Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marina Zoueva Must Have Mixed Feelings

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Bayonne, Thank you for posting! I hope some reporters will ask those questions.

Custom Title
    THat would be interesting. She is Canadian and coached a Canada team to gold and then they go to sochi and her United States team will probably beat her Canadian team. Any feelings in that respect. Like the nationality of the teams is irrelevent?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyonne View Post
    I wonder about her mixed feelings for her two teams. Does she have a preference? Is she happy with being the coach of the top two teams in any order or does she want to be known as the woman who coached two different teams to Olympic gold?
    I think her resume looks better with two different gold medallists. I think she loves them both as children and I think a mother would be happiest if both children had a turn at winning gold. So I think at least subconsciously she has a preference.

BTW...Marina has Canadian citizenship but I don't why she would identify as a Canadian more than Russian or even American. She lived in Canada as long as she lived in the US. In fact I think her time in the US has now surpassed her time living in Canada. Her home and her family are in America. But I think if you asked Marina and she answered honestly she would say she is Russian first. You don't immigrate as an adult to another country with a 7yr old child and just forget all that. It's in your blood. I think she would have a fondness for Canada giving her citizenship and a chance at a new life but I don't know how Canadian an adult immigrant who spent about 10 years in the country can be. At her age it's just a chapter in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    BTW...Marina has Canadian citizenship but I don't why she would identify as a Canadian more than Russian or even American. She lived in Canada as long as she lived in the US. In fact I think her time in the US has now surpassed her time living in Canada. Her home and her family are in America. But I think if you asked Marina and she answered honestly she would say she is Russian first. You don't immigrate as an adult to another country with a 7yr old child and just forget all that. It's in your blood. I think she would have a fondness for Canada giving her citizenship and a chance at a new life but I don't know how Canadian an adult immigrant who spent about 10 years in the country can be. At her age it's just a chapter in her life.
    CAS, it depends on what you mean by "being" Canadian/ Russian/ American. My grandparents emigrated in their 60s. Culturally, of course they are 90% "Russian". However, they are, deeply truly and sincerely, very proud of being American. They vote in every election, bet it local, state, or federal. They tend to root for America in Olympics. Being culturally Russian does not mean they are not deeply and truly Americans. (and no, of course I don't think that all immigrants are the same way; for many immigration is purely economic, I'm just pointing out that one does not preclude the other).

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I think her resume looks better with two different gold medallists. I think she loves them both as children and I think a mother would be happiest if both children had a turn at winning gold. So I think at least subconsciously she has a preference.

And that's why I wish one of D/W or V/M had went with Igor or someone else. Someone who would give them their full attention and really focus on them being number 1. Someone 100% on their side.

I truly don't get V/M's packing in the free this year.

It's win, win, win for Zoueva. No matter what happens her teams have dominated ice dance for two full Olympic cycles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyonne View Post
    I wonder about her mixed feelings for her two teams. Does she have a preference? Is she happy with being the coach of the top two teams in any order or does she want to be known as the woman who coached two different teams to Olympic gold?
    i don't think she consciously favors one team or the other, but whether she wants to admit it or not, she was obviously playing out some unfinished gordeeva/grinkov emotions in 2010 with v/m's mahler. how was a done to death routine to the phantom of the opera supposed to compare to that?

Maybe marlie wanted to skate to POTO? I don't know how they choose music at that level or with marina/Igor. I never knew he sued her and their rink. Chock and Bates were wonderful at nationals. I assume the top 2 teams will retire and I think Cand B are the best to be left, and Shibs of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Maybe marlie wanted to skate to POTO? I don't know how they choose music at that level or with marina/Igor. I never knew he sued her and their rink. Chock and Bates were wonderful at nationals. I assume the top 2 teams will retire and I think Cand B are the best to be left, and Shibs of course.
    but i mean, poto is such an uninspired, blah choice though. marina's always talked about waiting twenty years for the right team and the right time to come along to skate to mahler and i'm not saying she sabotaged the other team or anything, but she had such a personal, emotional attachment to that program, it's hard to see how anything else she choreographed could compare

having said that, i get the feeling this quad that she thinks v/m have had their shot though and it's d/w's turn now

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It's win, win, win for Zoueva. No matter what happens her teams have dominated ice dance for two full Olympic cycles.
    Its not a win/win for the skaters. The fact that their coach may actually feel that "its no longer their turn" isn't good for V/M. They need a coach who is 100% committed to them winning.

However for whatever reason they picked that situation.

Rinkside
    Is there a link to an article on this somewhere? I heard things happened, but don't know what supposedly went down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    but i mean, poto is such an uninspired, blah choice though. marina's always talked about waiting twenty years for the right team and the right time to come along to skate to mahler and i'm not saying she sabotaged the other team or anything, but she had such a personal, emotional attachment to that program, it's hard to see how anything else she choreographed could compare

having said that, i get the feeling this quad that she thinks v/m have had their shot though and it's d/w's turn now
    Actually, that's a matter of your opinion. I found V/M's program in 2010 to be the dull, uninspiring, blah choice and POTO the better of the two programs. And I know a lot of people who believe that D/W should have won. I think it depends a lot on what style a person prefers. You obviously prefer the 'looking pretty' programs, whereas I prefer 'let's have some action' type of program. I do think both programs suited very well to the teams' style. I don't think V/M would have pulled off the POTO as good as D/W did, but on the other hand I don't think D/W would have pulled off V/M's program.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2