Who will represent Canada at the Team Event ? | Golden Skate

Who will represent Canada at the Team Event ?

sbstien

Rinkside
Who will represent Canada ? Only two changes are allowed after the Short Program/Dance.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Assuming MTM because a little bird told me they were in Russia as of yesterday ;)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I still don't really understand the 'team event'. Does one skater/pair do SP and one LP? Does dance do a CP, SD, FD? I would have preferred an isolated elements comp per discipline.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I still don't really understand the 'team event'. Does one skater/pair do SP and one LP? Does dance do a CP, SD, FD? I would have preferred an isolated elements comp per discipline.

The ISU page for the Sochi Olympics has links to several documents pertaining to the team event. In particular, the "Qualification Systems" document explains the structure of the team event and its basic rules.

Also informative are the many GS threads devoted to discussion of the team event and its format.

Quick answer to your dance question:
For the team event, dancers compete in the SD and FD. No need for them to learn a separate CD just for the team event.

And regarding your other question, the OP of this thread has the answer: only in a maximum of two disciplines is each country allowed to make substitutions btwn SP/SD and FS/FD.
Other than those allotted substitutions, the same skater/pair/couple competes in both programs.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Well, in all events except pairs, Canada has one skater that's clearly capable of the better scores than the others. Maybe pairs will be the only one they split. I'd have M-T&M doing the short, D&R doing the long, and just assign the top-ranked skaters to everything else.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Well, in all events except pairs, Canada has one skater that's clearly capable of the better scores than the others. Maybe pairs will be the only one they split. I'd have M-T&M doing the short, D&R doing the long, and just assign the top-ranked skaters to everything else.

There's not that much of a difference between Osmond and Daleman, although there's more than in pairs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would say Rachmaninoff would be the best team. I have to to ally disagree with blue idealist. In Canada Daleman might get some recongintion but I think her pcs will be down from nationals by a lot and it is a huge difference wining a silver at home versus on the world stage. Osmond doesn't have much experience either but far more than Daleman and is far more polished and her jumps more mature though maybe not as had. Osmond has greater quality overall too in jumps, sppins, polish and choreography. Going iwith Daleman may not be a hug e risk in the logn as the worst she can be is fifth. But it could cost Canada medal position or two. japan has a shot at a medal mainly because there are only 5 placements in the long program so in dance and paris there is only so bad they can be.

sk8hrd

Rinkside
Does it matter who Canada puts in the FS for the Team in the Ladies event? Osmond is not going to beat anyone in the finals either. Yes she will beat the weaker countries such as Germany and GBR but she will not beat the Russians, Americans, Japanese, Chinese or Italian ladies so Canada might as well let Daleman compete and get used to competing as well in front of the Olympic crowd. SC already made it hard on her by keeping her Junior this past season instead of letting her skate Senior.

gottadance

On the Ice
I am curious about the decision making process each country has gone or is going through with regard to selection of skaters for the Team event. Are the skaters consulted ? and if so are their wishes upheld? Can a skater refuse to skate for the Team if they feel it will negatively affect their chances for an individual medal ? What if 2 skaters both want the Short ( for example ) . I should imagine this isn't easy for some of the skating federations?
Would love if those " in the know" could share with us , how this is playing out with the different eligible countrys.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am curious about the decision making process each country has gone or is going through with regard to selection of skaters for the Team event. Are the skaters consulted ? and if so are their wishes upheld? Can a skater refuse to skate for the Team if they feel it will negatively affect their chances for an individual medal ? What if 2 skaters both want the Short ( for example ) . I should imagine this isn't easy for some of the skating federations?
Would love if those " in the know" could share with us , how this is playing out with the different eligible countrys.

Have you tried reading some of the other threads pertaining to the team event (and/or to the Olympics in general)?
For example, they have discussed the USFS situation extensively -- a lot of speculation, but some basic hard information is known. Discussion of Skate Canada's situation has taken place in multiple threads other than this one. Etc., etc.

hohoho

On the Ice
From what is posted on other treads, Canada, Russia, US are the frontrunners. The last two teams to qualify for the LP will be between Japan, China, and Italy. So Russia has Sotnikova and Lipnitskia. Osmond has never lost to Sotnikova in Senior beating her at Nebelhorn and Worlds. She has never placed ahead of Lipnitskia. The US has Gold and Wagner. Osmond has placed ahead of Gold and Wagner at Worlds in the SP and ahead of Gold at 2012 SC. For Japan, Asada and Suzuki. Osmond placed ahead of Asada and Worlds in the SP and has finished ahead of Suzuki twice. China has Li. Osmond placed ahead of Li at Worlds in the SP. And finally Italy. Osmond only skated against Kostner one and placed behind her but very close in the SP at Worlds. So if the final group in the Team event happens to be Wagner, Osmond, Sotnikova, Suzuki, and Kostner, she has a good chance of second or third. This could be the difference in placing last with Daleman who only has senior international experience is WTT last year where she placed last. As Skater Boy mentioned, Osmond is a better skater than Daleman all around hence the 25 pt difference at Nationals, and that is without the higher point jumping passes. So it does matter who Canada uses in the ladies. Similar to Mens between Patrick and Kevin.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Does it matter who Canada puts in the FS for the Team in the Ladies event? Osmond is not going to beat anyone in the finals either. Yes she will beat the weaker countries such as Germany and GBR but she will not beat the Russians, Americans, Japanese, Chinese or Italian ladies so Canada might as well let Daleman compete and get used to competing as well in front of the Olympic crowd. SC already made it hard on her by keeping her Junior this past season instead of letting her skate Senior.

Osmond has beaten Akiko Suzuki, Gracie Gold and Adelina Sotnikova in competition before, so we certainly aren't justified in assuming she simply won't beat a top American, Russian or Japanese skater no matter what. Maybe not if they go out and nail everything, but who says that's guaranteed to happen? Zijun Li, assuming she's skating for China, hasn't had a great season, and I think she has roughly the same scoring potential as Osmond; she's hardly guaranteed to beat her either. I don't think Osmond is guaranteed to finish last in the team final at all.