More books: the Cranston trilogy | Golden Skate

More books: the Cranston trilogy

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm almost done reading Toller's 3 books.

On the surface they are what you'd expect: amusing anecdotes from an insider's perspective.

Underneath this impish veneer however, runs an undercurrent of sadness, which I think stays with one after the books are finished.

It's too bad that he lets this bitterness color his perspective. I can't help but think, for example, that if he had won a world or Oly title and Peggy had not, would he still feel the need to call her lazy?

Saddest of all for me, was his unsuccessful personal life. No significant other, barely speaking with family, long time friendships broken over triffles, etc...it's a shame really.

One lies in the bed one makes. But one can get up and remake the bed. Hopefully, these books will start him onto a new life of happiness.

Joe

frozetoez

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
One lies in the bed one makes. But one can get up and remake the bed. Hopefully, these books will start him onto a new life of happiness. Joe

ITA. He alienates people with his arrogance and his tactlessness. I'm afraid I don't feel the least bit sorry for him, and I certainly don't understand why people give his opinions so much attention. I'm sure that the skaters he disses don't give a rat's ass what he thinks. :sheesh:

Antilles

Medalist
I think his opinions get attention because they can be really out there. That makes them entertaining, and new perspective can be insightful. He does seem to really rub people the wrong way though.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well folks, Toller is Toller. We love him here in Canada for just being Toller. He is an original and really brought some inspiration to men's skating and attention and as well was not afraid to point out the "back room" deals that were going on with the judges.

Toller calls a spade a spade and does not pull any punches. He never looked for approval from anyone nor was he afraid to express his opinion.

He is a temperamental artist both on and off the ice. I think his legacy speaks for itself. Toller's style inspired many of Today's male skaters.

Toller has a love/hate relationship with the skating world, but a genuine love and passion for figure skating.

Toller "does not suffer fools gladly" as the saying goes.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Toller "does not suffer fools gladly" as the saying goes.

I don't know about that. He put up with Christopher Bowman for a while.

Seriously, what was his reason for calling Peggy lazy? I haven't read any of his books.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
1. She let her tech content slip as a pro, not doing the difficult jumps that she did as an eligable
2. They did a show together and she never practiced once

It's a little :eek: that he has so many errors in some of the books as well. Aren't they fact checked?

Anyways, during his tirade on why Peggy didn't deserver her Oly gold, he said she fell on her 2Lutz. In truth, she 2footed it. She fell during 68 worlds, not Olys.

He also gushed about Dorothy Hamil winning gold in a green dress. One doesn't have to research very hard to find that Dorothy's dress was pink. Kinda puts the whole "I remember it as if it were yesterday" aspect in perspective.

I didn't read the book so I can not be certain what he actually wrote. But from what the original poster surmised is that he is apparently lonely.

I took that for the gist of his book. No family, no friends. that's sad.

His speaking out is just his opinions = one can agree or disagree with him.

Joe

Ladskater

Record Breaker
SusanBeth:

I don't know about that. He put up with Christopher Bowman for a while.

But not for long! Even Toller humbly admitted he was not really cut out for coaching. He did however, give Lu Chen the perfect program which helped her win the Worlds!

Kasey

Medalist
I only read the one, 'Ice Cream', and not all of it yet. I really liked how kindly and respectfully he spoke of Joe Sabovcik, one of my fave skaters.

kasey

SusanBeth

Final Flight
He did however, give Lu Chen the perfect program which helped her win the Worlds!

True- ''The Last Emperor'' is one of my favorites. I like how he seemed to have built the program around the arm movements without overdoing it. The guy's a genius.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
SusanBeth:

Yes, I agree. Too bad Toller did not work more with other skaters and strictly do their choreography and design their costumes. He really knows what to do with music and expression. I know he also worked briefly with Karen Kadavey. I think Toller was brilliant and a "skaters skater."

76olympics

On the Ice
Toller's books

The books are interesting to me-but I do agree that there is an underlying sadness to them. Toller really seems to feel the lack of a strong family background and family ties-but he has a way with words and is not afraid of very defined and sometimes even contradictory opinions.

I have always liked Dorothy Hamill-probably somewhat a nostalgic recollection of enjoying her so much when I was a very young teenager. It was strange to hear Toller's very astringent opinons about her-" carried away by fame-living in a fame bubble-not challenging herself enough." He even speculated that the failure of her first marriage may have been her own lack of understanding from just one comment she made to him! I thought he was a little hard on her-particularly since she made a point of mentioning how much she admired "Il Pagilacci (sp!)" in her autobiography.

So-I have mixed emotions about him. I think his judgements are always colorful and sometimes right-but I don't always buy into everything he says. BTW-I have corresponded briefly with his co-author when I bought two of his books and she was very nice. She seemed to a real enthusiast and fond of Toller in a sensible way.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Exactly!

It's not that he really said anything so awful about Dorothy, I think he obviously likes her, or that what he did say was incorrect. It's just obvious to me that his bitterness at not being a famous Oly champ has colored his view of Dorothy. I'm not sure he's really seeing her, but just his idea of the world a generic Oly champ is supposidly handed on a platter.