Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Idol March 9/10

I thought JPL was awesomely funny and he has the spark that everyone else lacked

I think Jennifer's dress was cute, just not for her. And I think she'll make it in just because she's Clay Aikens favorite and his rabid fanatics are going to vote for her just for that reason(CLAY THAT WAS DUMB, lol)

I really liked Elizabeth in the group numbers audition thingie... I really think the three girls should get a recording contract as a group they were really good!

I loved Katie's Orange Colored Sky but last night sucked for her... I actually liked her skirt... it just wasn't flattering on her

Matt is cute... and I think his voice has potential... I think he just(like he said) needs to work on his confidance and he'll be stellar... he may make it in just because he's friends with clay and Clay's fans go nutz for Clay's favorites!

Suzy was great, but not stellar either IMO
    George is a dork LOL he's this years Clay and will make it through
    Leah - I'm with Simon she is not overly talented and she sings flat.

I was very disappointed in last night's show & didn't vote for anyone. I tho't Suzy & Jennifer were the best & George was good too but I'll save my votes for young John Stevens.

yup John Stevens for American Idol 3!!!

Custom Title
    Well it's great to see George and Jennifer make the top 12. I like Leah but I think she'll be booted in the first couple of weeks. I'm a little surprised that JPL made it in but as the judges said--he took a risk and it paid off. I hope he does well.

I think we'll see the top 12 go something like this:

12. Matt
    11. Leah
    10. Camille
    9. Jennifer
    8. Amy
    7. George
    6. John Stevens
    5. Latoya
    4. JPL
    3. Fantasia
    2. Diana
    1. Jasmine

I'm so bummed that Leah made it in instead of Suzy!!! Wah!:(

I think this season's competition will involve a lot more fan favorite politiking than the last 2 editions. We've had such a long time to see most of these people, as FOX has dragged out umpteen audition episodes, that people have already become really attached to certain contestants, which will override what actually happens on the stage.

Having fewer men will actually make the men stick around longer, as they each have very distinct personalities, while the women are less distinct (with the exception of Amy, but I think her forced kookyness will work against her)

Here's my prediction on the order:

12. Leah
    11. Jasmine
    10. Jennifer
    9. Fantaysia
    8. Amy
    7. Matt
    6. George (should make at least top 4, sniff)
    5. Diana
    4. LaToya (I wish she'd win)
    3. Camille
    2. John Stevens
    1. Jon Peter Lewis

guinevere

All I can say is I'm disappointed Suzy did not make it....I have no idea who I want to win this one....still waiting for someone to give a performance that makes me stop and say "whoa, listen to that!"

My biggest surprise was hearing Ruben sing his hit song.....not to my liking at all. I still can't see how he won over Clay or Kimberly..............oh well............as to this year's, totally happy that George and Jon made the final cut............can't figure out why Leah keeps getting picked................42

I also disliked Ruben's song, although his voice sounded much better than it did during AI2 (no rasping). It felt wrong to hear a song sung on the AI stage that relied so heavily on backing vocals!

To be fair to Ruben, though, I think almost all of the songs that AI grads are given are very generic, meh-sounding songs crafted to reach their target audience, rather than to make an artistic statement of any kind. I like "Invincible" all right, but it sounds like a pop song from about 10 years ago (that's probably why I like it, lol), but the only AI song I've thought was a good, comtemporary single is "Miss Independent". Don't even get me started on the terrible double A-side single that the final 4 of AI1 had to record - YIKES!!

Has anyone heard K. Lo's song/album?

guinevere

Custom Title
    I've heard Kim's single but I didn't like it much, although I know quite a few people who do like it.

Some of the post-AI music has been pretty good. There are some songs on Kelly Clarkson's album that are very good. I like Ruben's single and a couple songs from his album. I think Clay's album is overproduced bubblegum pop that appeals to a select crowd--although that crowd is rather large.

Overall Kelly's album is the best of the three. You never know though--Justin Guarini's may be spectacular...................Probably not. :D

Tamyra really needs to release her album. I can picture it being amazing.

I'm a little scared of Tamyra's album. I'm afraid she's going to be turned into a cookie cutter pop/r&b singer, where she does nothing but useless runs all the time. If her album lets her showcase her unique talent, however, it should be amazing.

guinevere

Originally posted by guinevere
    I also disliked Ruben's song, although his voice sounded much better than it did during AI2 (no rasping). It felt wrong to hear a song sung on the AI stage that relied so heavily on backing vocals!

To be fair to Ruben, though, I think almost all of the songs that AI grads are given are very generic, meh-sounding songs crafted to reach their target audience, rather than to make an artistic statement of any kind. I like "Invincible" all right, but it sounds like a pop song from about 10 years ago (that's probably why I like it, lol), but the only AI song I've thought was a good, comtemporary single is "Miss Independent". Don't even get me started on the terrible double A-side single that the final 4 of AI1 had to record - YIKES!!

Has anyone heard K. Lo's song/album?

guinevere
    I disagree... while there are some songs that are meh on each album, it's no different than anyone elses...

Clay's is very much his, Kelly's is very much hers they're not "generic" at all... Kelly helped write hers, and Clay made the final decisions on what he would sing, how he would sing them, and what he would and wouldn't say. his title track "Measure of a Man" is almost his Christian statement on the album, and aside from "touch" and "invisible" his album sounds no different than a Christian love song album... which hey he's hitting both sides of the singing spectrum

Kelly's CD is also very much her.

I own both and listen to them over and over

I haven't heard Ruben's as the lyrics enough were a turn off. He is a competely different person/singer than he wasn on American Idol and he's not what I voted for early on... so glad I chose Clay over him!

I've heard Kim's single but I didn't like it much, although I know quite a few people who do like it.
    I haven't heard it... don't think I'd like it though anyway... but Dad loved it... his a big K-Lo fan...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 03-12-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Exclamation

So glad about Jennifer Hudson--she is just terrific. Mr. RG said something so wonderful after she sang, and I'd like to share it with you. He said, "I look for the angel in people's voices, and she has it."

Also glad about George. That is one happy go-lucky dude! Unlike Amy's forced kookiness (as someone mentioned above), with George, what you see is what he really is. You can just sense it.

I just knew that Paula would champion Leah. What a waste of a vote. That girl could not have been more off-key--it was just horrible. Plus, the song she chose did not sit well in her voice--too low.

I absolutely LOATHE JPL--no kidding. The voice is not half bad, although it's nothing spectacular. I can't stand to look at him. He looked ridiculous singing that Elvis song. But the thing he needs most of all--and I say this with all my voice teaching experience behind me--is a BOTTLE OF SHAMPOO. :D Seriously, man, greasy hair is so PASSE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2