American Idol March 9/10 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol March 9/10

All I can say is I'm disappointed Suzy did not make it....I have no idea who I want to win this one....still waiting for someone to give a performance that makes me stop and say "whoa, listen to that!"

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My biggest surprise was hearing Ruben sing his hit song.....not to my liking at all. I still can't see how he won over Clay or Kimberly..............oh well............as to this year's, totally happy that George and Jon made the final cut............can't figure out why Leah keeps getting picked................42

guinevere

Final Flight
I also disliked Ruben's song, although his voice sounded much better than it did during AI2 (no rasping). It felt wrong to hear a song sung on the AI stage that relied so heavily on backing vocals!

To be fair to Ruben, though, I think almost all of the songs that AI grads are given are very generic, meh-sounding songs crafted to reach their target audience, rather than to make an artistic statement of any kind. I like "Invincible" all right, but it sounds like a pop song from about 10 years ago (that's probably why I like it, lol), but the only AI song I've thought was a good, comtemporary single is "Miss Independent". Don't even get me started on the terrible double A-side single that the final 4 of AI1 had to record - YIKES!!

Has anyone heard K. Lo's song/album?

guinevere

mike79

On the Ice
I've heard Kim's single but I didn't like it much, although I know quite a few people who do like it.

Some of the post-AI music has been pretty good. There are some songs on Kelly Clarkson's album that are very good. I like Ruben's single and a couple songs from his album. I think Clay's album is overproduced bubblegum pop that appeals to a select crowd--although that crowd is rather large.

Overall Kelly's album is the best of the three. You never know though--Justin Guarini's may be spectacular...................Probably not. :D

Tamyra really needs to release her album. I can picture it being amazing.

guinevere

Final Flight
I'm a little scared of Tamyra's album. I'm afraid she's going to be turned into a cookie cutter pop/r&b singer, where she does nothing but useless runs all the time. If her album lets her showcase her unique talent, however, it should be amazing.

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
guinevere said:
I also disliked Ruben's song, although his voice sounded much better than it did during AI2 (no rasping). It felt wrong to hear a song sung on the AI stage that relied so heavily on backing vocals!

To be fair to Ruben, though, I think almost all of the songs that AI grads are given are very generic, meh-sounding songs crafted to reach their target audience, rather than to make an artistic statement of any kind. I like "Invincible" all right, but it sounds like a pop song from about 10 years ago (that's probably why I like it, lol), but the only AI song I've thought was a good, comtemporary single is "Miss Independent". Don't even get me started on the terrible double A-side single that the final 4 of AI1 had to record - YIKES!!

Has anyone heard K. Lo's song/album?

guinevere

I disagree... while there are some songs that are meh on each album, it's no different than anyone elses...

Clay's is very much his, Kelly's is very much hers they're not "generic" at all... Kelly helped write hers, and Clay made the final decisions on what he would sing, how he would sing them, and what he would and wouldn't say. his title track "Measure of a Man" is almost his Christian statement on the album, and aside from "touch" and "invisible" his album sounds no different than a Christian love song album... which hey he's hitting both sides of the singing spectrum

Kelly's CD is also very much her.

I own both and listen to them over and over

I haven't heard Ruben's as the lyrics enough were a turn off. He is a competely different person/singer than he wasn on American Idol and he's not what I voted for early on... so glad I chose Clay over him!

I've heard Kim's single but I didn't like it much, although I know quite a few people who do like it.
I haven't heard it... don't think I'd like it though anyway... but Dad loved it... his a big K-Lo fan...

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
So glad about Jennifer Hudson--she is just terrific. Mr. RG said something so wonderful after she sang, and I'd like to share it with you. He said, "I look for the angel in people's voices, and she has it."

Also glad about George. That is one happy go-lucky dude! Unlike Amy's forced kookiness (as someone mentioned above), with George, what you see is what he really is. You can just sense it.

I just knew that Paula would champion Leah. What a waste of a vote. That girl could not have been more off-key--it was just horrible. Plus, the song she chose did not sit well in her voice--too low.

I absolutely LOATHE JPL--no kidding. The voice is not half bad, although it's nothing spectacular. I can't stand to look at him. He looked ridiculous singing that Elvis song. But the thing he needs most of all--and I say this with all my voice teaching experience behind me--is a BOTTLE OF SHAMPOO. :eek: :D Seriously, man, greasy hair is so PASSE!