Stars On Ice tonighjt? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice tonighjt?

brenlynn

On the Ice
TV didn't do the fillers justice. those transistion numbers, where very entertaining in person and i think that is one of the things that makes this years show one of the best i have seen in a couple years. the show hasn't been this good since scott's final year.

some of the highlights for me... kyoko & john - god i wish they wouldn't have turned pro, oksana's both numbers, TGIF (the group number in the colorful outfits), sunscreen, rock lesson, elena and anton. but, even more when i see it live!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SOI 2004 on A&E

I enjoyed the broadcast much more than NBC's coverage in January, but I was disappointed that four "core cast" programs were not shown. TPTB at A&E should have shown Todd's "When You Come Back to Me Again," Elena & Anton's "Let Me Fall," Alexei's "Memorial," & Jamie & David's "Ballroom Dancing." I mean no disrespect to Scott (if anything I am very grateful that he founded SOI), & Oksana, but they are guest skaters for this year's tour, yet both of their programs were shown whereas the aforementioned "core cast" programs were not. I think one of each of their programs should have been shown instead of both. I enjoyed the time -related transitions, but would have liked to also have more behind the scenes interviews & other stuff (like in last year's A&E broadcast) as well. Of course, I wish there were fewer, less repetitive ads and a 2 and a half hour broadcast.

Soogar, did you see Todd's performance of "Flamenco" on the Today Show on New Year's Day? He was all smiles. I think he has acclimated quite well to that program since Lake Placid (Thanksgiving Weekend) Remember that this was the debut of the 2004 tour.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yazmeen said:
Darn it, I had stretch class last night, had to hit the hay early as I had synchro at 6:00 AM, and I totally forgot about this. Any chance of a repeat?.
At the AYDG, they said that the show is being televised on Saturday too, you might want to check the A&E website to see if it is on in your area. Here is the site for Alexei's board

AYDG Board

Dee

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I saw the show live and really loved it, but was a little disappointed with the A&E coverage. They could of done without the two programs each of Oksana and Scott(one each would have been enough) and the short transition pieces. I wanted to see and record Jamie and David's "Ballroom" number and Alexei's "Memorial" number.
Am I the only one who was diasappointed by Todd's flamenco number?
You might be the only one. I saw this program live and it was such a departure from Todd's usual stuff that I loved it and the fact that he did a hugh triple axel right in front of me was a bonus:)

soogar

Record Breaker
I didn't see Todd's program on Today, but in the guys' jacket and tie group number he seemed pretty relaxed and comfortable. My boyfriend (not a skating fan) and I both remarked on how uncomfortable he looked skating to the music and he just looked like he wanted to get out of there. Of course I am aware that when they show skating shows on TV, they allow the skaters to do retakes so perhaps he wasn't on with his jumps that day and had to do some retakes? Anyone who went to Lake Placid who can give the scoop?

Todd also strikes me as someone who prefers to stay with the tried and true for his music choices. Though I thought he did a fantastic job when he did the Improv on Ice to "Who Let the Dogs Out" even though I imagine he hated that song LOL.

dizzydi

On the Ice
SOI

dlkksk8fan,

I agree about Todd. I thought his Flamenco program was great. He seemed very into it and not at all uncomfortable. Just goes to show you how differently people see things.

I was unimpressed with Oksana's performance. Perhaps I was expecting too much. She skated well, just not great, in my opinion. I remember Oksana as having good posture which wasn't present in her performances last night. Also, I didn't think her first performance had the snap and dance quality that could have been put into that number for which she is so very capable. Could have been an off night or maybe she was nervous.

Dizzy

eliza88

On the Ice
I too was dissapointed in A&E's coverage--happy to see it nonetheless BUT STILL! The transition numbers are great LIVE, but they had no business wasting valuable air time! Why didn't they show Alexei's other number (which IMO is the superb of the 2!) and why oh why didn't they show S&P's dance parody? Grrrrr. They should not have shown both of Scott's programs (especially the first very over used one...), I love Oksana so I am not going to complain about seeing her two numbers--her first number she looks so happy and skates with such charisma you just cannot take your eyes off of her!

I did like the interviews with Christopher Dean and company. Todd's Flemenco program is superb!

eliza88

soogar

Record Breaker
I feel kind of bad for Oksana b/c I think she is focusing so much on landing jumps that she's losing a lot of her artistry. The Swan program did not look as graceful as it did when she performed it as a teenager. I liked the way she did other programs when she was having trouble with her jumps. I think that Oksana does not need to do triple jumps to have an impact on the audience.

I did enjoy watching her skate though. I think they don't show all the programs to get people to buy tickets to see the show.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One more vote for Todd's Flamenco program. Facially, I thought he was trying to smolder, and perhaps that is what some people are seeing as uncomfortable, since Todd normally does not smolder . I thought it was really great for him to NOT be doing same old same old movie soundtracks. Generic Male Movie Soundtracks have been one of my few reasons to fault Todd in the past, so I was glad to see him stretching himself here.

I liked the guys with brooms number as a group number. It had some great moments of silliness.

I would rather have seen B&S in something other than Kalinka.

It was nice to see Oksana happy, and in her second number she landed her jumps better than in her first. If she keeps on skating regularly, I expect she will only improve again, and am looking forward to that.

dpp

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
While the TV broadcast didn't have the same fire as a live show, I'm thrilled to have what I could get on tape. I think SOI is walking a fine line between showing the public so much that they don't feel they need to attend the show (and spend money!) and showing enough to keep the public interested buying tickets and coming to see the live performances.

I question including both performances of the guest stars but I understand excluding what many people think of as the "better" of the two performances of the regular cast members. What a teaser! After reading everything about the excluded programs that has been said on the internet, not seeing them on TV would prompt me to look into buying a ticket if I didn't already have one.

I do agree that the transition costumes and numbers are a bit odd, but they do play much better in person and once you get over the "shock," you actually start looking forward to what they will come up with next. It's a little like being with Alice in Wonderland and waiting for the White Rabbit to come running by.

I loved last year's show because I love figure skating and love all the skaters in the show, but this year's tour is even better in terms of flow and cohesiveness. The connection between the opening number and the closing number is pure genius!

Nan

soogar

Record Breaker
Alexei smolders.... John Zimmerman smolders.... what Todd was doing was not smoldering..... unless he had gas.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
my $.02 about Todd's program

I first saw his flamenco number in World Team Challenge on TV. I was blown away by it!! He skated it with a lot of passion and fire and it was great to see him in a style I had never seen him do before.

When I went to the SOI show in San Jose in January, I was looking forward to this number. However, I was disappointed. It just seemed dull and flat - he didn't have the same fire. However, I enjoyed his Garth Brooks number a lot - and I was surprised. When I looked at the program and saw what he was skating to, my thought about this number was 'HO HUM'. But again I was surprised.

My conclusion: Maybe it was an off night for Todd for the flamenco number. Maybe he was saving it for the Garth Brooks number. Who knows?!?!? I haven't watched the SOI broadcast, but I've taped it. It will be interesting to watch it and compare it to what I saw.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

wvgal57 said:
Yuka's very first number was the best of the whole show, then Oksana's skating.

I've heard many people talk about Yuka and to be honest I've watched hers some but with not a lot of interest. I have to say that she seems to just rise out of the ice as a total one on one. She is amazing, it's like everything - the arms, the back, her neck her face all were just perfect. I've heard her called the skater's skater but never realized why.

From my point of view, Oksana skates her various routines to the audience, and she does it well.

Yuka, on the other hand, skates her routines in such away that she draws the audience to her.

Both styles are valid and you can prefer one style or the other or enjoy both.:)

Joe

skatepixie

On the Ice
Nadine said:
Ice Princess ( :) ), yep you're right, that's the one-and-only! Btw, my new pic below shows the original Swan, along with her two successors. Can you guess who they are? ;)

Peace & <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Love&v=55">Love</a>, Nadine

"The crowd settled quickly into a receptive mood for Sonja's famous interpretation of the Dying Swan of Saint-Saens. With spotlights giving the ice the effect of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=water&v=55">water</a> at night, Miss Henie, outlined in a blue light, performed the dance made immortal by Pavlova." - Maribel Vinson
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1078852756355_3dyingswans.jpg [/B]

Charlotte is the standing one!

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yazmeen said:

Nadine: I realize you might not know this, but was Oksana's costume based on Sonja's? The similarities are almost eerie. Both are quite lovely.

Thanks for the question, Yazmeen! :)

Unfortunately, I do not know for certain whether or not Sonja was the inspiration for Oksana's "Dying Swan". But intuitively I feel that she was........too many similarities........from the choreography right down to the costume (almost exactly the same; no lie; uncanny).

***Note: off-topic, but I've always felt that Oksana was the reincarnation of Sonja. If so, that may explain the aforementioned similarity. Not only that, but there are way too many unexplained coincidences that I've noticed over the yrs.***

By the way, my biggest regret was not being able to view the Tribute Program to Sonja that Oksana did in the Fall of 2000, which Liz Manley helped to choreograph. :(

skatepixie ( :) ), yes, you are right on! Two thumbs up! http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cheers.gif You just scored an A+ on your history lesson for today. ;)

Peace & Love, Nadine

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1080453639254_0000charlotte.jpg
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1079329261577_olympicchampions.jpg

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Just got back from the show here in Albany.

Todd rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seemed that he had more triples than everybody put together! Never saw anyone's spins so centered! His Garth Brooks number was outstanding! The crowd went nuts! In fact, Kurt was to skate next and the announcer "chased" him off by saying that Todd;s ovation cut into the program and they were behind schedule :D Of course Kurt came back after a group number.

The flamenco was ok. I enjoyed the music, but I think it doesn't suit Todd all that well.

Kurt did the same 2 numbers from the Ice Wars, and was great as usual.

I loved all guys group numbers especially the ones with the ice scrapers! - I am not sure if that was on TV last night.

It was interesting that Elena and Anton wore costumes from their march number (from the Ice wars) when they skated the Groban piece. I was pleased they got rid of the lime and pink outfits but I was looking forward to the march performance! They were great!

OKsana's JLo number was not my favorite to say the least! I would've enjoyed soemthing other than that for sure :)

S&P skated two new programs and did not use either of the Ice wars programs...Too bad, be/c I loved Cryin' and kind of hated the Ballroom one. Trust me, you are not missing much if you get only the TV coverage.

I think Alexi was much better in the group numbers than he was in his individual ones. Got me thinking - maybe he should try pairs??? Just a wish.

anyways, the show was great, especially TODDD!!! Why are we stuck with Weiss??? Why can't he retire and Todd still be eligible??

Yana

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Stars On Ice

Nadine-

Sorry, I wasn't sure who the next two pictures were of! Love them though! I also haven't really seen much of Sonia Honie, so soon I am going to rent & buy some movies of hers! I can't wait!!:love: .......by the way, I wanted to share something else with you-my mom works at a retirement home & a few years ago, I met an older lady there, named Lauretta, who said she skated with Sonia! We would share stories-

brenlynn

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:

OKsana's JLo number was not my favorite to say the least! I would've enjoyed soemthing other than that for sure :)

S&P skated two new programs and did not use either of the Ice wars programs...Too bad, be/c I loved Cryin' and kind of hated the Ballroom one. Trust me, you are not missing much if you get only the TV coverage.

I was also at the show in Albany...

I don't like JLo, but I feel that Oksana's skating brings a different feel to this song. It's a very cute number, and I think the lyrics sort of tell the story of her past few years and her love with Gene. I definetly cringed when I saw at the start of the season she would be skating to "Ain't it Funny", but I highly enjoyed it! But, then again I am extremely partial to anything Oksana does. If she skated to ducks quacking I would like it I'm sure :laugh:

I thought Ballroom was one of the most entertaining pieces of the night, aside from the group numbers. Jamie and David are quite the actors out on the ice.

But, I suppose that your opinion vs mine! Just thought I'd voice mine as well :D

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Hi Brenda,

I did not like S&P Ballroom number b/c I think it was really vulgar - all the toilet references! But once you take them away, it was funny. But you know what they say about the first impression???

Nadine,

Isn't the lady in the flapper pose Charlotte Oelschlagel? I don't think it's Sonja.

Yana