Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77

Thread: Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

  1. #46
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,044
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongEdge View Post
    It's a side topic, but I wonder who does Ashley's and Gracie's make-up. That person seems to firmly believe that more is always better, in particular when it comes to lipstick. I have noticed that overly flashy color in earlier competitions on Gracie before, but in the picture Ashley seems to have picked it up, too. Makes her look like she is somehow involved with Batman's Joker. Not very flattering, if you ask me. At least Polina skates "clean", I hope she stays that way.
    For better or worse, Gracie herself apparently likes the very vivid red lipstick, whether on or off the ice.
    In a video this season (I think one of the NBC online fluff pieces), assorted athletes were asked to describe their signature look. Gracie's cheerful answer: her red lipstick.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    For better or worse, Gracie herself apparently likes the very vivid red lipstick, whether on or off the ice.
    In a video this season (I think one of the NBC online fluff pieces), assorted athletes were asked to describe their signature look. Gracie's cheerful answer: her red lipstick.
    Oh dear ...

  3. #48
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    83
    Edmunds?? Lol

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    This is a good list including Polina. Winning Silver at her 1st Senior Nationals is no small accomplishment. I don't see why anyone feels the need to put her down. I see a lot of potential in her chances and apparently so does the USFA.
    Agree. Her BV is high, and there seems to be a preference for athleticism over artistry. I think it all depends upon the judge panel. If Julia scores high, so will Polina. (assuming neither melts down). Both Julia and Polina have high energy skates-especially compared to those skaters who have long built in 'rest spots'. (Gold) There is also what I call the 'youthful exuberance' factor-or 'Tara' factor. I suspect the skater who will fare the worst, based upon content, will be Ashley.

  5. #50
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    If Julia scores high, so will Polina. (assuming neither melts down).
    What do you consider high for Polina? I see her and Julia being 20-30 pts apart. I also see zero comparison between the two's programs. Now if Russia had sent Evgenia Medvedeva you may have me convinced on a comparison.

    Gracie's lipstick is OK I guess but definitely not my thing. I really wish Ashley would wear less. There are many girls at my rink that overdo it and I've always wondered why. Less is always more if you ask me.

  6. #51
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    56
    Is it really unreasonable to see Polina in the top 10 in Sochi? I'm not a huge fan, but the girl's a good competitor. I don't foresee Osmond, Li, Helgesson, Marchei, et al having two clean skates. Polina's PCS will be lower than at U.S. Nationals, but her technical content is pretty impressive, especially in the short program. If she hits, I don't see why she couldn't be in the 8-10 range. If things are a real mess in the short program, she could pull a Mirai and wind up in the final flight.

  7. #52
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    Is it really unreasonable to see Polina in the top 10 in Sochi? I'm not a huge fan, but the girl's a good competitor. I don't foresee Osmond, Li, Helgesson, Marchei, et al having two clean skates. Polina's PCS will be lower than at U.S. Nationals, but her technical content is pretty impressive, especially in the short program. If she hits, I don't see why she couldn't be in the 8-10 range. If things are a real mess in the short program, she could pull a Mirai and wind up in the final flight.
    I agree with everything you just said. I guess if you're the last on the list you're the one most easily replaced. I just wouldn't be surprised if she finishes out of the top ten. As an American I really wish I could get excited about her but she's going to have to pick up her speed for me to jump on board. I wish her and her fans the best in Sochi.

  8. #53
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I agree with everything you just said. I guess if you're the last on the list your the most easily replaced. I just wouldn't be surprised if she finishes out of the top ten. As an American I really wish I could get excited about her but she's going to have to pick up her speed for me to jump on board. I wish her and her fans the best in Sochi.
    Oh believe me, I groaned when she went into 2nd at the end of the short program at Nationals. But she delivered when better skaters didn't, and that will always count for something. This is a sport for girls who can throw down when the big lights are on. That's why I keep insisting to my friends that Kanako Murakami is going to block a few favorites from a top 6 finish!

  9. #54
    Custom Title LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,225
    I think it is not impossible - but highly unlikely. I think it's better if people don't start hoping for a top 10 finish for Polina. Hopes have a tendency to turn into expectations - and then, when they are not realised, people can feel as if they've been let down... by Polina.

  10. #55
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    But Kostner has had spectacular meltdowns in both her previous Olympics appearances. I'm wondering if history will repeat for the 3rd time.
    The third time is the charm.....

  11. #56
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    For better or worse, Gracie herself apparently likes the very vivid red lipstick, whether on or off the ice.
    In a video this season (I think one of the NBC online fluff pieces), assorted athletes were asked to describe their signature look. Gracie's cheerful answer: her red lipstick.
    Just think how much prettier each girl would be with a nice glossy neutral. *sigh*

  12. #57
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    Is it really unreasonable to see Polina in the top 10 in Sochi? I'm not a huge fan, but the girl's a good competitor. I don't foresee Osmond, Li, Helgesson, Marchei, et al having two clean skates. Polina's PCS will be lower than at U.S. Nationals, but her technical content is pretty impressive, especially in the short program. If she hits, I don't see why she couldn't be in the 8-10 range. If things are a real mess in the short program, she could pull a Mirai and wind up in the final flight.
    I actually agree...while I think a medal is well out of reach, top 10 is not unreasonable or unfathomable. BUT - such a result heavily depends on whether she can deliver or not. If she stumbles, she will likely get buried unfortunately.

    As for Gold and Wagner - both shouldn't have much trouble finishing in the top 10. Top 5 will require strong skates from both, and a podium finish for either will require favorites to stumble. Of the two, I think Gold is more likely to place higher, but I think she is ALSO more prone to meltdown. If the team selection brouhaha cools off, Wagner may be in a better position pressure-wise...expectations would have been lowered by her Nationals skate - but otherwise, her selection to the team will have some demanding good results from her so what gives?

  13. #58
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Wagner may be in a better position pressure-wise...expectations would have been lowered by her Nationals skate
    I was with you until this statement. She will have the most pressure of any Americans. Not trying to be rude and not trying to wish ill will but come on....she has to skate well to escape the shadow of this whole debacle. It's not all her fault it's just the reality of the situation. I hope she can overcome for everyone's sake.

  14. #59
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I was with you until this statement. She will have the most pressure of any Americans. Not trying to be rude and not trying to wish ill will but come on....she has to skate well to escape the shadow of this whole debacle. It's not all her fault it's just the reality of the situation. I hope she can overcome for everyone's sake.
    Yes, but did you read the rest of that sentence you quoted? Of course I'm aware of that fact!

  15. #60
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    That said, if she is put on the team event and skates well to help the US get a medal, that might vindicate her for some and take some of that pressure off for the individual event...maybe.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •