that have competed (and got better results) while having something more serious than a cold. Evan Lysacek going from 10th to 4th at the 2006 Olympics after having been in the hospital, Hongbo Zhao coming back to top form after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon or Maxim Shabalin competing the last three or so years of his career with severe osteoarthritis in his knees. Just a few examples that come to mind.

    Someone mentioned Shizuka earlier. She competed in Nagano, missed Salt Lake City and won Torino. Coming back to the top after some dismal seasons can be done. I believe if Mirai can get a coach (someone like Frank Carroll), start training seriously, fix her UR issues, get consistently decent/good results for a few seasons, she can likely rebuild her reputation with the USFSA and judges. It would be very difficult, but I don't think it's an impossibility.
    Illness affects everyone differently. Caryn Kadavy got a case of the flu at the 1988 Olympics and had to withdraw. Alexei Yagudin got sick at the 1998 Olympics but skated anyway in the LP - and did not perform well. It's great that others were able to overcome the flu but that is not always the case. I remember Caryn saying in an interview at Calgary that she couldn't even lift her head off the pillow she was that sick. Mirai has rhinitis - that can make her prone to get sick at the most inopportune times. It's a large part of the reason that she tends to sniffle through her whole program. She's had nosebleeds too as she did during the SP at the 2010 Olympics. Ashley was sick too just before Nationals - it's not just boot issues that were bothering her. And you saw how she skated.

  6. #141
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    Where did you hear that Wagner was ill?

    Anyway I'm not sure why people continue to make excuses for her when it was Wagner herself who admitted to letting the pressure get to her...she does not have a history of clutch performances unfortunately. When she skates well, it's either a lower-profile GP event or expectations don't exist (2012 4CC for instance).

    Oddly enough, if Wagner just hit that 3-3 in the SP I think she would have managed 3rd even with the same mess of a FS. Or if she fell just once instead of 2x. Figures, right?

    But she has gotten so much fanfare, sponsorship and attention for someone who hasn't even stood on a world podium. This includes the unprecedented decision to "break from tradition" to put her on the Olympic team. She says she's had to work/scrounge for everything, and that's been true for the most part...but even she has to admit that she's been the recipient of a couple of really generous gifts lately...I hope she can prove people wrong in Sochi - for her own sake.

  7. #142
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Illness affects everyone differently. Caryn Kadavy got a case of the flu at the 1988 Olympics and had to withdraw. Alexei Yagudin got sick at the 1998 Olympics but skated anyway in the LP - and did not perform well. It's great that others were able to overcome the flu but that is not always the case. I remember Caryn saying in an interview at Calgary that she couldn't even lift her head off the pillow she was that sick. Mirai has rhinitis - that can make her prone to get sick at the most inopportune times. It's a large part of the reason that she tends to sniffle through her whole program. She's had nosebleeds too as she did during the SP at the 2010 Olympics. Ashley was sick too just before Nationals - it's not just boot issues that were bothering her. And you saw how she skated.
    Ugh I have non-allergic rhinitis. It's the worst! Sinus infections all the time until I finally got surgery. Rhinitis can mess with your head too, make you dizzy ect and environmental conditions can aggravate you pretty badly. Hope she has a netty pot on stand by!

  8. #143
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    This is exactly what my non-skating husband observed and I agree. With so much at risk, why not have 2 pairs of working skates?
    Then what would you do when BOTH pairs unexpectedly broke down or got damaged? Professional skates are very, very expensive---upwards of $10,000 a pair, and can take a month to make. No skater would put themselves in a position where he/she had NO skates right before a competition.

  9. #144
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Ugh I have non-allergic rhinitis. It's the worst! Sinus infections all the time until I finally got surgery. Rhinitis can mess with your head too, make you dizzy ect and environmental conditions can aggravate you pretty badly. Hope she has a netty pot on stand by!
    If Mirai has chronic sinusitis that causes her to be ill at every competition, then she should have the surgery. I had sinusitis so bad I could hardly breathe at night, was constantly blowing my nose and used a box of tissues a week. I finally had the surgery and now feel like a normal person again. It's outpatient surgery and the recovery period is no more than a week.

    If Mirai doesn't have the surgery, then it's hard to excuse bad performances due to a chronic condition that is easily remedied.

  10. #145
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Then what would you do when BOTH pairs unexpectedly broke down or got damaged? Professional skates are very, very expensive---upwards of $10,000 a pair, and can take a month to make. No skater would put themselves in a position where he/she had NO skates right before a competition.
    You wouldn't have two pair the same age and of equal use, so that would diminish the likelihood that both would break down at the same time. Skaters have some idea as to how long a pair of skates last. Say for you it is a year and half. Then after you have used a pair for a year, you get another pair which you break in gradually while still using the old pair until they break down. Part of the issue is this is an Olympic year and it is in the skaters best interest to at least try to prevent that kind of mishap. I would be interested to know how man skaters started breaking in a new pair of skates a few weeks before the most important athletic competition event of their lives. Some seem to want to believe that such problems are not avoidable. I believe there are ways to greatly minimize it happening. This, of course, might fall through as the best laid plans often do, but it does decrease the chance of that happening. Ashley herself made several other statements which indicate the skate issue, which I believe she has never mentioned, as being a minor part of her unfortunate skate. Are her skates still an issue or are they throughly broken in for her Olympic skates?

  11. #146
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Mirai has chronic sinusitis that causes her to be ill at every competition, then she should have the surgery. I had sinusitis so bad I could hardly breathe at night, was constantly blowing my nose and used a box of tissues a week. I finally had the surgery and now feel like a normal person again. It's outpatient surgery and the recovery period is no more than a week. If Mirai doesn't have the surgery, then it's hard to excuse bad performances due to a chronic condition that is easily remedied.
    It depends on how serious it can get. Any sinus surgery should come after all else fails. I was sick with sinus infections for 9 months straight before I agreed to it. My problem was my nose didn't run it just backed up into my head. Competitive athletes also travel/fly a lot it's a lot easier for them to catch viruses/colds ect.

    Even though I am soo much better after my surgery, environmental factors can still cause my nose to swell and become aggravated and there isn't much doctors can do about it. Some people, even though we don't have an allergy ( I passed a 76 shot allergy test with flying colors) we are sensitive to certain things like perfume, dry air ect. All I can do is netty, steam showers, and rinse my nose with saline. Ahh the plight of sinus suffers:(

  12. #147
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Mirai has chronic sinusitis that causes her to be ill at every competition, then she should have the surgery. I had sinusitis so bad I could hardly breathe at night, was constantly blowing my nose and used a box of tissues a week. I finally had the surgery and now feel like a normal person again. It's outpatient surgery and the recovery period is no more than a week.

    If Mirai doesn't have the surgery, then it's hard to excuse bad performances due to a chronic condition that is easily remedied.
    I don't understand the hate you have for Mirai. Did she do something to you personally? I mean you come to every Mirai thread and trash talk about her over and over and over and over.. why hate her so much? Mirai never bad mouthed anyone after the US nationals. I am sure she knows why she wassn't chosen.

  13. #148
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I think Mirai was just being honest and taking time to thank her supporters, and to also wish her teammates well. Nothing wrong with that. She put her feelings out again nothing wrong with that. I am psyched to know she will compete. Love the determination and fire!
    Agreed. and I think that she had to say something, anything, about all the fuss to put it to rest for herself. She deserves that much.

  14. #149
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    I think Mirai's response was real and honest. For the most part, I like Mirai and her skating, but I think the USFSA made the right call by leaving her off the Olympic team. She placed 10th at an event that is (for most competitors there) a consolation competition with a rather weak ladies field. This proves why the USFSA did not want her on the Olympic team.

    I know Mirai says she was sick at 4CC (and since I'm not her doctor), I believe her. Though it seems like the last few seasons that Mirai has skated poorly, she says it was because she was sick. At the same time, there have been other skaters that have competed (and got better results) while having something more serious than a cold. Evan Lysacek going from 10th to 4th at the 2006 Olympics after having been in the hospital, Hongbo Zhao coming back to top form after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon or Maxim Shabalin competing the last three or so years of his career with severe osteoarthritis in his knees. Just a few examples that come to mind.

    Someone mentioned Shizuka earlier. She competed in Nagano, missed Salt Lake City and won Torino. Coming back to the top after some dismal seasons can be done. I believe if Mirai can get a coach (someone like Frank Carroll), start training seriously, fix her UR issues, get consistently decent/good results for a few seasons, she can likely rebuild her reputation with the USFSA and judges. It would be very difficult, but I don't think it's an impossibility.
    I think Mirai needs to really decide what she wants. I am not thoroughly convinced not that I matter she knows who she is or what she wants. At least on the surface muost of us would agree we have seen waning interest and she has to deal with her body type. I still do not see a lot of stretch in her artistry - american princessy yes but yeesh we have had tonnes of th at for years - Trenary , Cadavy, Fratianne, Sumners, Kirk, Chin, Cook, Yamaguchi, Cohen, Flatt but she has yet to distinguish herself really. Less talk and more action on the ice.

  15. #150
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Mirai has chronic sinusitis that causes her to be ill at every competition, then she should have the surgery. I had sinusitis so bad I could hardly breathe at night, was constantly blowing my nose and used a box of tissues a week. I finally had the surgery and now feel like a normal person again. It's outpatient surgery and the recovery period is no more than a week.

    If Mirai doesn't have the surgery, then it's hard to excuse bad performances due to a chronic condition that is easily remedied.
    I also have non-allergic rhinitis and have been evaluated to see if I'm a candidate for the surgery. I am not. Not everyone with non-allergic rhinitis is a surgical candidate. In order to have the surgery, you need to have atypical sinus anatomy such as abnormally small sinus cavities, sinus polyps, or a deviated septum. My sinus anatomy is completely normal so it is not an option. Surgery would only make things worse. It sucks because I get sinus infections all the time. I'm on three daily medications to keep my sinuses as much under control as possible. Trust me, I would love to have a simple out-patient procedure to remedy this. But I can't and I'm hardly the only one in that situation.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •