Eye lash curlers | Golden Skate

Eye lash curlers

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
This is for all the ladies out there. I am thinking about getting an eyelash curler but do they really work? The instructions for using them are to hold your lashes in them for 5 seconds to get the curl, but I don't see how this would work. It just seems like one of those useless tools. Anyone here use one?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Yes, and they do work. Just be careful to catch the lashes without catching the eyelid - it takes a little practice!
Rave

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I have no idea if they've changed since I was a kid in the early 80's, but I stopped using them pretty quick because my eyelashes were falling out :eek: . Back then, they were made of chrome, with two curved rubber pieces on the end that you squeezed together over your lashes.

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Well, eyelash curlers haven't changed at all then.
I use mine occasionally, I'm a little skeptical on how well they work, the eyelash is curled after you remove the curler - but it seems to lose the curl after only a short while. Then again, I do have heavy lashes. :\

cborsky

Rinkside
I love my eyelash curler! It works best to use it before using mascara. Curl your lashes 'til they look the way you want - sometimes it helps to comb your lashes first, then put on a coat of mascara and it will hold the curl.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ravyn Rant said:
Yes, and they do work. Just be careful to catch the lashes without catching the eyelid - it takes a little practice!
Rave
Been there---done that!!......and it really hurts!!

Dee

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
Well from your posts, they sound pretty useful, I think I will buy one, what can it hurt, if my lashes start to fall out, I'll just pitch it! thanks everyone! Fun little survey. I love trying new cosmetics but am pretty new to all those accessories out there.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I've used an eyelash curler for many years now. I have long lashes, so it is a very necessary tool for me. I curl one lash, then put on mascara on it. Then I curl the other lash and put mascara on that lash. Sometimes in the evening I will recurl the lashes if I am going out. The dried mascara already on helps keep the curl longer.

Suzy

On the Ice
Has anyone ever heard or used a "heated" eyelash curler? I recall hearing about one years ago and assume they would work better somehow.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I've tried a eyelash curler before and it didn't do anything for me. But I would be intertested in hearing about heated ones...they sound neat!

R

Rebecca

I fear eyelash curlers. Rather irrational of me, I know. I just can't help it. I'm afraid of pinching my eyelid.

humbaba

Final Flight
beauty tips

Here's my tip for using eyelash curlers. Curl each set of lashes twice--once close to the lid and then farther out, about 1/2 to 2/3 toward the ends of the lashes. This is especially helpful if you have long lashes.

BTW, they now make plastic eyelash curlers. I saw a pair at the drugstore last week. They look kinder and gentler, but I wonder how they work in practice.

I had a friend Dwight when I was a little boy who had the most beautiful long, black, curly eye lashes anyone ever saw. People used to tell him all the time, what a shame to waste all that on a boy.

So one day he just cut them off altogether. They never did grow back right.

Mathman:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I used to use them years ago, but got tired of pinching my eyelid with them.......yes they do work, but there are some brands of mascara that lengthen eyelashes, and gives them the appearance of being curled. Have you tried false eyelashes? I have a friend who uses them everyday instead of curling and they look great! 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I use one everytime that I wear makeup and have since the late 60's. Once before mascara and then very lightly after mascara. If you apply too much pressure after applying mascara you risk your eyelashes coming away with the curler. Always be sure that the little rubber pad is repalced as needed. It protects your lashes from the metal of the curler.

andrealm

Rinkside
I have a plastic eyelash curler and it does work well. I have never been pinched. I am a Mary Kay consultant and we had them as a give away about a year ago. (I still have some if anyone want's to email me - sorry shameless plug - If you have a consultant they may have some left too).
I found that curling them twice- once close to the lash line and once further out helps too, as humbaba said. I do put my mascara on first but you have to curl them right away before it dries.
Robert Jones, a makeup artist ( www.simplebeaute.com) has a heated eyelash curler that I have heard works well. I have been thinking about trying it.

Anyway that's my too cents.

Andrea

Hey look I am almost to 25 posts.

Johar

Medalist
I use one instead of mascara, which always seems to make me lose eyelashes when i take the mascara off.

My curled lashes make me look younger.