Skate Sharpening | Golden Skate

Skate Sharpening

P

proudskatemom

Skate Sharpening

Alexei Yagudin's admission, to Rod Black and Debi Wilkes at the Sears Open, that he hasn't had his skates sharpened in two and a half years amazed me (blew me away is more like it)
Got me to thinking....how often do you get your skates sharpened?

My daughter spends 8 hours a week on ice, has Pattern 99 blades, and gets them sharpened every 3 weeks or so...

L

lilicedancer

Re: Skate Sharpening

I skate about 10-12 hours a week on Phantoms and I get them sharpened every 2-3 weeks.

I

Icestar

sharpening

I really can't see that being true. Went I skated competitively I liked not so sharp skates and used to get them done 2-3 times a year. Top skaters usually have very good control of their edges and edge pressure and therefore don't need that sharp of blades. I used to hate the way edges bite into the ice just after having them sharpened.

J

jamiedavid

Re: sharpening

Alexei hasn't had his skates sharpened for that long, that shocked me, it's amazing! To me that would be like playing with death, especially at the Olympics!! WOW!!!

L

LADSKATER

Re: Skate Sharpening

proudskatemom:

Keeping the blades sharp used to be important when I skated, especially for figures. I don't know if I would wait as long as Alexi to sharpen my blades!! Besides it does not take long to "break" them in again once they are sharpened. A couple of good stroking sessions usually does the trick and then there is the old trick of rubbing them on a piece of wood or rinkside if they are too sharp. I was quite surprised to hear this bit of info myself. I think Debbi Wilkes was too!

Ladskater