Thread: Why did Gracie Gold leave so early for the Olympics

Medalist

Why did Gracie Gold leave so early for the Olympics

She left almost whole before everyone else and does seem to be for the team event Davis/White just left today.

Custom Title
    Maybe she wants to get a feel for the ice and get to know the rink? Think that's why Patrick Chan left so early.

Custom Title
    Gracie seems to be very focus and well-prepared. She might be the dark-horse after all.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kresslia View Post
    Maybe she wants to get a feel for the ice and get to know the rink? Think that's why Patrick Chan left so early.
    Gold left the the U.S. early to go to Oberstdorf. Carroll and Denis Ten were there with her.

Whether/when Gold already has passed through Team USA processing in Munich, I do not know.

And whether Team Carroll now has moved on to Sochi, I do not know.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Gold left the the U.S. early to go to Oberstdorf. Carroll and Denis Ten were there with her.

Whether/when Gold already has passed through Team USA processing in Munich, I do not know.

And whether Team Carroll now has moved on to Sochi, I do not know.
    This. I don't think there is any access to the Olympic ice until official practices. Men's begins tomorrow per U.S. Figure Skating's latest tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    This. I don't think there is any access to the Olympic ice until official practices. Men's begins tomorrow per U.S. Figure Skating's latest tweet.
    Official practices began on Thu Jan 30 for team skating.

Whether any Team USA skaters have shown up for any official practices yet is a separate question.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Gracie seems to be very focus and well-prepared. She might be the dark-horse after all.
    That's the advantage of having someone like Frank Carroll as her coach. He knows all the ins and outs of getting ready for the Olympics and how to prepare.

Custom Title
    I think it's probably just an individual thing and how well people adjust. Jason Brown only left today. But that doesn't mean he won't be in the team event (they'd be nuts to leave him out of it). It might just mean that Kori thinks that the less time he has to get overwhelmed by the occasion, the better.

Update: FWIW, I see now that Gold apparently has been through Team USA processing.

Custom Title
    She looks happy. I hope she enjoys every moment of this medal or no medal.

Custom Title
    Official practices began on Thu Jan 30 for team skating.

Whether any Team USA skaters have shown up for any official practices yet is a separate question.
    Well, they didn't begin two weeks ago. Gracie has not had super special access to the Olympic arena before anyone else and that is not why she left so early as was suggested in this thread.