Changes for Worlds: Cohen and others | Golden Skate

Changes for Worlds: Cohen and others

insecureedge

On the Ice
Now that Worlds in only three weeks away, what changes do you think skaters are/should be making to their programs?

From Sasha Cohen's online journal
We’ve changed the long program a little bit by adding in some new cuts of music. We’re putting in a lot of work on speed and working on my strengths and flow consistency. We want to polish my programs so they are second nature to me.

Interesting contrast between this approach and what Rgirl suggests is the problem.

What should other skaters (and not only the women) do?

InsecureEdge

Last edited:
Thanks, Insecureedge. I couldn't remember what I suggested. From Sasha's short journal entry, it's hard to tell how much they've changed her LP or the kinds of changes. Plus she says they're working on "making the programs second nature for me," which is what I suggested, ie, get the programs to where muscle memory takes over.

Rereading what I said, I think that given the two and half month period of time, some change is helpful, especially when there is no competition for that long, because it gives the skater something to work on and helps prevent the program from becoming stale. It's not good to make too many changes in too short a period of time, which I think Tarasova did; but it can also be not good to have nothing new to work on. It's a judgment call and hopefully Robin Wagner has made the right call for Sasha. If the changes involve a couple of sections of different music and some choreography, I think that's fine, probably beneficial. Changing jump entrances, jump order, and things like that, not so fine.

In any case, we'll see. Great question, IE.:)
Rgirl

This is an interesting question. I like Rgirl's point that you have to have something to work on to keep from getting stale. But I think Sasha's strategy -- working on speed and flow consistency and polishing her programs so they are second nature -- is the right one for Worlds. In fact, I think that all of the top ladies except Michelle mostly just need to do well what they are already doing. Whoever skates the best will win.

As for Michelle -- uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Joe will say I'm nitpicking, but she really needs that triple-triple. Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely -- Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko. Michelle might coast to another World Championship just by being her usual wonderful self -- that is, just by doing what she does and doing it superbly. But looking ahead, she needs to distance herself from the pack rather than rest on her laurels. In Dortmund she can't count on the crowd to lift her into the stratosphere -- she will have to do more than just skate cleanly if she wants to bring the house down like she did in Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

Mathman

Last edited:

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Here is a kinda dumb off-topic question. Whenever I pull up Sasha's journal page, up comes this.......puke green colored page. Do others come up with the same color page or is it just I? IF so why does she not change the color???

Koroleva

On the Ice
Mistyeyed said:
Here is a kinda dumb off-topic question. Whenever I pull up Sasha's journal page, up comes this.......puke green colored page. Do others come up with the same color page or is it just I? IF so why does she not change the color???

No that is the color of the page... I think it's always been that way. :\ Also I do not think the color of her page was her choice but the person who designed the website's choice.

I think Sasha, Michelle, Fumie, Shizuka, and now, Miki (just won the Jrs. and landed the quad), are in the best shape they can be.

If I were coaching I would work on last minuted changes to make the flow of the routine better. Pauses, imo, tend to take away from the competitive skater.

I've never been to Sasha's Journal. I must visit. As to the color, I think many web sites should re-think their color schemes. When the colors interefere with the reading, it's a bad choice.

Joe

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Talk about changes prior to Worlds....Shizuka has just changed coaches from Richard Callaghan to Tatiana Tarasova....

...Will this help or hinder her? Will she receive the same criticism that Michelle and Sasha received when they made coaching changes just prior to the major competitive events?

curious

Final Flight
Will she get the same overinflated marks Sasha received from international judges? POLITIKS and MONEY.:D

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think Sasha's coaching change to Wagner was right on the money. As for all the competitors, the "proof of the pudding" so to speak isn't just the prep work going into a major competition, but the "mind-set" on the day they have to skate. Same for any sport, really........we'll see who's well prepared AND mentally tough.......42

icewings

Rinkside
Mathman said:

As for Michelle -- uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Joe will say I'm nitpicking, but she really needs that triple-triple. Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely ¡V Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko. Michelle might coast to another World Championship just by being her usual wonderful self -- that is, just by doing what she does and doing it superbly. But looking ahead, she needs to distance herself from the pack rather than rest on her laurels. In Dortmund she can't count on the crowd to lift her into the stratosphere -- she will have to do more than just skate cleanly if she wants to bring the house down like she did in Atlanta.

Just my opinion.

Mathman
Well, according to recent practice reports, Michelle is working on 3t/3t and
3r/3r. I seriously doubt she would put the 3loop combo in the program, but the 3t/3t seems likely. Before nats she was apprently planning to put the combo at the place where the solo 3toe was, which seems very gutsy considering how late that was!
I think she'll do triple-triples in practice at words and if they're going well, hopefully we'll see her attempt one in the freeskate

Thanks for the update, Icewings. And welcome to the forum!:)

Mistyeyed, I kind of like the pea-soup color on Sasha's journal. Sort of understated, or something.:)

Mathman

ouridol

On the Ice
I don't think it's nessecary for new music cuts, but I am still anxious to see what they add. I loved all the cuts they used for SL, and I dont see why she changed it. It was fine the way before, and it might throw Sasha off if they change the program so much. I am worried about it, and yea, the slightest thing can unnerve Sasha. Sasha and Sarah are two different skaters. They have different mentalities and work ethics and need to be trained differently
But if it makes Sasha more comfortable with her program, and she is able to do her best than I am all for it I can't wait for worlds, they seem to be intensifying their training everyday!

LBC

On the Ice
Sasha just said they changed the program a little bit by adding in some new cuts of music. Doesn't sound like anything major. Probably wanted to move or add a jumping pass and it didn't go with the current music cut. I think the first half is great but Sasha seems to have problems in the 2nd half. She seems to have problems on the first jump after a slow section. Her falls seem to happen there most of the time and it happens to be the triple toe. Maybe Robin wanted to change the slow section a bit or move the triple toe as she's having bad memories of that jump in that spot. Until we actually see it you can't say if it is good or bad.

Is Sasha still doing the Simsbury send off show this coming weekend? If so somebody will be able to say what the changes are.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Lots of the other girls are doing them fairly routinely -- Suguri, Arakawa, Sokolova, Liashenko.

I actually agree with your point, I just think that we sometimes get carried away with all of these supposidly 3/3 toting gals out there.

AFAIK, Liashenko has neverlanded a 3/3 in her life. Fumie's 3/3 seems to be a practice ice 3/3 only, and I'd hardly call Arakawa's and Cupcake's 3/3s a sure bet. No lady seems to really have a dependable 3/3 these days. Ando's 3z/3r has a great success rate, but even she missed it in her winning JW LP. Even Hughes used to miss hers just as much as land them.

So.... you, me, MK, her coach, and about half the population of the world agree that MK should reintroduce the 3/3 into competition, but reports of consistant 3/3s from other gals are greatly exagerated IMHO.

nymkfan51

Medalist
So.... you, me, MK, her coach, and about half the population of the world agree that MK should reintroduce the 3/3 into competition, but reports of consistant 3/3s from other gals are greatly exagerated IMHO. [/B]

Exactly BG!!! It drives me crazy when people talk about ALL the ladies doing 3/3's ... it just has not happened. That said, I hope MK goes for it at Worlds!

mzheng

Record Breaker
So.... you, me, MK, her coach, and about half the population of the world agree that MK should reintroduce the 3/3 into competition, but reports of consistant 3/3s from other gals are greatly exagerated IMHO.

ITA. Can't wait for the worlds.

Joesitz, you mentioned in another thread that you'll be at worlds. Don't forget a detail review for us unfortunate buch at home. :p

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd love to see Michelle do her 3r/3r! I have never seen her do that! And World's is 6.0, not COP so 3 combos ARE allowed there.

As to Sasha, I'd like to just see her practice what she's doing.

I worry about Shizuka's coach changes, but think TAT is an interesting choice for her. I wonder whether Tatiana will change anything? Maybe work on facial expression?

And although Onda wil not be at World's (and I will miss her. I like her small stuffed toy look on the ice), I think her going to Callaghan is a good thing. Is she looking to get her 3A finally consistentso as to compete with those amazing Japanese youngsters? I can't picture going to Callaghan for artistic reasons!

I am really looking forward to see how Jenny does at World's. She has made so many positive changes, but I really fear that she will be chacked and we will not get to see her. Is this her first ever Sr. World's? I think it is, but correct me please if I'm wrong.

And I hope to see that Carolina continues ironing out the problems she had at the beginning of the year-she was so much better at Euros than she was at Skate America.

In fact, it seems like forever without any skating on TV.

dpp

Hi Doris. I think Jenny went to 2002 Worlds as an alternate after Sarah Hughes decided not to compete. IIRC Jenny was injured but tried to skate anyway, and withdrew after a disasterous short program. I think she has the stuff for a top ten finish this year.

I think Michelle did try a triple loop/triple loop combination once in competition, at Skate Canada 2001. IIRC she fell and finished third, the first time Sarah beat her.

Mathman

Last edited:

icewings

Rinkside
Mathman said:

I think Michelle did try a triple loop/triple loop combination once in competition, at Skate Canada 2001. IIRC she fell and finished third, the first time Sarah beat her.

Mathman
Michelle tried the lutz/loop at Skate Canada and the 3t/3t--she fell on both and finished third

wvgal57

On the Ice
Elena Sokolova's 3/3's are "not" practice triple/triples only. She landed 2 3/3's at Europeans, landed them in all rounds at last years Worlds and I think she landed one at Russian Nationals. Her 3/3's are the most consistent of any of the top ladies now and if someone looks up the record now I'd say she's getting near the top for most landed in competition. I hear she's working on one more 3/3 at this time too.