New book-"The Second Mark" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New book-"The Second Mark"

skater85

Rinkside
Just wondering how you feel that the US system is different then in Canada? From my experience they're the same....

I think this is a fabulous book, and gives you a whole new appreciation for all three couples. They have all overcome so much to attain their goals and we should all be proud of them.

Spirit

On the Ice
I bought this book today and couldn't stop reading it. I'm 80 pages into it, and I've already gotten my money's worth. Now I have to stay up late doing all the things I should have been doing while reading this book. It's great.

heyang

Record Breaker
I bought the book on Friday, but didn't start reading it til Sunday. I'm finding Tamara Moskvina to be quite interesting. Sounds like she's a whirling dervish and it would be quite interesting to observe her in action for a day - if one can keep up.

Will probably finish by the end of the week - too many things to do this week (finish painting, put everything back, prep for attending baby shower on Saturday, attend DaVinci Code panel discussion at Barnes & Noble, watch Survivor & Apprentice - oh, and check in on Golden Skate) TOo bad I have to go to work, too.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Just had to go OT to say--Koroleva, those are stunning outfits they're wearing, particularly Lena's, in that pic--what program was that from?

I have nothing but the utmost regard for both skaters and agree with you in that they're one of the greatest pairs ever, truly a joy to watch (for me it's a tossup between B&S and M&D--I still have to watch extensive tapes of G&G)

Thanks for the pic!

I'm going to go get the book now; love skating books!

Sarah

Koroleva

On the Ice
sarahmistral said:
Just had to go OT to say--Koroleva, those are stunning outfits they're wearing, particularly Lena's, in that pic--what program was that from?

I have nothing but the utmost regard for both skaters and agree with you in that they're one of the greatest pairs ever, truly a joy to watch (for me it's a tossup between B&S and M&D--I still have to watch extensive tapes of G&G)

Thanks for the pic!

I'm going to go get the book now; love skating books!

Sarah

It's from a recent Stars On Ice show, the program is Kalinka. :)

Glad to see someone agree. :D

bleuchick

On the Ice
is me or did anyone else feels like most of the information in this book was taken from media sources rather the skaters. As I turn the page I keep thinking...didn't I read about that somewhere else.... :\

skater85

Rinkside
I felt that way about some of it, but I think the majority of it was taken from one on one interviews.

N

nthuz

Ladskater said:
The great Barbara Ann Scott once said she started to hate figure skating, but it was not really skating she hated, but competing. It was her mother her pushed her. I think when most skaters make this statement "I hate skating" they are talking mainly about competing. One can see the joy they exude when they skate. The competitive life is a grind.

Do you think the skater "hates" the act of competing, or the preparation for it?

I know skaters who dislike the prep for competition but feel their love for skating shine through when on the ice in front of crowd and judge.

Of course I have had the displeasure of being a little too close to the vomitting competitor.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think that it's like all our jobs.

They probably love the actual skating, but are totally fed up with cheating judges, fickle friends, back stabbing "skating moms", politically motivated federations, "honest" TV commentators, sensationalist media, obsessive fans, i.e all of the bs that comes with life.

If you think about it, the fact that future income and success is decided by a small panel of biased volunteers who have done a few weekend seminars, it's pretty scandalous.

dmr65

On the Ice
bleuchick said:
is me or did anyone else feels like most of the information in this book was taken from media sources rather the skaters. As I turn the page I keep thinking...didn't I read about that somewhere else.... :\

Ah! Someone else noticed that to.. Yes. This is what I said on my forum last month when I bought the book.. I said she meant well, but as I read on a lot of it was too much cut and paste.. :\ I recall that article, or that was in a fluff piece CBS, or Lifetime 2001 or what have you... My other friend in Italy, she read the book last week and noticed the samething.

Well, I'm pretty much sure to some fans her information is new, if they are not long t ime fans subject to fluffs, article in the past or maybe they are just periodic fans.

Last edited:

bleuchick

On the Ice
dmr65 said:
Ah! Someone else noticed that to.. Yes. This is what I said on my forum last month when I bought the book.. I said she meant well, but as I read on a lot of it was too much cut and paste.. :\ I recall that article, or that was in a fluff piece CBS, or Lifetime 2001 or what have you... My other friend in Italy, she read the book last week and noticed the samething.

Well, I'm pretty much sure to some fans her information is new, if they are not long t ime fans subject to fluffs, article in the past or maybe they are just periodic fans.

if we both noticed this then we are officially DIEHARD fans :laugh: :laugh: