Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "un"pointed toes

Rinkside

"un"pointed toes

Could anyone of you here point out to me those well-known skaters who just couldn't point out their toes? At least when I see them on TV, I would know how a spiral (or any other position) would look like with unpointed toes.

I think it might be easier to mention the ones that do point their toes.

Let me tell you it is hard to point your toes in figure skating boots they are just too stiff, believe me I try

Custom Title
    Irina Slutskaya doesn't point her toes.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Linda Fratianne used to point her Heels when she jumped. It was a kind of odd look.

dpp

A good example of bad toe pointing (or a bad example of pointing the toes) is Yoshie Onda during her layback spins. There are other parts of her layback spins that need attention (such as turnout of the free leg), but it is a very easy place to spot her almost-flexed foot.

guinevere

All those mentiioned so far, Linda F., Irina and Yoshie have a problem with pointing the toes. In the layback, Linda, if I remember correctly and Yoshie do not turn out at the knee. Irina did improve her knee turnout. But there are many other ladies (and men) whose unpointed toes are quite obvious.

I think Dance skaters and most Pairs skaters have the best knee turnouts and pointed toes.

Joe

On the Ice
    An excellent example of great toe point is Maya Usova.

Frozetoez beat me to it, I was going to say Maya Usova always had beautifully pointed toes....no one else comes to mind.

Custom Title
    I couldn't get past Sasha's muscles to look at her toes. For a small girl, she sure is muscular, I wonder why she wasn't a gymnast?

Custom Title

Did you know.....

On the subject of pointed toes.......

Did you all know that pointing toes during jumps is not done for the visual pleasantry, but rather to combat back injury from landing on the flat????

I learned that the other day from my daughter's coach. She is working on her double sal and double toe and her coach hollered at her about pointing the toes. She explained to me that not only is it prettier, but more importantly, landing on those toes will save on future back problems.

Canuck

Did you all know that pointing toes during jumps is not done for the visual pleasantry, but rather to combat back injury from landing on the flat????
    Well that's kind of funny considering Sasha (who is known for pointing her toes on jumps) missed a whole season due to a back injury. Go figure.

nthuz
    It is impossible to point one's toes in figure skating boots in the way that a dancer points toes. The foot that is laced into a boot cannot arch due to the stiff sole. The "illusion" of pointed toes [in skaters] comes from the bending the ankle.

The extent to which the ankle can bend depends on the boot (and of course the skater's determination). Usova and other dancers have better "point" becuase the top of a dance boot is cut much lower-especially in the back, allowing for greater flexibility of the ankle. Freestyle boots need to be higher and stiffer for the skater doing jumps.

Some brands of boots help with the illusion of pointed toes.

As to pointing toes during a jump: Landing on the flat will definately give you some pain, but most likely it will be in your behind, because that's what you'll fall on. "Pointing" the toes causes the pick to hit the ice first and grab before riding the edge out of the jump. The key to preventing pain in the back from landing is bending the KNEES! The knees are the body's shock absorbers.

I always wondered about Butyrskya's (sp?) back--seemed like her knees never bent when she landed.

Custom Title
    All those female skaters are deceptively muscular. I was watching a piece on Michelle Kwan and it showed her walking on the beach and I couldn't get over how big and muscular her legs were. They definitely don't look so imposing when she's in her skating costume. Sasha's mother said that she was told that Sasha had the perfect body for gymnastics and that it was a shame that she didn't continue with the sport. Galina said that she pulled Sasha out of the sport b/c Sasha never paid attention on the beam and she was afraid Sasha would hurt herself. It's funny how those attention lapses continue today. I think that was either from Blades on Ice or IFS magazine (they both have pieces on Sasha).

Custom Title
    Tonia Kwiatkowski always had great toe point. Dick and Peggy always pointed that out when she jumped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast