Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Prime time schedule

  1. #1
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,455

    Prime time schedule

    Here is a link for those of you who will just be watching prime time....on the left coast it is basically 8pm to 11 pm with some exceptions on the weekend.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings#16
    As I see it, Us rabbit ears folk with slow internet speeds have a few options....I think I will turn my head when the NBC nightly news says to turn my head and not get the results for the day and just watch the prime time coverage. My HDD recorder will allow me to stick my head in the tv room every so often and when they actually put on some skating, I can go back to the start and watch the 20 minutes they will show at a time and meanwhile the recorder will continue to record....if they want to be nice, they will run a trailer that says "short ladies program in 40 minutes" like they have sometimes....
    Chris

  2. #2
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Here is a link for those of you who will just be watching prime time....on the left coast it is basically 8pm to 11 pm with some exceptions on the weekend.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings#16 ...
    Belated thanks for the link to the NBC broadcast schedule page, Chris.

    A little bit of ON-topic news this morning for U.S. viewers is that Shaun White has withdrawn from the slopestyle snowboarding event. (He still will compete later in the Games in halfpipe.)

    On topic, b/c in NBC's promotion of its first night of Olympic coverage on Feb 6 (tomorrow) -- which includes the team Men's and Pairs SPs -- the network always had mentioned White by name as the headliner of the night. Both men's and women's slopestyle snowboarding are on Thursday.

    With White out of the picture tomorrow, I think NBC will be making an even bigger fuss over team skating than it already has.

  3. #3
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    NBC broadcast schedule for today and tomorrow:

    Listings subject to change (all times ET unless otherwise noted).

    FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7 (DAY 0)

    7:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. Opening Ceremony

    1:05 a.m. – 5 a.m. Primetime Encore

    SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 8 (DAY 1)

    2:30 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    - Men’s Ski Jumping – Individual K-95 Competition
    - Men’s Biathlon – 10km Sprint Gold Medal Final
    - Men’s Speed Skating – 5000m Gold Medal Final
    - Women’s Cross-Country – Skiathlon Gold Medal Final

    8 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
    - Figure Skating – Team Event
    • Ice Dancing Short Dance
    • Ladies’ Short Program
    - Men’s Snowboarding – Slopestyle Gold Medal Final
    - Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Moguls Gold Medal Final

    Midnight – 1 a.m.
    - Figure Skating – Team Event
    • Pairs’ Free Skate
    - Men’s Luge – Singles Competition

    1 a.m. – 4:30 a.m.
    - Primetime Encore

    Source:

    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    ....if they want to be nice, they will run a trailer that says "short ladies program in 40 minutes" like they have sometimes....
    Chris
    Chris, in case you missed Thursday night's' NBC coverage:
    I did see such graphics indicating what was coming up and when.

  4. #4
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    NBC broadcast schedule for SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 9 (DAY 2):

    Listings subject to change (all times ET unless otherwise noted).

    2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    - Figure Skating – Team Event Gold Medal Final
    • Men’s Free Skate
    - Women’s Biathlon – 7.5km Sprint Gold Medal Final
    - Women’s Speed Skating – 3000m Gold Medal Final
    - Men’s Cross-Country – Skiathlon Gold Medal Final

    7 p.m. – 11 p.m.
    - Figure Skating – Team Event Gold Medal Final
    • Ladies’ Free Skate
    • Ice Dancing Free Dance
    - Men’s Alpine Skiing – Downhill Gold Medal Final
    - Women’s Snowboarding – Slopestyle Gold Medal Final
    - Men’s Ski Jumping – Individual K-95 Gold Medal Final

    11:35 p.m. – 12:35 a.m.
    - Men’s Luge – Singles Gold Medal Final Runs

    12:35 a.m. – 4:30 a.m.
    - Primetime Encore

    Source:
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...-winter-games/

  5. #5
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    Re NBC's upcoming Sunday night broadcast:

    No surprise, but seems that Bob Costas has taped an interview with one or more Team USA skaters.

    Ashley Wagner posted a reference on Twitter, but the tweet has been deleted. Also deleted is whatever she had posted on Instagram.

    Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
    Hey Bob Costas, you're a pretty cool guy! Incredible to meet this legendary man and talk abouthttp://instagram.com/p/kNfn-iirx3/
    https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/st...30911403048960 (Feb 9)

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    572
    I would recommend if you have a DVR system and you have the NBC sports network - record skating when it comes on in the morning instead of the night block from 6-10. NBC sports is doing it in blocks where it's a block of only figure skating events, you aren't going to be forced to watch ski jumping, curling, etc. sports you don't care about watching.-- Plus no commercials

    And it's the live viewing which to me is more interesting to watch. And it seems to me like the night program of the figure skating is being noise filtered; last night I ended up watching the event on NBC even though I had seen it on NBC sports channel earlier and they took out a lot of the crowd noise when Julia was going onto the ice on the second broadcast.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Re NBC's upcoming Sunday night broadcast:

    [INDENT]No surprise, but seems that Bob Costas has taped an interview with one or more Team USA skaters.

    Ashley Wagner posted a reference on Twitter, but the tweet has been deleted. Also deleted is whatever she had posted on Instagram.
    Not surprising NBC wants to have big ratings during the Olympics and one of the downsides to the Olympics being in Russia is that they are so far ahead of US primetime. I would be willing to bet US athletes that do interviews and such are being asked to be quiet on social media about what happened during the events.

    *The ultimate self-control for me is going to be not looking at the results before I watch the event at night, since most of the individual events are going to happen when I'm at work*

  8. #8
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I would recommend if you have a DVR system and you have the NBC sports network - record skating when it comes on in the morning instead of the night block from 6-10. NBC sports is doing it in blocks where it's a block of only figure skating events, you aren't going to be forced to watch ski jumping, curling, etc. sports you don't care about watching.-- Plus no commercials

    And it's the live viewing which to me is more interesting to watch. And it seems to me like the night program of the figure skating is being noise filtered; last night I ended up watching the event on NBC even though I had seen it on NBC sports channel earlier and they took out a lot of the crowd noise when Julia was going onto the ice on the second broadcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Not surprising NBC wants to have big ratings during the Olympics and one of the downsides to the Olympics being in Russia is that they are so far ahead of US primetime. I would be willing to bet US athletes that do interviews and such are being asked to be quiet on social media about what happened during the events.

    *The ultimate self-control for me is going to be not looking at the results before I watch the event at night, since most of the individual events are going to happen when I'm at work*
    LOL, at least for last night you were one of NBC's "dream" viewers -- who watched the NBC primetime broadcast even though you already had seen live coverage on NBCSN. NBC has said all along that it hopes that those who watch any Olympic sports live either on NBCSN or NBCOlympics.com will watch the primetime broadcast as well. NBC's data from 2012 London have given it confidence that it's a very realistic hope.

    And agree of course that NBC (justifiably, IMO) wants to keep tight control over any content related to what will be in its primetime broadcast. I did not have a chance to see whether Wagner's deleted Instagram was a still photo or a bit of video. Obviously the NBC PR staff frowned upon her (innocent, I'm sure) faux pas, esp. if video were involved.

    I thought the Costas anecdote was worth mentioning, b/c being interviewed by him seems to have become part of the Olympic dream for Team USA hopefuls.
    Or at least NBC would like us to think so -- thus its Twelve Days of Sochi music video of Team USA athletes singing about him.

    Chris and I are among the "rabbit ears" folk in the U.S. -- perhaps other GS members are too. No need for anyone else to pay any attention to this thread, unless they happen to be interested in the NBC telecasts.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    LOL, at least for last night you were one of NBC's "dream" viewers -- who watched the NBC primetime broadcast even though you already had seen live coverage on NBCSN. NBC has said all along that it hopes that those who watch any Olympic sports live either on NBCSN or NBCOlympics.com will watch the primetime broadcast as well. NBC's data from 2012 London have given it confidence that it's a very realistic hope.
    Well I'm glad my broken foot is helping someone I've been on doctor's orders for almost 6 weeks to very limited walking, so my weekends have been a lot of TV and it's seemed this weekend that nobody wanted to put anything interesting on, so I ended up having Olympic coverage on my TV most of the day for background noise (outside of skating, I generally don't watch any other sports)

    They are going to benefit because most people will be working when the live events are going to be on NBCSN.

  10. #10
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    Programming notes for U.S. viewers of the NBC network telecasts (not NBCSN):

    (1) Olympic skating gala (Saturday Feb 22):

    (Yes, yes, I know that NBCSN will have live coverage of the gala. [ETA, at least NBCSN was expected to. ] Again, this information is for the rabbit-ears gang in the U.S. without cable subscriptions.)

    Seems that gala coverage will be included in both the late-night and primetime shows on the NBC broadcast network on Saturday.

    8 p.m. – 11:05 p.m. ET/PT
    ~ Men’s Alpine Skiing – Slalom Gold Medal Final
    ~ Four-Man Bobsled – Competition
    ~ Figure Skating – Gala (with commentary from Gannon, Lipinski, Weir; yes, L/W tweeted about their primetime assignment for the gala)
    ~ Men’s Snowboarding – Parallel Slalom Gold Medal Final
    ~ Men’s Speed Skating – Team Pursuit Gold Medal Final
    ~ Women’s Speed Skating – Team Pursuit Gold Medal Final

    Midnight – 1 a.m. ET/PT
    ~ Figure Skating – Gala

    The midnight show is not to be confused with the NBC encore of its primetime coverage (encore 1 a.m. – 4 a.m. ET/PT).

    Most of the skate order for the gala is visible here (NBC obviously will not show all skaters):

    (2) Mary Carillo's special "Nancy & Tonya" documentary airs Sunday, February 23 at 7 pm ET/PT and 6 pm CT/MT on NBC – immediately prior to the Closing Ceremony.

    The doc features an exclusive sit-down with Nancy Kerrigan and a one-on-one interview with Tonya Harding. More information at this link:
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...g-competition/

    ETA:
    ~ Although the release above says the doc lasts one hour, it occupies a 90-minute slot within the larger NBC schedule for Sunday.
    ~ NBC encore broadcast of its entire primetime broadcast (skating doc + closing ceremony) will air 11:35 p.m. – 3 a.m. ET/PT and 10:35 p.m. – 2 a.m. CT/MT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Well I'm glad my broken foot is helping someone I've been on doctor's orders for almost 6 weeks to very limited walking ...
    Hope that your foot is on the mend, Amei.

  11. #11
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,427
    More regarding the Olympic gala coverage of the NBC broadcast network (not NBCSN):

    (Cross-posting from a gala thread.)

    The latest NBC press release lists some specific skaters -- with the implication (IMO) that those skaters will be shown in the NBC primetime broadcast.

    (Caveat, as previously mentioned in my post above: NBC's primetime broadcast obviously will show other sports as well.)

    SOCHI, Russia – February 22, 2014 – NBC Olympics’ daytime figure skating telecast team of Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Terry Gannon will host coverage of the Sochi Olympic Games figure skating gala tonight at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

    Featuring the world’s best figure skaters, including the top six finishers from both the men’s and ladies’ individual events, as well as the top five couples from the pairs and ice dancing events, the 2014 Sochi Games figure skating gala will air during NBC’s primetime coverage between 8 – 11 p.m. ET. Athletes include: ladies’ gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova (RUS), silver medalist Yuna Kim (KOR), bronze medalist Carolina Kostner (ITA), and Gracie Gold (USA), who finished fourth. Men’s gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN), silver medalist Patrick Chan (CAN), and bronze medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) will also participate. In addition, ice dance gold medalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White (USA) and pairs skating gold medalists Tatyana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov (RUS) will skate.

    Saturday’s gala will begin with the carving of the Olympic rings into the ice to honor Russian figure skating icon Nikolai Panin-Kolomenkin, the country’s first ever Olympic champion, who won the special figures event at the 1908 Olympic Games in London. The figure skating gala is the final figure skating event of the Sochi Games and is the last opportunity to see the world’s best skaters perform in Sochi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •