Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    The men's and pairs assignments made it seem like even more of a snub to Mirai.
    I suspect that men's and pairs were driven by the fact that there's no appreciable difference in scoring potential (or possibly a little higher if they skate their best) between team/skater #2 and team/skater #3 for those two groups while there seems to be a belief that Nagasu is too risky to send to Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I suspect that men's and pairs were driven by the fact that there's no appreciable difference in scoring potential (or possibly a little higher if they skate their best) between team/skater #2 and team/skater #3 for those two groups while there seems to be a belief that Nagasu is too risky to send to Worlds.
    You're right, not only risk though but I am sure that, as others have pointed out, they want to put their support behind a young skater to position her to compete with the young Russians.

Even if that is NOT the case, Polina has a better opportunity than Mirai to capitalize on others' mistakes (read higher finish) based upon a strong TES foundation. While she may end up the third placing American, it will not be for lack of technical effort, but more likely due to lower PCS. If Mirai (granted she was supposedly sick) can't even finish in the top 5 and barely makes the top 10 at 4CC with many of the best skaters in the World (top 10 finishers from last couple seasons) from those continents declining to skate there (Asada, Kim, Suzuki, Gold, Wagner, Osmond...) what does that say if those skaters + the ones from Europe are at Worlds? I could see a case where Mirai with < and << calls at Worlds finishes behind all of: Kim, Asada, Gold, Kostner, Suzuki, Wagner, Osmond, Lipnitskaia, Murakami, Li, at the very least (assuming Edmunds was bumped for her) and possibly Meite, Kexin Zhang, Marchei, Daleman, Korpii (if she's back), Helgesson and possibly even more!

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I think the actual content is fine but the timing (i.e. approximatly less than 2 days before most of the team departs for Sochi) will not make USFSA happy. I'm sure they want all the coverage to be Go Team USA, which is understandable. Mirai putting out a longer statement throws them right back into the post-Boston controversy.
    Well, they asked for it. If they didn't want to have this issue to deal with maybe they should have thought through their selection a little more thoroughly. I'm sorry, but if I was bumped from an Olympic Team under circumstances like this, I wouldn't lie and say I was happy about it either.

Custom Title
    I bet Mark Mitchell is wondering why all the controversy over Mirai and Ashley when Todd Eldredge was chosen over him to go to the Olympics! Just saying............

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I bet Mark Mitchell is wondering why all the controversy over Mirai and Ashley when Todd Eldredge was chosen over him to go to the Olympics! Just saying............
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...ar-to-mitchell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Even if that is NOT the case, Polina has a better opportunity than Mirai to capitalize on others' mistakes (read higher finish) based upon a strong TES foundation. While she may end up the third placing American, it will not be for lack of technical effort, but more likely due to lower PCS. If Mirai (granted she was supposedly sick) can't even finish in the top 5 and barely makes the top 10 at 4CC with many of the best skaters in the World (top 10 finishers from last couple seasons) from those continents declining to skate there (Asada, Kim, Suzuki, Gold, Wagner, Osmond...) what does that say if those skaters + the ones from Europe are at Worlds? I could see a case where Mirai with < and << calls at Worlds finishes behind all of: Kim, Asada, Gold, Kostner, Suzuki, Wagner, Osmond, Lipnitskaia, Murakami, Li, at the very least (assuming Edmunds was bumped for her) and possibly Meite, Kexin Zhang, Marchei, Daleman, Korpii (if she's back), Helgesson and possibly even more!
    The scary thing is Mirai could have no < and << calls, skate cleanly, and still finish behind all those first 10 you said. It is if she doesnt skate cleanly without any < and << she actually has a good shot at losing to all of that 2nd group as well. She just doesnt have high scoring potential internationaly anymore, and the womens field is one of the deepest I have ever seen. The heavy discussions over who will medal (a conversation which barely includes Gold and omits Wagner altogether now, skaters with way higher international rep than Mirai) are proof to that.

Custom Title
    Yes, it has happened several times before. The most notable I recall was Michelle Kwan in 1994. Does any one doubt she would have done better than Tanya or Nancy? Certainly better than Tanya. Surely Mirai is not that clueless that she does not know exactly why she was not selected.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    People forget that Shizuka Arakawa was left off the 2002 Olympic team for Yoshie Onda, after having gone in 1998. She was 21 years old. She returned to the Olympics at 25, and won. Amazing what "a little bit of failure" can do.
    I never knew this - thanks for the info!

Custom Title
    Thank for that link MrsP I like what Mark said about moving on!

"Life goes on," he said. "It all happens for a reason. And in the end, it's all OK. Sometimes it takes years to understand why things happen, but you can make the best of the situation and move on. It would've great to have happen, I'm sure, but I'm OK."

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Marai is pure class and an example to follow. I wish her nothing but the best and hope this lights a fire in her that keeps her going strong into and beyond next season.

I still think she earned a spot at Worlds. Just saying

Custom Title
    She was 4th at the 2010 games. 4th is not bad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    Yes, it has happened several times before. The most notable I recall was Michelle Kwan in 1994. Does any one doubt she would have done better than Tanya or Nancy? Certainly better than Tanya. Surely Mirai is not that clueless that she does not know exactly why she was not selected.
    Kwan likely would have been out of the top 10 based on her skates at worlds that year in which none of the Olympic medalists attended.

Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    She was 4th at the 2010 games. 4th is not bad.
    And she had never been to a Worlds before Vancouver either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Wanted to note one person who commented on the status:

Rohene Ward: spoken like a true champion!!!! such grace you have!!! wishing you the best of luck in the years to come!! i am a huge fan!!!!

Totally shipping for Mirai to go Kori and be Jason Brown's training mate and to get Rohene Ward choreography.
    Oh my goodness, that would be incredible.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast