Elena Radionova to miss Junior Worlds | Golden Skate

Elena Radionova to miss Junior Worlds

Elistra

Rinkside
Has this news already been posted somewhere? I'm very sad to hear this... :cry: :cry: :cry: Elena's been my favorite newbie of this season and I was so hoping she competes in the Jr. Worlds and possibly defends the champion title and makes a history for herself by becoming the first ever to do so.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been any lady skater who repeated Jr. World gold medalist in the history of the competition?)

My wish for her is that she overcomes her injuries and the growth spurts really well during the off-season and emerges as a strong medal contender among the top senior ladies in next season. Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed!!!

http://fskating.com/2014/01/radionova-to-miss-junior-worlds.html

Barb

Record Breaker
poor Elena, but why? It is because her injury.? the article is not very clear.

Elistra

Rinkside
poor Elena, but why? It is because her injury.? the article is not very clear.

From an unconfirmed source, I read that she grew 5~6cm in just last month. Also, she's been suffering from her ankle injury and had to skip the Russian Juniors last week as a result. I suspect it's due to her growth spurts.
It's almost unbelievable to the point of being scary how fast these adolescents grow up in such a short time.

Shani

On the Ice
She probably needs new boots too. Generally the feet grow as well in these growth spurts.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It had to happen one day (the growth spurt, I mean). I actually think the timing is pretty good: she still managed to skate at the SGP and she'll have time until next season starts to get used to her new body and heal her injurys. The 2nd JW title would have been great, but it's not as if she'd need it.

Speedy recovery Elena, and give that stupid puberty monster a run for it's money in the next months. Hopefully she'll be back for the next SGP in full health! :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the junior ladies world curse is at it again

anyways, I agree Elena grew a lot she was visibly taller than Julia at Russian Nationals podium
so its possible her recent injury is growth spurt related, Julia so far has been lucky her growth has not been abrupt and she grows slowly
Elena has enough time for off season to heal and hopefully regain her previous form for next season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope the puberty monster doesn't destroy her. But I think of Liza and even Mirai, Caroline Zhang their bodies changed so much that cannot be easy. this is why I thnk Gold has a much better chance of dominating than the Russian baby ballerinas - they are still all eligible for puberty attacks other than Leonova who is much older like Wagner. Gold seems to be finished her major growth spurt.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^ How does Adelina Sotnikova look like she'd still grow so much? She seems to be over her puberty monsters. And she has some potential too.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I hope the puberty monster doesn't destroy her. But I think of Liza and even Mirai, Caroline Zhang their bodies changed so much that cannot be easy. this is why I thnk Gold has a much better chance of dominating than the Russian baby ballerinas - they are still all eligible for puberty attacks other than Leonova who is much older like Wagner. Gold seems to be finished her major growth spurt.

right because Adelina Sotnikova and still looks like a tiny ballerina :sarcasm:
Sotnikova I would say is done with her growth and is just a thin and mature looking as Gracie ( hint they have less than a year in age gap )

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been any lady skater who repeated Jr. World gold medalist in the history of the competition?)

Nope, it has never been done before.
The closest ever was when Simone Koch and Karin Hendschke, both GDR, finished 1 and 2 in 1983, and again in 1984 - only in reversed order! ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
right because Adelina Sotnikova and still looks like a tiny ballerina :sarcasm:
Sotnikova I would say is done with her growth and is just a thin and mature looking as Gracie ( hint they have less than a year in age gap )

Yeah it is flatly delusional to assert that Gold is done growing but Sot is not. They have both been through and survived puberty.

If you want to say Gracie has better technique than Adelina and is therefore more likely to succeed, though, that's a different question.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Can someone grow 5~6cm in a month? Sounds like my bone will hurt to grow that fast. Basically as long as Radionova does not grow too tall, I believe it will be fine for her. Since she has very narrow shoulder and hip bone, unlike Mirai and Zhang. A little more weight will be good for her.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah it is flatly delusional to assert that Gold is done growing but Sot is not. They have both been through and survived puberty.

If you want to say Gracie has better technique than Adelina and is therefore more likely to succeed, though, that's a different question.

Well, the 'better technique' has not been very useful to her during the GP season, was it! I am not sure how to measure who is more likely succeed, but at this moment Gracie has only managed to have one good competition in this whole season, unlike Adelina.

peeches726

Rinkside
Has this news already been posted somewhere? I'm very sad to hear this... :cry: :cry: :cry: Elena's been my favorite newbie of this season and I was so hoping she competes in the Jr. Worlds and possibly defends the champion title and makes a history for herself by becoming the first ever to do so.

My wish for her is that she overcomes her injuries and the growth spurts really well during the off-season and emerges as a strong medal contender among the top senior ladies in next season. Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed!!!

http://fskating.com/2014/01/radionova-to-miss-junior-worlds.html

I think Elena Ivanova won the entire set of medals at junior worlds in the mid-late 90s so that might be the closest. Powerful skater never transitioned successfully to seniors... Wonder what happened...

caseyl23

Rinkside
Let's wait a few weeks before we start analyzing the season of either Gracie or Adelina. Based on the Grand Prix, sure Adelina has the upper leg, but no skater should have been geared to be in peak form in October, November and December. February and maybe March is when the skaters should be at their best, and we're just starting to get into February, now. From what we've seen in January competitions, both Adelina and Gracie are in the best form they've been in all season. We'll see how that translates into the Olympics/Worlds.

And it's too bad about Elena, but if she really is going through so many setbacks, the best thing for her is to take the time she needs to make sure she's fully recovered, well-rested and ready to go next season. Four years is a long time to wait, and it'll be tough – especially in Russia – if she falls behind the rest of the field early.

coppertop1

On the Ice
She probably needs new boots too. Generally the feet grow as well in these growth spurts.

This was an issue with Michelle Kwan in 1996-97 when she had a growthspurt and filled out, she went through several pairs of boots. Rest and recover Elena. She has unlimited potential, I look forward to seeing her develop and mature more as a skater.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I'm sorry to hear Elena is injured, but I think it's a good thing that she's missing Jr. Worlds. She's established herself as a senior, so I think that might be like taking a step back if she had gone.