Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

Custom Title
    Including Polina suggests an American bias for sure - Li, Met, Hegellsen and Osmond weren't mentioned surprisingly ahead or at least to consier with Polina.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Including Polina suggests an American bias for sure - Li, Met, Hegellsen and Osmond weren't mentioned surprisingly ahead or at least to consier with Polina.
    Well the article is directed at American readers, who are probably interested in knowing who is representing our country. SO from that perspective she is one to watch

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Kostner is a very SPECTACULAR skater with outstanding skating skills. This time around her injuries will be more likely the factors.
    That doesn't address the concern I raised...

Despite her SPECTACULAR abilities, she had splatfests at both Turin and Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    But Kostner has had spectacular meltdowns in both her previous Olympics appearances. I'm wondering if history will repeat for the 3rd time.
    Like I always say, I'm tentatively optimistic. I think she's made huge progress... I mean, she's nailed both of her most recent SPs... like Gold, the LP is a question mark but can potentially get her a medal if she gets it together.

Custom Title
    If Kostner skates cleanly, she should be the undisputed winner. Her skating really should be the gold standard for ladies figure skating, past and future.

She's the only one with true technique on all jumps. Her jumps are big. Her skating skills are unmatched. And she can perform the heck out of her programs.

Kim has more weaknesses than Kostner. Asada has even more weaknesses than Kim. But Kostner will probably make at least 2 big mistakes and take herself out of contention. She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I really hope Julia can get a medal. I am one of those who thinks she can do it even without the home crowd advantage but if she comes up short then I hope Caro is there to take her podium spot. Best of luck to all in the hunt. I do not expect a splatterfest like we had at GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.
    It's too bad. If skated cleanly with 7 triples, her Bolero should set a World record (at least if I were judging). However, doing two toes and two salchows leaves a few points on the table.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If Kostner skates cleanly, she should be the undisputed winner. Her skating really should be the gold standard for ladies figure skating, past and future.

She's the only one with true technique on all jumps. Her jumps are big. Her skating skills are unmatched. And she can perform the heck out of her programs.

Kim has more weaknesses than Kostner. Asada has even more weaknesses than Kim. But Kostner will probably make at least 2 big mistakes and take herself out of contention. She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.
    Carolina no longer deserves to be the winner even if she (and everyone else) is clean. What I liked about Carolina was that before her switch back to Bolero, she ended her LP with a real triple. Unlike Mao, who ends her program with some throwaway moves after a long footwork sequence, and unlike Yuna, who ends with the same double Axel & combination spin that she has been doing for the last 10 years. Too bad Caro is now ending with a very mediocre spin that goes on forever. I get that she often missed her Salchow, I get that Mao's footwork is no doubt very tiring, and I get that Yuna has after 10 years really perfected the art of ending with 2A => spin and would be loath to change anything, but it would be nice to see a lady skate the last LP of her career with something risky and different, maybe even something spectacular.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Polina being 10th? What is this author smoking
    This is a good list including Polina. Winning Silver at her 1st Senior Nationals is no small accomplishment. I don't see why anyone feels the need to put her down. I see a lot of potential in her chances and apparently so does the USFA.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Carolina no longer deserves to be the winner even if she (and everyone else) is clean. What I liked about Carolina was that before her switch back to Bolero, she ended her LP with a real triple. Unlike Mao, who ends her program with some throwaway moves after a long footwork sequence, and unlike Yuna, who ends with the same double Axel & combination spin that she has been doing for the last 10 years. Too bad Caro is now ending with a very mediocre spin that goes on forever. I get that she often missed her Salchow, I get that Mao's footwork is no doubt very tiring, and I get that Yuna has after 10 years really perfected the art of ending with 2A => spin and would be loath to change anything, but it would be nice to see a lady skate the last LP of her career with something risky and different, maybe even something spectacular.
    She's old. It's a miracle she's still doing lutz and flip and 3x3.

Custom Title
    Still don't get why everyone is so obsessed with Caro's Bolero. I really tried to understand the love last season, didn't happen. This year at Euros. Same story again. Nice programm, not more.
    As for the rating, I wouldn't put Polina on the list, maybe Li or Osmond instead and as of for now Julia should've been 3rd. And yes, I really want Julia to skate clean(we all know she can do it) and get a medal. I can watch her LP every single day numerous times. It has developed throughout the season a lot.(just watched Finlandia Trophy and Euros).
    You know what was in my mind for some time after US Nationals... Maybe I would put Mirai on the team, but... Edmunds is 15 which in some way is the answer to Russia's Julia, who is also 15. So there would not be those people "she is the only one that young", they had to have their youngster on the team. While Gold and Sotnikova are pretty much the same age as well. I might be wrong, but that might have been one of the reasons while choosing their team.(and I am absolutely sure Wagner deserved to go to Oly, she has done a lot past seasons)

Custom Title
    That doesn't address the concern I raised...

Despite her SPECTACULAR abilities, she had splatfests at both Turin and Vancouver.
    What was the last event Carolina competed in that she didn't medal at? Worlds 2010. That's quite remarkable when you remember that in that season, she was sixth at her two GP events (as well as Worlds), had a disaster at the Olympics, and actually lost her own national championship.

That's my way of saying that this is a new Kostner. One that actually doesn't melt down (which doesn't mean she's flawless) but one that can have a bloody nose right before her program before nailing a beautiful triple lutz. Who has some gorgeous qualities that really stand out in this field. One that has two really awesome programs (arguably the best in the field). She essentially had to learn how to compete again after Vancouver - and she actually became a better skater overall - and she was already a really great skater. In a perfect world, she'll have a great Olympics and be crowned champion.

Custom Title
    Was that really the best picture they could find of Ashley? Jesus

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MsLiinaLii View Post
    Still don't get why everyone is so obsessed with Caro's Bolero. I really tried to understand the love last season, didn't happen. This year at Euros. Same story again. Nice programm, not more.
    Seconded. The program is so cheesy I got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.

seconded. the program is so cheesy i got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.
    ita.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast