Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Worlds: Cohen and others

Medalist

Changes for Worlds: Cohen and others

Now that Worlds in only three weeks away, what changes do you think skaters are/should be making to their programs?

From Sasha Cohen's online journal
    We’ve changed the long program a little bit by adding in some new cuts of music. We’re putting in a lot of work on speed and working on my strengths and flow consistency. We want to polish my programs so they are second nature to me.
    Interesting contrast between this approach and what Rgirl suggests is the problem.

What should other skaters (and not only the women) do?

InsecureEdge
    Last edited by insecureedge; 03-03-2004 at 01:47 AM.

Custom Woman
    Thanks, Insecureedge. I couldn't remember what I suggested. From Sasha's short journal entry, it's hard to tell how much they've changed her LP or the kinds of changes. Plus she says they're working on "making the programs second nature for me," which is what I suggested, ie, get the programs to where muscle memory takes over.

Rereading what I said, I think that given the two and half month period of time, some change is helpful, especially when there is no competition for that long, because it gives the skater something to work on and helps prevent the program from becoming stale. It's not good to make too many changes in too short a period of time, which I think Tarasova did; but it can also be not good to have nothing new to work on. It's a judgment call and hopefully Robin Wagner has made the right call for Sasha. If the changes involve a couple of sections of different music and some choreography, I think that's fine, probably beneficial. Changing jump entrances, jump order, and things like that, not so fine.

In any case, we'll see. Great question, IE.
    Rgirl

This is an interesting question. I like Rgirl's point that you have to have something to work on to keep from getting stale. But I think Sasha's strategy -- working on speed and flow consistency and polishing her programs so they are second nature -- is the right one for Worlds. In fact, I think that all of the top ladies except Michelle mostly just need to do well what they are already doing. Whoever skates the best will win.

As for Michelle -- uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Joe will say I'm nitpicking, but she really needs that triple-triple. Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely -- Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko. Michelle might coast to another World Championship just by being her usual wonderful self -- that is, just by doing what she does and doing it superbly. But looking ahead, she needs to distance herself from the pack rather than rest on her laurels. In Dortmund she can't count on the crowd to lift her into the stratosphere -- she will have to do more than just skate cleanly if she wants to bring the house down like she did in Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-07-2004 at 06:47 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Here is a kinda dumb off-topic question. Whenever I pull up Sasha's journal page, up comes this.......puke green colored page. Do others come up with the same color page or is it just I? IF so why does she not change the color???

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Mistyeyed
    Here is a kinda dumb off-topic question. Whenever I pull up Sasha's journal page, up comes this.......puke green colored page. Do others come up with the same color page or is it just I? IF so why does she not change the color???
    No that is the color of the page... I think it's always been that way. :\ Also I do not think the color of her page was her choice but the person who designed the website's choice.

I think Sasha, Michelle, Fumie, Shizuka, and now, Miki (just won the Jrs. and landed the quad), are in the best shape they can be.

If I were coaching I would work on last minuted changes to make the flow of the routine better. Pauses, imo, tend to take away from the competitive skater.

I've never been to Sasha's Journal. I must visit. As to the color, I think many web sites should re-think their color schemes. When the colors interefere with the reading, it's a bad choice.

Joe

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......
    Talk about changes prior to Worlds....Shizuka has just changed coaches from Richard Callaghan to Tatiana Tarasova....

...Will this help or hinder her? Will she receive the same criticism that Michelle and Sasha received when they made coaching changes just prior to the major competitive events?

Custom Title
    Will she get the same overinflated marks Sasha received from international judges? POLITIKS and MONEY.:D

I think Sasha's coaching change to Wagner was right on the money. As for all the competitors, the "proof of the pudding" so to speak isn't just the prep work going into a major competition, but the "mind-set" on the day they have to skate. Same for any sport, really........we'll see who's well prepared AND mentally tough.......42

Rinkside
    Originally posted by Mathman

As for Michelle -- uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Joe will say I'm nitpicking, but she really needs that triple-triple. Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely ¡V Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko. Michelle might coast to another World Championship just by being her usual wonderful self -- that is, just by doing what she does and doing it superbly. But looking ahead, she needs to distance herself from the pack rather than rest on her laurels. In Dortmund she can't count on the crowd to lift her into the stratosphere -- she will have to do more than just skate cleanly if she wants to bring the house down like she did in Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

Mathman
    Well, according to recent practice reports, Michelle is working on 3t/3t and
    3r/3r. I seriously doubt she would put the 3loop combo in the program, but the 3t/3t seems likely. Before nats she was apprently planning to put the combo at the place where the solo 3toe was, which seems very gutsy considering how late that was!
    I think she'll do triple-triples in practice at words and if they're going well, hopefully we'll see her attempt one in the freeskate

Thanks for the update, Icewings. And welcome to the forum!

Mistyeyed, I kind of like the pea-soup color on Sasha's journal. Sort of understated, or something.

Mathman

Custom Title
    I don't think it's nessecary for new music cuts, but I am still anxious to see what they add. I loved all the cuts they used for SL, and I dont see why she changed it. It was fine the way before, and it might throw Sasha off if they change the program so much. I am worried about it, and yea, the slightest thing can unnerve Sasha. Sasha and Sarah are two different skaters. They have different mentalities and work ethics and need to be trained differently
    But if it makes Sasha more comfortable with her program, and she is able to do her best than I am all for it I can't wait for worlds, they seem to be intensifying their training everyday!

Custom Title
    Sasha just said they changed the program a little bit by adding in some new cuts of music. Doesn't sound like anything major. Probably wanted to move or add a jumping pass and it didn't go with the current music cut. I think the first half is great but Sasha seems to have problems in the 2nd half. She seems to have problems on the first jump after a slow section. Her falls seem to happen there most of the time and it happens to be the triple toe. Maybe Robin wanted to change the slow section a bit or move the triple toe as she's having bad memories of that jump in that spot. Until we actually see it you can't say if it is good or bad.

Is Sasha still doing the Simsbury send off show this coming weekend? If so somebody will be able to say what the changes are.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely -- Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko.
    I actually agree with your point, I just think that we sometimes get carried away with all of these supposidly 3/3 toting gals out there.

AFAIK, Liashenko has neverlanded a 3/3 in her life. Fumie's 3/3 seems to be a practice ice 3/3 only, and I'd hardly call Arakawa's and Cupcake's 3/3s a sure bet. No lady seems to really have a dependable 3/3 these days. Ando's 3z/3r has a great success rate, but even she missed it in her winning JW LP. Even Hughes used to miss hers just as much as land them.

So.... you, me, MK, her coach, and about half the population of the world agree that MK should reintroduce the 3/3 into competition, but reports of consistant 3/3s from other gals are greatly exagerated IMHO.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    [i]So.... you, me, MK, her coach, and about half the population of the world agree that MK should reintroduce the 3/3 into competition, but reports of consistant 3/3s from other gals are greatly exagerated IMHO. [/B]
    Exactly BG!!! It drives me crazy when people talk about ALL the ladies doing 3/3's ... it just has not happened. That said, I hope MK goes for it at Worlds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast