Who have been the most successful Olympic figure skating alternates in history? | Golden Skate

Who have been the most successful Olympic figure skating alternates in history?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Who have been the most successful Olympic figure skating alternates in history?

Alternates obviously don't make the Olympic teams of their respective countries at the first time of asking. They only make the team if one of those that did has to pull out for whatever reason. The whole reason for having designated alternates is that if someone on the team does have to withdraw, then there is somebody ready and waiting to take their place.

Although an alternate should theoretically be ready and waiting, it must be extremely difficult to prepare for a competition that its highly unlikely that they will get to compete in. But, there are occasions when skaters do suffer last minute injuries which force them to withdraw.

So, who have been the most successful Olympic alternates in figure skating history? Also, of the alternates currently preparing for the Sochi Olympics, in the event that they are called upon to compete, who would be the most likely to medal if called upon.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh, I haven't the foggiest idea about your first question. (I'm guessing there are a few Soviet dance and pairs teams on the list). Obviously Michelle was ultimately successful, but she wouldn't have been a medal contender back when she was an alternate. And there are other alternates (was Honda one?) who were more successful prior to becoming an alternate.

As for the second part of your question, Sui & Han and Kozuka. It's a crime that neither will be in Sochi. In China's case, its incredibly bad luck that they had two injured teams during last years Worlds. I don't think anyone questions that they have three of the top ten pairs teams in the world. In the case of the Japanese men, its the dilemma of serious depth. Oda & Kovtun will also be missed. There's something sad about knowing a top ten ranking in the Olympic Games isn't even a top ten ranking because some of the best won't be present. On the other hand, at least in figure skating you can qualify enough individuals from a country to fill the podium. In the all-around and event finals in gymnastics, countries are now limited to only two competitors; and more than once, the third highest qualifier in the entire world hasn't even been allowed to compete in the final.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Like most successful competing at the Olympics they are the alternate for? The only alternate that I can think of at the moment who actually got to compete at the Olympics is Emily Hughs. Don't know how many instances there are but I wouldn't assume there would be many. It seems most athletes would want to hang on to their Olympic spot until it's they are absolutely certain they are unable to perform, which ends up with withdrawal rather than the alternate step in.

LRK

Record Breaker
Where can the information of who were official alternates be found?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Do you mean someone like Michelle Kwan who ultimately won a ton of hardware?

No - I mean skaters like Emily Hughes who was 1st alternate going into the 2006 Olympics, and then went on to finish 7th after Kwan withdrew. Examples like that

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow you got me thinking.

Who are the most successful red-headed skaters never to win Skate America?

Who are the skaters with at least 3 cats who have been to at least 3 Olympics?

Who are the skaters who medalled during the sighting of a Comet?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Other than Emily Hughes, I have no idea.

If you were asking about gymnastics, I think Olga Korbut and Mary Lou Retton both were Olympic alternates.

Wow you got me thinking ....

No need to get snarky if a thread is not your cup of tea. :no:
Please do us all a favor and skip over threads that are of no interest to you. Surely we all have enough intelligence and courtesy to do the same. Or am I making an overestimation in your case? :confused2:

Mao88

Record Breaker
Wow you got me thinking.

Who are the most successful red-headed skaters never to win Skate America?

Who are the skaters with at least 3 cats who have been to at least 3 Olympics?

Who are the skaters who medalled during the sighting of a Comet?

1. Peppermint Patty

2. I think I read somewhere that Sonja Henie had a lot of cats

3. Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina & Zaitsez, Pakhomova & Gorshkov (1976 Olympics) - Comet West

ice coverage

Record Breaker
1. Peppermint Patty

2. I think I read somewhere that Sonja Henie had a lot of cats

3. Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina & Zaitsez, Pakhomova & Gorshkov (1976 Olympics) - Comet West

LOL, don't mess with Mao88. ;) :bow: :yay:

But anyone who has clicked even just once on one of your video links should be doubly ashamed of being so rude to you, of all people.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think in terms of this year's Olympics Team Japan and Team USA are in the strongest alternate position with their men. Kozuka is the official alternate for TJ I believe, and Max is the alternate for Team USA, although of course I dearly hope neither will be required.

BlackPack

Medalist
Chill out.

The questions do have legitimate answers, so yeah, if it's not your cup of tea, then ignore it. Follow your own advice.

And Mao88 has a sense of humor. Respect.

Interesting thought, Mao88. I am surprised to realize that the answer might actually turn out to be Emily Hughes. Good for her. I'm not really familiar with who from any other country were alternates for their teams.

I guess the U.S. didn't have an alternate when Tai and Randy had to withdraw in 1980 because they were literally on the ice when it became plain they couldn't skate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Interesting thread!

I predict we will be able to add Maxim Kovtun in a few weeks, after the team event. :laugh:

You wish that you could, but it won't happen. And I doubt that it would be considered "successful".

mskater93

Record Breaker
Tai and Randy couldn't be substituted for sure to the lateness of their withdrawal