Most poplular subject here at GS - MK or am I imagining this? | Golden Skate

Most poplular subject here at GS - MK or am I imagining this?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With the no. of posts lately re: Michelle Kwan, it seems Ms. Kwan to be the most popular topic here - from articles about her achievements to what she does off ice between competitions. Her name does come up quite often.

I hope no one takes my observation the wrong way!!! I just think it is interesting.

At least it is not JLO!!!!! :laugh:

bronxgirl

Medalist
As I've noted before, I cheerfully admit to being a fan of Michelle Kwan. That said, she seems to have done a series of interviews during her training that are in many papers and web news sources. If Sasha or Irina or Johnny Weir were to do these interviews, I'd love to hear about them and have them posted here for all to read.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yeah. It makes sense though. Since she comes back in competition scene as a reighning world champion and US champion. She sure gets all the attention back.

The earlier season when she absent from the competition. It was Sasha threads running all around the boards. Even at MKF you can find more Sasha thread than Michelle's. Since Sasha was the top US lady competed at the moment.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
At least it is good publicity. One gets tired of reading all the bad press about some of these Hollywood stars. Good for Michelle.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Lad,

I think a good correlation would be to look at another sports board...If you went to a board about Golf, I'm sure there would be a lot of discussions about Tiger, whether about him or -vs- him, etc.

Same way with Basketball, now it's Shaq who replaced Michael J after he retired.

MK has establised herself as the premier athelete of her sport and is working on adding to her legacy.

I think it's just sorta natural. Oh then there's the fact that as humans we don't like to think as much as we could, sometimes. But , oh bother, the good thing around here is if you don't like the discussion you can always start a new one! :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
..........and with Worlds just a few weeks away, her name is bound to come up..........(good comparison to golf and Tiger, Sk8m8)................42

euterpe

Medalist
For a while there, after she won 4CC silver, Cynthia Phaneuf was an oft-repeated name.

And during the Grand Prix series, it was Sasha and Liashenko. I think this recent interest in MK is because she is a defending champ and since she lives a very quiet life, she becomes more interesting at this time of the year.

Joe

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with what others have said. A lot of skaters are dominant discussion topics in threads and articles at one point or another. Not just Michelle. She happens to be very well-liked and respected and has not skated much this year and is the defending champion so it seems natural that we would be focusing on her a lot now, what she's up to, what her odds are. As an admitted Kwaniac I am more than happy to read about her on the boards. And no ladskater I don't think anyone would take your bringing it up the wrong way.

frozetoez

Rinkside
sk8m8 said:
Lad,

I think a good correlation would be to look at another sports board...If you went to a board about Golf, I'm sure there would be a lot of discussions about Tiger, whether about him or -vs- him, etc.

This post got me to thinking... I've never been on a golf message board, but I wonder if Tiger gets bashed on the golf boards as much as Michelle does on all the F.S. boards? I would like to think that Tiger gets the respect due him because of all he's done for golf. Unfortunately, from all the garbage I've read on F.S. boards in the past couple of years, the same can't be said for MK. :(

frozetoez said:
This post got me to thinking... I've never been on a golf message board, but I wonder if Tiger gets bashed on the golf boards as much as Michelle does on all the F.S. boards? I would like to think that Tiger gets the respect due him because of all he's done for golf. Unfortunately, from all the garbage I've read on F.S. boards in the past couple of years, the same can't be said for MK. :(
Good question, Frozetoes. In fact, is there any sport that brings out the meanies like figure skating?

That might be a topic for a new thread. What is it specifically about ice skating that turns so many otherwise rational and well-intentioned folks into trolls and psychos? (None on this board, of course. :) )

MM

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Mathman, I disagree. I find figure skating to be one of the sports where people are most civil and where scandal and corruption is nowhere near as it is in other sports. IMHO, the bigger and popular the sport, the more problems it has. In Europe, football is so huge, some fanclubs (if you can call them like that) are watched by the police because of their bad behavior. Haven't anyone here heard of the "hooligans" before? There are countries where there are violent conflicts between fans of different teams after each match. Believe me, sometimes skating fans battle in a harsh way in the internet but in the big picture it's absolutely nothing compared to what goes on in other sports.

I will have to agree with that, RIskating fan. I guess I lead a sheltered life. The only sport I follow is Red Wings hockey, where everyone behaves like a gentleman. :)

Mathman

RIskatingfan - I believe the RI is for Rhode Island. Am I correct? If so you must have seen that father/son combo take off their shirts in last season's baseball and beat up on the first baseman. Reruns were all over the place and Lino and Letterman got with it. It was really incredible.

Joe

Joe, I hope your question resolves a mystery -- what does RI stand for, LOL? Note that RIskatingfan posts from Europe.

Mathman :)

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
LOL Nope, RI doesn't stand for Rhode Island, as Mathman pointed out, I'm from Europe :D If you want to know what RI stands out for, bribing is necessary :p (I'm joking, if any of you want to know what it is I can tell you by PM ;) )

One of the reason I love figure skating is because (here comes the weird part) is not THAT controversial LOL Seriously, we're debating all the time about the judging blocs, the fans fighting between themselves and stuff like that, but it's because we're so into it. If we step back and see what goes on in the other sports, figure skating is actually all about glamour, grace, the smiles, the tears... the audiences don't boo, they applaud everyone... I really think skating is one of the "nicest" sports! :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL on discussion boards....

I certainly haven't looked for discussion boards on EVERY topic in the world. But for the topics I have looked for, a huge % of what I have found are fairly nasty in terms of personal attacks and that sort of thing. I was SO glad to find Goldenskate to feed my fandom of this sport. I also felt very lucky a couple years ago to find a good board for weight loss support. I am STILL looking for a respectful board in the German Shepherd Dog arena, so LOL let me know if any of you have recommendations.

RIskatingfan, I know what you mean about "uber fans" in the live sport arena - pretty wicked sometimes. I wonder if some of viciousness that we see on discussion boards would actually be that wicked in person. It's pretty easy to dish it out from behind a computer screen LOL.

It's good to be back in anticipation of World's!! I'm hoping for lots of great flawless skates and an exciting competition. The next week will seem like it takes forever to go by.

DG