Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 267 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

AECsquirrel

Spectator
I've been a fan of V/T for a few years now and I love their smooth classical style. I'm also worried for them especially as D/R seem desperate to retain their title and pulling out all the stops. I watched D/R clips on you tube where they talk about changing their style this year, concentrating on their connection and skating in hold instead of mainly side by side (sorry I'm not an expert). This is exactly what Max observed in his commentary of them this year (which ironically he got criticised for). Perhaps they actually listened to what he had to say and decided to make some changes. I don't know? I really hope V/T can put the work in and wow us. I really want them to take back the top spot for a few years yet.

AECsquirrel

Spectator
Also regarding Max and his nerves. He must of been really nervous on his first competition back. He must also be worrying that his shoulder holds up, as I suspect despite his operation it will probably never quite be the same as before the injury. I know that now they have won this title and all the nerves are hopefully spent; they can move onwards and hopefully upwards. Fingers crossed. 😏

Nessie

On the Ice
Hi everyone, I don't think I have posted here before, anyway I just watched Meagan and Erics SP and FP and I have also watched Maxim and Tatianas SP and FP and I'm soooo scared. There is a huge gap between the two pairs scoring wise and I know that Maxim and Tatiana had some difficulties and Level 2 on some elements but even if they wore level 4 and skated cleanly I doubt it would win over Meagan and Eric so do you guys know anything about if Maxim and Tatiana are going to change something in their programs or anything that might increase their scores and also what are you guys opinion on the two pairs and who do you think will dominate this season???

This is an interesting discussion -- would it be too much to ask if you could give the links to the two programs, short and long programs, by D/R that you think will be hard to beat?

StunninglyUnique

Rinkside
This is an interesting discussion -- would it be too much to ask if you could give the links to the two programs, short and long programs, by D/R that you think will be hard to beat?

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBYTZwHAww
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCbuksWDJ0

They have a technically difficult program! That's the problem. Seriously I cringe everytime I watch these two skate especially when they do the jumps, throws and twists - It looks so u*ly. Their quads aren't even impressive to watch just because they can't execute them perfectly or even nicely (Wow this sounds so harsh of me but it just gets on my nerves that people can do a ugly quad and win while others do beautiful triples and lose (the gold))

Edit: These are the programs for this season 2015-2016

Last edited:

kinoriH

Final Flight

They have a technically difficult program! That's the problem. Seriously I cringe everytime I watch these two skate especially when they do the jumps, throws and twists - It looks so u*ly. Their quads aren't even impressive to watch just because they can't execute them perfectly or even nicely (Wow this sounds so harsh of me but it just gets on my nerves that people can do a ugly quad and win while others do beautiful triples and lose (the gold))

what scores did they recieve for both programs?

Nessie

On the Ice

Thanks so much! When I get a chance I'm going to study these. Thanks again. And Kinori's right - we need to see the scores... even if they might be somewhat biased....

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
welcome new ppl:yay::cheer2:

I feel like such a bad fan b/c I dont care if they win or lose to D/R:biggrin:
They better stay healthy & bring us aesthetic pleasure, have clean programs. Then we'll see who wins

eli60056

On the Ice

They better stay healthy & bring us aesthetic pleasure, have clean programs. Then we'll see who wins

IMO that is the true measure of being a fan - to love them regardless. Although I don't see any reason why they will not win. With all due respect to all the other competitors in the field, for me Tania and Max are in a class of their own. They are a pleasure to watch even if they just skate in circles on the ice. :)

Nessie

On the Ice
Okay. D/R skated well -- if that’s all that is required… But to my eye they seem to be concentrating and working so hard to execute the elements, that the program seems like an exercise, not a performance. Sort of like they’re under threat: if you don’t skate this perfectly, you have to leave earth and move to Jupiter!

It’s clear D/R are focused, practicing hard and are hungry to win. But in their skating, there is little to no communication between them, no rapport, no ideas expressed – just execution. And what unfortunate music they always seem to choose. It doesn’t help them create any kind of illusion, no story, no nuance or excitement and certainly no sensitivity to the music itself. V+T have the rare and charismatic combination of excellent technique and emotion-filled performances. Mere athletic moves without soul are not interesting (to me). Skating sometimes does go in that direction, but it is a fallow field of contenders if we are not moved by a program. It’s simple. Volosozhar and Trankov are artists – that’s the difference.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
They got 79.51 for their short program and 151.34 for their free program which is ridiculously high especially the score they got for their FP which is close to the world record which V/T currently hold

Not to mention the got components there that Aliona and Robin never even got. The only team who has gotten higher components are V/T. If you watched the TSL video, that was me who made that comment about it being 6 points too high. :laugh: Which is true. The highest PCS D/R have gotten in international competition is ≈34 for the short and ≈71 for the free.

ragdoll

On the Ice
Sort of like they’re under threat: if you don’t skate this perfectly, you have to leave earth and move to Jupiter!

LOL, LOL, LOL...Well, beautiful Jupiter is the planet of expansion, luck and general good fortune so maybe not a bad place to be. ;)

Sfey

On the Ice

That's the approach I'm trying to take as well. If V/T skate the way we know they can, then it's a win for me watching :)

In any case, the GP is some weeks away, and while the other teams are training hard, so are V/T! So who knows how they'll look by November or what scores they get.

I do have a question though, since I'm a novice fan. After V/T's FS at Nebelhorn, a lot of people on the boards were saying that the score they got was great for September, and would no doubt go up once they polish the programs. Now people are saying V/T have no chance? I'm confused!

Edit: mind you, if there's one thing I've learnt from social media, it that narratives can shift very quickly. ;)

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I do have a question though, since I'm a novice fan. After V/T's FS at Nebelhorn, a lot of people on the boards were saying that the score they got was great for September, and would no doubt go up once they polish the programs. Now people are saying V/T have no chance? I'm confused!
I think in most cases those are not the same people, although, honestly, I have not paid that much attention to who said what. Also, V/T's scores rising and them having little or no chance is really not that contradictory, because, while their scores will most likely rise if they skate clean or close to clean, Duhamel/Radford and Sui/Han can get even higher scores if they execute their planned technical content. V/T's GOE and PCS may still be higher than any other pair's later in the season, but not by enough to compensate the gap in base value.

Last edited:

Sfey

On the Ice
I think in most cases those are not the same people, although, honestly, I have not paid that much attention to who said what. Also, V/T's scores rising and them having little or no chance is really not that contradictory, because, while their scores will most likely rise if they skate clean or close to clean, Duhamel/Radford and Sui/Han can get even higher scores if they execute their planned technical content. V/T's GOE and PCS may still be higher than any other pair's later in the season, but not by enough to compensate the gap in base value.

Thanks for explaining. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sfey

On the Ice
(can you tell I'm procrastinating from assignments?)

Does anyone have 'dream music' they'd like to see V/T skate to? I was wondering the other day if they could turn their 'Somebody To Die For' exhibition into a competitive program. Or maybe go in the other direction and have something soft, since they usually have dramatic music for competitions...

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
(can you tell I'm procrastinating from assignments?)

Does anyone have 'dream music' they'd like to see V/T skate to? I was wondering the other day if they could turn their 'Somebody To Die For' exhibition into a competitive program. Or maybe go in the other direction and have something soft, since they usually have dramatic music for competitions...

I like them doing big, whacky, dramatic programs! Maybe Salome's Final Scene (just the orchestral version, no voice). Plus the opera itself is very dramatic and I think they could pull that theme off.

Sfey

On the Ice
I like them doing big, whacky, dramatic programs! Maybe Salome's Final Scene (just the orchestral version, no voice). Plus the opera itself is very dramatic and I think they could pull that theme off.

I like big, dramatic programs too! That's why Black Swan is hands down my favourite program. I was simply wondering what a soft program from them might look like. I remember reading an interview with another Russian coach (I forget who), who said that soft, quiet music like Moonlight Sonata is actually quite difficult to do well without seeming boring, and he thought V/T would be the only current team who had the maturity to carry it off. Like their 'Benedictus' exhibition, which I find magical. Maybe not for a long program, but a short program maybe. But I imagine choreographing for a competitive program is probably different to choreographing an exhibition.

Speaking of dramatic music... what about the Rose Adagio from Sleeping Beauty?