Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi! | Golden Skate

Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is this supposed to be in order of probability?

I would think so, just based on the order presented. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Caro medaled just because she sometimes has mediocre seasons, and I suppose since she is a recent world champ and reigning WSMist it makes sense for her to be among the top favorites. The Olympics are completely different than any other event and most of the skaters below her have only proven themselves at less prestigious events.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see why Gracie is getting so much hype. She had a good skate in front of US judges but very few outside of Lipnitskaia and YuNa are capable duplicating their National results, this year, in front of International Judges. Am I missing something. She is a great up and coming lady who is developing into her own, and fun to watch, but she has never really done that well internationally. Her best GP finish this year was 3rd. I personally think both Kostner and Sotnikova can and will finish ahead of Gracie.

Great Article but the three MOST LIKELY to win a medal are YuNa, Mao, and Julia w/Koster and Sotnikova ready to pounce on any step out left on the ice. Don't forget Suzuki who I would place even higher in the medal hunt than Gracie. Who knows how the stars will align but Gracie, while possible, isn't likely to medal. I've already requested Feb 19-20 off of work. I can't wait.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well right now the judges fav for gold is 2 way race between Kim and Julia. If both goes clean we can expect Gold and Silver, between the two. One is reigning Olympic champ and the other is newly crowned Eurochamp and home town golden girl. We could be seeing ela Michelle/Tara Nagano all over again.

Mao/Suzuki/Adelina/Kostner will be fighting for bronze and potentially steal silver, if one of them make mistake. All of them have some inconsistency issues with jumps, underrotation and etc. similar PCS range 68-70+. it will be a matter of < call on jumps for former three and for Kostner, well she is Kostner ...we can expect at least one pop jump from her ..

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Me too... she's the reigning World silver medalist. I wouldn't be surprised if she pushed Asada to 3rd or off the podium, although that would require really bad skates from Asada (but then again, 2013 Worlds....).

But Kostner has had spectacular meltdowns in both her previous Olympics appearances. I'm wondering if history will repeat for the 3rd time.

BusyMom

Medalist
But Kostner has had spectacular meltdowns in both her previous Olympics appearances. I'm wondering if history will repeat for the 3rd time.

Kostner is a very SPECTACULAR skater with outstanding skating skills. This time around her injuries will be more likely the factors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Including Polina suggests an American bias for sure - Li, Met, Hegellsen and Osmond weren't mentioned surprisingly ahead or at least to consier with Polina.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Including Polina suggests an American bias for sure - Li, Met, Hegellsen and Osmond weren't mentioned surprisingly ahead or at least to consier with Polina.

Well the article is directed at American readers, who are probably interested in knowing who is representing our country. SO from that perspective she is one to watch :)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Kostner is a very SPECTACULAR skater with outstanding skating skills. This time around her injuries will be more likely the factors.

That doesn't address the concern I raised...

Despite her SPECTACULAR abilities, she had splatfests at both Turin and Vancouver.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Like I always say, I'm tentatively optimistic. I think she's made huge progress... I mean, she's nailed both of her most recent SPs... like Gold, the LP is a question mark but can potentially get her a medal if she gets it together.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Kostner skates cleanly, she should be the undisputed winner. Her skating really should be the gold standard for ladies figure skating, past and future.

She's the only one with true technique on all jumps. Her jumps are big. Her skating skills are unmatched. And she can perform the heck out of her programs.

Kim has more weaknesses than Kostner. Asada has even more weaknesses than Kim. But Kostner will probably make at least 2 big mistakes and take herself out of contention. She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.