Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 177

Thread: Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

  1. #91
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,335
    Golden, I was referring to GS members! We've all been hashing this over and over for almost 3 weeks now and there's no viable solution. You have the people that think Mirai got robbed. You have the people that think Ashley was the best choice. You have the people that are tearing Polina's Nationals skates apart to the point that one of her friends actually posted and said posters were being mean. You have the people that are doing research and posting results on a daily basis for further rehashing. Unless people just enjoy the heck out of arguing and more arguing, nothing that is said is going to make any difference. For many reasons Mirai was not chosen to go to Sochi nor was she chosen to go to Japan. The decision was made - right or wrong - and it isn't going to change! I can only imagine what Mirai has gone through and truly how hard it must be to see others preparing for Sochi. I think it was very brave of her to post her feelings on her Facebook and very considerate and professional of her to wish the Olympians well. I would guess that took a lot of inner strength to do. It just seems to me, and my opinion only, that Mirai has to move on and decide now how she's going to use this experience. If she still has the fire in her gut then she'll find a coach, stay with that coach, and work her butt off before the next competitive season starts and prove the selection committee should have picked her. Or she can feel sorry for herself and wallow in what might have been. I am not minimizing the impact of the decision on Mirai's life or her skating career. I just hope she picks to fight. But I think everyone around her needs to let it go including GS members. Well, unless you just like to argue

  2. #92
    Custom Title leafygreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I think the actual content is fine but the timing (i.e. approximatly less than 2 days before most of the team departs for Sochi) will not make USFSA happy. I'm sure they want all the coverage to be Go Team USA, which is understandable. Mirai putting out a longer statement throws them right back into the post-Boston controversy.
    IF that is true, then that's the USFSA's problem. They deserve the bad press, because it was their decision to break tradition.

    Is Mirai supposed to be a mute? What she said is tame compared to how most athletes would feel. Mirai deserves to be heard if she chooses, whenever and wherever she pleases. At this point, she really has nothing to lose. Mirai may not be going to the Olympics, but she holds the cards.

  3. #93
    Custom Title leafygreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    We were also told by a coach sitting behind us at Nats that in meetings the skaters had been told the selection would not necessarily depend on where you ended up at Nats.
    This goes along with fan reports that Ashley was performing badly in nationals practices, and the USFSA needed to start covering their behinds ASAP.

    Why were skaters only told in meetings at nationals? Shouldn't they have been told prior to the whole season so they can work a lot harder at GPs, etc? By "telling" skaters I mean drilling it into their heads at summer camps that every competition now counts, not posting a file on the website with no fanfare.

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,798
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Why were skaters only told in meetings at nationals? Shouldn't they have been told prior to the whole season so they can work a lot harder at GPs, etc? By "telling" skaters I mean drilling it into their heads at summer camps that every competition now counts, not posting a file on the website with no fanfare.
    Why are you assuming skaters first heard of this at Nationals? Oh yeah, because otherwise you can't go on about how poor Mirai was cheated by not having the knowledge that she should skate well more than once this year. I'm sure Mirai blew off her GPs because she thought they weren't going to factor in.

  5. #95
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,687
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Why are you assuming skaters first heard of this at Nationals? Oh yeah, because otherwise you can't go on about how poor Mirai was cheated by not having the knowledge that she should skate well more than once this year. I'm sure Mirai blew off her GPs because she thought they weren't going to factor in.
    I'll go back to Jason Brown's dialogue with Arsenio Hall here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TxW84W6QbA#t=0m54s

    So Jason knew there was a possibility that he might be bumped for someone else based on the criteria. It doesn't sound like he just found out about that at Nationals...

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Why were skaters only told in meetings at nationals? Shouldn't they have been told prior to the whole season so they can work a lot harder at GPs, etc? By "telling" skaters I mean drilling it into their heads at summer camps that every competition now counts, not posting a file on the website with no fanfare.
    ...are you suggesting Mirai was slacking off during the GPs? Because that seems kind of anti-fan, rather than a fan.

    Anyone who suggests any of the skaters were slacking off during the GPs is mad.

  7. #97
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,964
    Serenity Now!!!

  8. #98
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    886
    I think Mirai was just being honest and taking time to thank her supporters, and to also wish her teammates well. Nothing wrong with that. She put her feelings out again nothing wrong with that. I am psyched to know she will compete. Love the determination and fire!

  9. #99
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,964
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I think Mirai was just being honest and taking time to thank her supporters, and to also wish her teammates well. Nothing wrong with that. She put her feelings out again nothing wrong with that. I am psyched to know she will compete. Love the determination and fire!
    I completely agree!!

  10. #100
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Golden, I was referring to GS members! We've all been hashing this over and over for almost 3 weeks now and there's no viable solution. You have the people that think Mirai got robbed. You have the people that think Ashley was the best choice. You have the people that are tearing Polina's Nationals skates apart to the point that one of her friends actually posted and said posters were being mean. You have the people that are doing research and posting results on a daily basis for further rehashing. Unless people just enjoy the heck out of arguing and more arguing, nothing that is said is going to make any difference. For many reasons Mirai was not chosen to go to Sochi nor was she chosen to go to Japan.
    Been away from the board for two weeks to avoid this whole mess--when did that happen?

  11. #101
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,687
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Been away from the board for two weeks to avoid this whole mess--when did that happen?
    I guess people were talking about Polina's weight and how she was too skinny (some mentioned border-line aneroxic) which lead to her friend posting. But it lookliked that friend has deleted his/her posts.

    But I did quote one of them in my response: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post834652

    That poster also defended Polina elsewhere....when people were questioning why she got the spot despite not having any senior international experience.

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,267
    If a friend of Polina's does post here, then I would beg her to stop Polina from looking at these forums. Especially, especially, especially the ones about Nationals or the team selection. The Mirai fans have no hesitation in tearing anyone and everything apart, since only Mirai's heart can be broken, and everyone else is irrelevant.

  13. #103
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    If a friend of Polina's does post here, then I would beg her to stop Polina from looking at these forums. Especially, especially, especially the ones about Nationals or the team selection. The Mirai fans have no hesitation in tearing anyone and everything apart, since only Mirai's heart can be broken, and everyone else is irrelevant.
    Your last sentence was unnecessary.

  14. #104
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    If a friend of Polina's does post here, then I would beg her to stop Polina from looking at these forums. Especially, especially, especially the ones about Nationals or the team selection. The Mirai fans have no hesitation in tearing anyone and everything apart, since only Mirai's heart can be broken, and everyone else is irrelevant.
    To be fair I think Mirai's fans are tired of hearing about how awful we are, I know I am.

    I see from your posts you have no qualms about posting insults yourself about Mirai's fans.

  15. #105
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,614
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Golden, I was referring to GS members! We've all been hashing this over and over for almost 3 weeks now and there's no viable solution. You have the people that think Mirai got robbed. You have the people that think Ashley was the best choice. You have the people that are tearing Polina's Nationals skates apart to the point that one of her friends actually posted and said posters were being mean. You have the people that are doing research and posting results on a daily basis for further rehashing. Unless people just enjoy the heck out of arguing and more arguing, nothing that is said is going to make any difference. For many reasons Mirai was not chosen to go to Sochi nor was she chosen to go to Japan. The decision was made - right or wrong - and it isn't going to change! I can only imagine what Mirai has gone through and truly how hard it must be to see others preparing for Sochi. I think it was very brave of her to post her feelings on her Facebook and very considerate and professional of her to wish the Olympians well. I would guess that took a lot of inner strength to do. It just seems to me, and my opinion only, that Mirai has to move on and decide now how she's going to use this experience. If she still has the fire in her gut then she'll find a coach, stay with that coach, and work her butt off before the next competitive season starts and prove the selection committee should have picked her. Or she can feel sorry for herself and wallow in what might have been. I am not minimizing the impact of the decision on Mirai's life or her skating career. I just hope she picks to fight. But I think everyone around her needs to let it go including GS members. Well, unless you just like to argue
    Thanks for the clarification, noskates.
    I for one do not like to argue. I do not see any indication in Mirai's statement that she is wallowing in anything. I do see that she has chosen your other option: to give the selection committee no choice but to pick her next time.
    And I apologize for my error re the elapsed time since Boston -- which is getting close to three weeks, as you correctly said.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •