Eurosport not covering the olympics! | Golden Skate

Eurosport not covering the olympics!

daphna

On the Ice
I just found out, and it makes me sick. How stupid can they be not covering the biggest event of the year??? This is horrible for all sports fns.
:mad::mad::mad:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I know !.
It's really weird that they are not showing it when they have been hyping it for months.
The IOC have really dropped the ball on this one.
It's a matter of time before the Olympics will be subscription only.
Money, money, money.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I watch skaters on YouTube I always look for the EuroSport version. They know when to shut up. Hopefully at least NBC Universal Sports will continue to archive the performances, in HD, without commentary.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just found out, and it makes me sick. How stupid can they be not covering the biggest event of the year??? This is horrible for all sports fns.
:mad::mad::mad:
Blame the IOC, they're the ones who sold the broadcast rights to a sports marketing agency (Sportfive) instead of the EBU, all the way back in 2009. Sportfive is trying to maximize profits so they deal with each country individually.

daphna

On the Ice
this is so filthy. i thought olympics broadcast were all about bringing the olympics to everyone. guess i was wrong.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'd heard of this before, so I'm no longer shocked. I remain disgusted, however.

"Road to Sochi" - but then you stop short of actually getting to Sochi? Ridiculous.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
NOoooo!
I love that British guy who messes up yuzuru's name
He' also so enthusiastic

lavender

Record Breaker
Sooo disappointing. I'm in the U.S. but I always look for the the eurosport version on youtube.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOoooo!
I love that British guy who messes up yuzuru's name
He' also so enthusiastic
They can never tell the Russians apart either and you are right, they are so enthusiastic. It's always fun to watch your skater do well and be praised for it. Then you can log into golden skate to see all the bad things you missed while you were busy enjoying it. :slink:

Trewyn

Medalist
Whaat???? Why? How? Which channels are we supposed to watch then??? This is so weird! They had thorough coverage for the Vancouver Olympics! What a nasty bomb to drop :(

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Eurosport commentators set the atmoshphere for the Ice Dance Battle between tessa and scott and meryl and charlie but it seems that we will never see the anticipated ending to that atmosphere.

Next time europort show us the worlds, tessa and scott will be retired as well as Others! How weird is that?

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Which channels are we supposed to watch then??? :(

As far as I know sportschau.de will offer streams (hopefully no geo-blocking, like for the Europeans). There will be some Russian streams, too. BUT no ESP :slink: I will miss their enthusiasm. I can't understand the IOC. But who can? The Olympics should be about sports not (just) money.

Trewyn

Medalist
Truly shocked. Better buy that new laptop I've been meaning to buy for ages now instead of in a month or so. And maybe get an hdmi cable so I can at least watch it on a full-size screen :mad:
I guess BBC will be showing some but no guarantee that the coverage will be complete - it'd be terrible to only be able to watch the WUG Jenna McCorkell is in :p (I remember Belgian tv didn't bother showing the 2010 Ladies LP because Isabelle Pieman hadn't been able to qualify for it)