Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Go back to the Euro Ladies LP thread and read what some of her biggest supporters said about it. I actually really like Caro. That doesn't mean her hip business isn't up for debate. She skated great otherwise minus the fall IMO.

cjuarez

Rinkside
OMG why are you so negative, you should be happy,, olympics is only a few days away!!:clap: I think that is a very nice top 10 list, I think Julia may take home advantage and edge Carolina for bronze, about the top 10 I think Zijun and Kate could be there as well, but they'll have to beat Polina and kanako probably!!! I don't think Vika and Mae can be top 10 this time. But who knows it depends wheter everybody will skate well or nerve will make them fall!!!:cry:

Icey

Record Breaker
Are you making fun of my Julia photo? I did it on my phone so I can't tell if its bad. Lol and sorry to offend. Ill update it on actual computer asap

No, Julia's photo is fine. Ashely's is the one that is bad. The lady doesn't deserve any more abuse.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
It's a side topic, but I wonder who does Ashley's and Gracie's make-up. That person seems to firmly believe that more is always better, in particular when it comes to lipstick. I have noticed that overly flashy color in earlier competitions on Gracie before, but in the picture Ashley seems to have picked it up, too. Makes her look like she is somehow involved with Batman's Joker. Not very flattering, if you ask me. At least Polina skates "clean", I hope she stays that way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's a side topic, but I wonder who does Ashley's and Gracie's make-up. That person seems to firmly believe that more is always better, in particular when it comes to lipstick. I have noticed that overly flashy color in earlier competitions on Gracie before, but in the picture Ashley seems to have picked it up, too. Makes her look like she is somehow involved with Batman's Joker. Not very flattering, if you ask me. At least Polina skates "clean", I hope she stays that way.

For better or worse, Gracie herself apparently likes the very vivid red lipstick, whether on or off the ice.
In a video this season (I think one of the NBC online fluff pieces), assorted athletes were asked to describe their signature look. Gracie's cheerful answer: her red lipstick.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
For better or worse, Gracie herself apparently likes the very vivid red lipstick, whether on or off the ice.
In a video this season (I think one of the NBC online fluff pieces), assorted athletes were asked to describe their signature look. Gracie's cheerful answer: her red lipstick.

Oh dear ... :rolleye:

katymay

Medalist
This is a good list including Polina. Winning Silver at her 1st Senior Nationals is no small accomplishment. I don't see why anyone feels the need to put her down. I see a lot of potential in her chances and apparently so does the USFA.

Agree. Her BV is high, and there seems to be a preference for athleticism over artistry. I think it all depends upon the judge panel. If Julia scores high, so will Polina. (assuming neither melts down). Both Julia and Polina have high energy skates-especially compared to those skaters who have long built in 'rest spots'. (Gold) There is also what I call the 'youthful exuberance' factor-or 'Tara' factor. I suspect the skater who will fare the worst, based upon content, will be Ashley.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Julia scores high, so will Polina. (assuming neither melts down).

What do you consider high for Polina? I see her and Julia being 20-30 pts apart. I also see zero comparison between the two's programs. Now if Russia had sent Evgenia Medvedeva you may have me convinced on a comparison.

Gracie's lipstick is OK I guess but definitely not my thing. I really wish Ashley would wear less. There are many girls at my rink that overdo it and I've always wondered why. Less is always more if you ask me.

donezo

On the Ice
Is it really unreasonable to see Polina in the top 10 in Sochi? I'm not a huge fan, but the girl's a good competitor. I don't foresee Osmond, Li, Helgesson, Marchei, et al having two clean skates. Polina's PCS will be lower than at U.S. Nationals, but her technical content is pretty impressive, especially in the short program. If she hits, I don't see why she couldn't be in the 8-10 range. If things are a real mess in the short program, she could pull a Mirai and wind up in the final flight.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it really unreasonable to see Polina in the top 10 in Sochi? I'm not a huge fan, but the girl's a good competitor. I don't foresee Osmond, Li, Helgesson, Marchei, et al having two clean skates. Polina's PCS will be lower than at U.S. Nationals, but her technical content is pretty impressive, especially in the short program. If she hits, I don't see why she couldn't be in the 8-10 range. If things are a real mess in the short program, she could pull a Mirai and wind up in the final flight.

I agree with everything you just said. I guess if you're the last on the list you're the one most easily replaced. I just wouldn't be surprised if she finishes out of the top ten. As an American I really wish I could get excited about her but she's going to have to pick up her speed for me to jump on board. I wish her and her fans the best in Sochi.

donezo

On the Ice
I agree with everything you just said. I guess if you're the last on the list your the most easily replaced. I just wouldn't be surprised if she finishes out of the top ten. As an American I really wish I could get excited about her but she's going to have to pick up her speed for me to jump on board. I wish her and her fans the best in Sochi.

Oh believe me, I groaned when she went into 2nd at the end of the short program at Nationals. :laugh: But she delivered when better skaters didn't, and that will always count for something. This is a sport for girls who can throw down when the big lights are on. That's why I keep insisting to my friends that Kanako Murakami is going to block a few favorites from a top 6 finish!

LRK

Record Breaker
I think it is not impossible - but highly unlikely. I think it's better if people don't start hoping for a top 10 finish for Polina. Hopes have a tendency to turn into expectations - and then, when they are not realised, people can feel as if they've been let down... by Polina.

desertskates

Medalist

Just think how much prettier each girl would be with a nice glossy neutral. *sigh*

R.D.

Record Breaker

I actually agree...while I think a medal is well out of reach, top 10 is not unreasonable or unfathomable. BUT - such a result heavily depends on whether she can deliver or not. If she stumbles, she will likely get buried unfortunately.

As for Gold and Wagner - both shouldn't have much trouble finishing in the top 10. Top 5 will require strong skates from both, and a podium finish for either will require favorites to stumble. Of the two, I think Gold is more likely to place higher, but I think she is ALSO more prone to meltdown. If the team selection brouhaha cools off, Wagner may be in a better position pressure-wise...expectations would have been lowered by her Nationals skate - but otherwise, her selection to the team will have some demanding good results from her so what gives?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner may be in a better position pressure-wise...expectations would have been lowered by her Nationals skate

I was with you until this statement. She will have the most pressure of any Americans. Not trying to be rude and not trying to wish ill will but come on....she has to skate well to escape the shadow of this whole debacle. It's not all her fault it's just the reality of the situation. I hope she can overcome for everyone's sake.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was with you until this statement. She will have the most pressure of any Americans. Not trying to be rude and not trying to wish ill will but come on....she has to skate well to escape the shadow of this whole debacle. It's not all her fault it's just the reality of the situation. I hope she can overcome for everyone's sake.

Yes, but did you read the rest of that sentence you quoted? Of course I'm aware of that fact!

R.D.

Record Breaker
That said, if she is put on the team event and skates well to help the US get a medal, that might vindicate her for some and take some of that pressure off for the individual event...maybe.