Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Thread: Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

  1. #61
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    What do you consider high for Polina? I see her and Julia being 20-30 pts apart.
    While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close, this is probably the margin we will see. Aside from home cooking, Julia has established herself as a top medal contender this season by beating every skater she has faced except Mao. Her marks have risen throughout the season through a number of high quality skates. Julia could not show up to Sochi as an unknown skater and get the high marks she is likely to get.

  2. #62
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy
    While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close
    I disagree. Polina should get higher jump GOE, but Julia has better non-jump elements. When it comes to PCS, especially the LP, Julia should score a good amount higher. She has the better programs, transitions, posture, lines and even emotional investment in her music. Polina has lots of talent and some good spunk, but she still looks clunky and 'juniorish', whereas Julia has a nice amount of sophistication already.

  3. #63
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,964
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Yes, but did you read the rest of that sentence you quoted? Of course I'm aware of that fact!
    I was actually a bit confused by the what gives line. I left it out because I wasn't sure what you meant. If I read it right now, what your saying is, you think people expect less out of her yet the same people are demanding results, correct. If so then I retract and completely agree with everything you said. However, I don't think it's unfair to expect a little more from someone you made an exception for. I do this at work almost everyday. Just saying.

  4. #64
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,964
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close, this is probably the margin we will see. Aside from home cooking, Julia has established herself as a top medal contender this season by beating every skater she has faced except Mao. Her marks have risen throughout the season through a number of high quality skates. Julia could not show up to Sochi as an unknown skater and get the high marks she is likely to get.
    I think everyone can agree that Julia has worked her butt off this year!

  5. #65
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Me too... she's the reigning World silver medalist. I wouldn't be surprised if she pushed Asada to 3rd or off the podium, although that would require really bad skates from Asada (but then again, 2013 Worlds....).
    She barely edged Mao at Worlds though (who also won the LP) and she was attempting harder content than she is currently this season. Technically, Carolina did not skate all that well at Worlds last year, yet she hasn't been able to even match her performances last season in terms of difficulty and execution. If Caro doesn't increase her difficulty in her SP by Sochi, there will be a few skaters who will can potentially place above her due to more difficult content.

  6. #66
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I was actually a bit confused by the what gives line. I left it out because I wasn't sure what you meant. If I read it right now, what your[sic] saying is, you think people expect less out of her yet the same people are demanding results, correct.
    You're still missing one part - the very beginning - IF the team selection mess cools off, THEN her mediocre performance at Nationals might lower expectations.

    But it seems to appear that it hasn't quite blown over. For instance, it was mentioned in the most recent issue of SI in the Olympic preview section. Therefore, many will put pressure on her to deliver results (irregardless of what happened at Nationals) to justify what is perceived to be a snub to Nagasu, who outskated her fair and square at Nationals.

    Anyway, Wagner claims she can handle it without having even seen Olympic ice before, let alone skated on it. We shall see...

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    877
    Julia will pull a TaraSarah and win gold. Not what I'm hoping for but what I am expecting. Of course, someone could pull an Arakawa like Carolina. I'm hoping for a medal for Ashley and/or Akiko.

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    452
    I'm going to watch Zijun Li, too.

    My feeling is that one of Gold, Julia and Zijun could upset the top guns.

  9. #69
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Seconded. The program is so cheesy I got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

    I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.
    this is just funny, thanks for making me smile

  10. #70
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,028
    I sense we all want the olympic to come right now I wonder what the experience will be for the non favourites like Han or McCorkell.

  11. #71
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,964
    Quote Originally Posted by nagoya View Post
    this is just funny, thanks for making me smile
    Same here! I kept coming back to it all day at work. I would just start laughing and people would ask why.

  12. #72
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I'm going to watch Zijun Li, too.

    My feeling is that one of Gold, Julia and Zijun could upset the top guns.
    Heh I am probably one of the biggest Zijun fan on the board, but politics is not on her side. Even check out the 4CCs, even when she clearly has the crowd on her side, it hardly translate in PCS.

    I'd love it, if Li can manage a top 10 finish given this current field with Japanese and Russian desperately align and pulling ranks together to prop their skaters. You bet US will pull up on Gold too, or even Ashley.

    How much of a contender will depends on how Julia perform in the team events which she is to do both the SP and LP. If she manage to win her events, it will boost her chances for sure. I don't know why Adelina is not doing one of the events, is Russia propping her so hard for individual more than Julia?

  13. #73
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    She barely edged Mao at Worlds though (who also won the LP) and she was attempting harder content than she is currently this season. Technically, Carolina did not skate all that well at Worlds last year, yet she hasn't been able to even match her performances last season in terms of difficulty and execution. If Caro doesn't increase her difficulty in her SP by Sochi, there will be a few skaters who will can potentially place above her due to more difficult content.
    carolina got 130 points in her 2013 worlds free skate with a popped triple loop (single) and a fall on a triple salchow (fall + under rotated). had she not made these 2 errors her presentation would have also improved. safe to say, a clean carolina could get around 145. the judges love bolero. her content in both the short and long program is the same as last year (she adds the triple toe to the triple flip in the long only when she really needs it).

    her performances this year have been bad because she was injured and never really loved her programs. she's been feeling better and loves her new short and long program. you have to cut her some slack at europeans because she hadn't had enough practice time (injury) and it was the first time she had ever skated to ave maria and the first time she had skated to bolero this season.

  14. #74
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingJackson View Post
    carolina got 130 points in her 2013 worlds free skate with a popped triple loop (single) and a fall on a triple salchow (fall + under rotated). had she not made these 2 errors her presentation would have also improved. safe to say, a clean carolina could get around 145. the judges love bolero. her content in both the short and long program is the same as last year (she adds the triple toe to the triple flip in the long only when she really needs it).

    her performances this year have been bad because she was injured and never really loved her programs. she's been feeling better and loves her new short and long program. you have to cut her some slack at europeans because she hadn't had enough practice time (injury) and it was the first time she had ever skated to ave maria and the first time she had skated to bolero this season.
    She made almost the same amount of errors in her LP at Europeans and was placed third even with the highest PCS. She definitely needs a 3-3 combo in both programs to remain competitive this year. In fact, she got one of her highest SP scores in her career at Euros, yet could not manage to outscore the Russian skaters. The field has become much more competitive this season.

  15. #75
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Heh I am probably one of the biggest Zijun fan on the board, but politics is not on her side. Even check out the 4CCs, even when she clearly has the crowd on her side, it hardly translate in PCS.

    I'd love it, if Li can manage a top 10 finish given this current field with Japanese and Russian desperately align and pulling ranks together to prop their skaters. You bet US will pull up on Gold too, or even Ashley.

    How much of a contender will depends on how Julia perform in the team events which she is to do both the SP and LP. If she manage to win her events, it will boost her chances for sure. I don't know why Adelina is not doing one of the events, is Russia propping her so hard for individual more than Julia?
    Oh, yes, gotta watch those evil Japanese and Russians and their devious ways...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •