Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 270 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

chloevclem

Rinkside
I can't thank you enough, Svetik. I hadn't checked their instagrams in a few days.....Because of you, Svetik, I can say:

Mission accomplished. At long last! Met Tanya. You can’t believe how sweet she is. Max was nearby running and flexing before practice. Will write more shortly…

Nessie I am so happy for you! I'm in school at New York University and I've been keeping tracking V/T's instagrams and it looks like they've been having fun sight seeing. I was hoping that I'd run in to them on the street or something but it sound like they're back at practice now:(

chloevclem

Rinkside
The Grand Prix season officially starts on Thursday! I'm so excited!! I finally decided to invest in the $50 season pass offered by ice network. Now I don't have to search the internet for streams:cheer:

Tallorder

On the Ice
Very smart of V/T to prepare in the US before their return to the competitive circuit. No issues with time change, etc. I wish the all the best this week at SA.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Very smart of V/T to prepare in the US before their return to the competitive circuit. No issues with time change, etc. I wish the all the best this week at SA.
??? They won't be at Skate America. Their GPs are Trophee Bompard and NHK Trophy.

Nessie

On the Ice
Once I read Svetik’s note that V+T were in New Jersey, I contacted the rink manager and got their training schedule. And because I had a hellish week facing me at work, I went to my office over the weekend to get ahead of my work obligations.
For the first two days, Tanya and Max’s schedule was to be from 10 a.m. to 12p.m. and 1:45 – 3:45 p.m. I decided to go on Tuesday because I needed time on Monday to buy them a good bottle of champagne. I re-wrote the card of congratulations six times and what I said was probably still stupid.

I took an 8:15 bus and got to the rink complex an hour later. The manager said he’d be away that morning but he was there when I arrived so I gave him the (less expensive) bottle of champagne I had brought him for his continued kindness to me.

As described before, there is a very large, high-ceilinged, open area outside the rinks (there are two rinks) with chairs and tables but a lot of open space with a good floor and walls of glass to the outside. Part of the open space was sectioned off – it was obvious that this area was reserved and it would serve essentially as a training room. I sat outside that special area. There was no one else around but me.
Shortly after I sat down, Nina Mozer came walking along by herself, and went into the sectioned area. She sat at a table and started making phone calls. I considered going over to her to thank her for the wonderful accomplishments she has achieved with Volosozhar and Trankov, but I thought better of it. If I were to talk to her, I might lose my chance for a word with Tanya and Max. I knew what my priorities were!
Then a tall, very good-looking guy came from some hidden room between the rink and the open area. For a split-second, I didn’t recognize him. He was thinner than I thought he’d be. And was dressed in tight, new-looking exercise clothes and sneakers. It was Max. Last year he was late to practice. This year, he had arrived before Nina.

As soon as I saw him, I stood up and picked up the gift-wrapped box of champagne I brought, and started to move toward him. He was walking toward me and smiled but he turned right around and ran out the glass door to run around the entire building complex!
Okay, he had smiled but briefly. But what had he been thinking? “Oops, looks like a fan is here. I have no time. No particular interest. Gotta ‘ go!” And he disappeared.

Then Tanya came out of the same hidden room. She too was wearing tight exercise clothes and sneakers, hair in a pony tail. She walked around a bit while Nina was talking on the phone. Tanya has a gorgeous figure -- the flattest stomach I’ve ever seen. Not an ounce of extra weight. She’s as perfect as perfect can be.

Tanya walked out of the cordoned-off area and I picked up the champagne again, and saying “Excuse me”, I went up to her.
I introduced myself quickly and told her that I was a fan of her and Max’s skating and how much I admired both of them. I said that I came from Manhattan to give them this small gift to congratulate them on their marriage. I couldn’t look at her and concentrate on what I wanted to say, so I sort of talked to the floor and still I was less than brilliant. She is prettier in person than in pictures. She has the most beautiful, glowing skin. She is a very rare creature – it almost seems as if she gives off light, like a delicate firefly. (Or perhaps a fire-bird when she’s angry). She said a lovely and warm, very softly spoken, “thank you.” But she was reserved.

I guess I stumbled around with a few more comments praising them.

Then I went back to my table and I can’t remember exactly, but somehow she was still nearby and I mentioned that I had written them a letter and had she received it? I repeated my name. She shook her head and said….”I can’t remember…. we get so many…” and then she added, “but sometimes we reply! ” I said more stuff about how wonderful Masquerade Waltz was and how much I loved the music for Dracula. And that I’d thought they were even better than Gordeeva and Grinkov, Bereshnaya and Sikharudlikze, and she laughed, and said “ That was a long time ago!” I added that maybe they were even better than G&G, because they did more difficult maneuvers. Then I thanked her and said I didn’t want to take any more of her practice time. I wished them success and good fortune for the 2018 Olympics. She answered, “We are trying…”

She returned to her space and I was sort of embarrassed so I buried myself in looking at my I-phone. A few moments later, she came to the table and put two small, signed photographs on the table, “Maybe this can be a reply….” I thanked her but I was almost overcome! What a sweet and gracious person. You know what Tanya has? Integrity. That‘s why she glows. She is a modest, unassuming and gentle young woman.

Okay, I have to go home. This is the first part of my comments. My husband called and wonders why I’m so late at work. It’s because I’m writing this! I’ll write more tomorrow. In order not to leave you in suspense, I didn’t really meet Max. My next report will be about their practicing their lifts and my thoughts about how difficult it is to be a fan, etc. All for now.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Once I read Svetik’s note that V+T were in New Jersey, I contacted the rink manager and got their training schedule. And because I had a hellish week facing me at work, I went to my office over the weekend to get ahead of my work obligations.
For the first two days, Tanya and Max’s schedule was to be from 10 a.m. to 12p.m. and 1:45 – 3:45 p.m. I decided to go on Tuesday because I needed time on Monday to buy them a good bottle of champagne. I re-wrote the card of congratulations six times and what I said was probably still stupid.

I took an 8:15 bus and got to the rink complex an hour later. The manager said he’d be away that morning but he was there when I arrived so I gave him the (less expensive) bottle of champagne I had brought him for his continued kindness to me.

As described before, there is a very large, high-ceilinged, open area outside the rinks (there are two rinks) with chairs and tables but a lot of open space with a good floor and walls of glass to the outside. Part of the open space was sectioned off – it was obvious that this area was reserved and it would serve essentially as a training room. I sat outside that special area. There was no one else around but me.
Shortly after I sat down, Nina Mozer came walking along by herself, and went into the sectioned area. She sat at a table and started making phone calls. I considered going over to her to thank her for the wonderful accomplishments she has achieved with Volosozhar and Trankov, but I thought better of it. If I were to talk to her, I might lose my chance for a word with Tanya and Max. I knew what my priorities were!
Then a tall, very good-looking guy came from some hidden room between the rink and the open area. For a split-second, I didn’t recognize him. He was thinner than I thought he’d be. And was dressed in tight, new-looking exercise clothes and sneakers. It was Max. Last year he was late to practice. This year, he had arrived before Nina.

As soon as I saw him, I stood up and picked up the gift-wrapped box of champagne I brought, and started to move toward him. He was walking toward me and smiled but he turned right around and ran out the glass door to run around the entire building complex!
Okay, he had smiled but briefly. But what had he been thinking? “Oops, looks like a fan is here. I have no time. No particular interest. Gotta ‘ go!” And he disappeared.

Then Tanya came out of the same hidden room. She too was wearing tight exercise clothes and sneakers, hair in a pony tail. She walked around a bit while Nina was talking on the phone. Tanya has a gorgeous figure -- the flattest stomach I’ve ever seen. Not an ounce of extra weight. She’s as perfect as perfect can be.

Tanya walked out of the cordoned-off area and I picked up the champagne again, and saying “Excuse me”, I went up to her.
I introduced myself quickly and told her that I was a fan of her and Max’s skating and how much I admired both of them. I said that I came from Manhattan to give them this small gift to congratulate them on their marriage. I couldn’t look at her and concentrate on what I wanted to say, so I sort of talked to the floor and still I was less than brilliant. She is prettier in person than in pictures. She has the most beautiful, glowing skin. She is a very rare creature – it almost seems as if she gives off light, like a delicate firefly. (Or perhaps a fire-bird when she’s angry). She said a lovely and warm, very softly spoken, “thank you.” But she was reserved.

Then I went back to my table and I can’t remember exactly, but somehow she was still nearby and I mentioned that I had written them a letter and had she received it? I repeated my name. She shook her head and said….”I can’t remember…. we get so many…” and then she added, “but sometimes we reply! ” I said more stuff about how wonderful Masquerade Waltz was and how much I loved the music for Dracula. And that I’d thought they were even better than Gordeeva and Grinkov, Bereshnaya and Sikharudlikze, and she laughed, and said “ That was a long time ago!” I added that maybe they were even better than G&G, because they did more difficult maneuvers. Then I thanked her and said I didn’t want to take any more of her practice time. I wished them success and good fortune for the 2018 Olympics. She answered, “We are trying…”

She returned to her space and I was sort of embarrassed so I buried myself in looking at my I-phone. A few moments later, she came to the table and put two small, signed photographs on the table, “Maybe this can be a reply….” I thanked her but I was almost overcome! What a sweet and gracious person. You know what Tanya has? Integrity. That‘s why she glows. She is a modest, unassuming and gentle young woman.

Okay, I have to go home. This is the first part of my comments. My husband called and wonders why I’m so late at work. It’s because I’m writing this! I’ll write more tomorrow. In order not to leave you in suspense, I didn’t really meet Max. My next report will be about their practicing their lifts and my thoughts about how difficult it is to be a fan, etc. All for now.

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing! And Lolz at Max...

eli60056

On the Ice

Nessie, thanks so very much about this wonderful account of your meeting with them! I have read several other people's accounts of their meeting them and all are as charmed by them as you were. They really must be exceptional people for so many people to feel that way about them and I am very happy for you that you have met Tania. Everyone who meets her says that she is absolutely gorgeous and very gracious. I had no doubts, her inner and outer beauty is apparent through pics and videos, but it is so nice to read witnesses tales as well. Thanks one more time!

Devochka

Rinkside
(My phone isn't letting me quote!!!)

@Nessie
I'm so happy for yooooouuuu! I have the biggest smile on my face right now :D

Tanya sounds like a such a kind, beautiful person, inside and out.

Also, thank you so much for sharing, Nessie! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on their lifts and training session.

Last edited:

theyaremagic

Rinkside
You are so brave Nessie! I know how much courage it needs to speak with a skater and to find the right words etc (I had a similar experience with Stéphane Lambiel some years ago, he is such a sweet and charming person and I barely could speak I was so nervous...). I am happy for you that you could speak with Tanya. And how nice and sweet she was, I adore her more and more!
Looking forward to hear about your thoughts about the training.

svetik

On the Ice
Nessie, thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear, that you have met Tanya. You was brave, that you spoke to her. I'm looking forward to hearing about their training!

Nessie

On the Ice
Part 2:
Tanya then returned to the enclosed section and did stretches, etc. Then she ran down and back through the whole hallway and then did it again sideways. Max came back in from his run outside and sat and talked with two training team aides (older guys) and Nina. Then Tanya and Max started working on one of their lifts. I think it was the penultimate or the last lift in the “Dracula” program – where Tanya is overhead and holds her left leg with her right hand, supporting herself with her left hand on Max’s shoulder. Most of the lift went just fine (as I thought it has been fine in their performances, though maybe a little awkward). But Max seemed to be very unhappy with the design of dismount (if you call it that). He spoke rather sharply to Nina, explaining I guess (since I don’t understand Russian) what wasn’t working as far as he was concerned. He shook his head and they tried again. And again. One time Tanya nearly fell over his back, and another time he struggled to get her down neatly and another time it was a big mess. He was not a happy camper. The problem seems to be the way his hand was positioned or was supposed to be positioned in bringing her down. At one point, Nina, to herself, turned over her right hand, and shrugged her shoulders as if to suggest she didn’t see the problem. Tanya and Max tried the lift a number of times again and at one point, Max stopped and glared at Tanya. In defense of herself, she held out her arms as if to say, “Hey - what do you want from me? I doing my part!”

Then Nina started photographing each execution of the lift with her I-pad. Then all three of them would study the photo. They did the lift over and over and then reviewed the photos on the I-pad.

I tried not to stare at them every second. It seemed rude. I watched sometimes and looked into my phone sometimes. I felt like an intruder. This was serious business. There was no lovey-dovey show of affection between Max and Tanya. This was WORK and they were trying to solve a problem that Max had identified. And if it seems to be Max who shows some temper, one has to be sympathetic with him. So much depends on him. And he knows he has to feel comfortable with the choreography. If a dismount is too tricky the chances for error are increased. If it’s hard in practice, it will be twice as difficult under pressure, with hundreds, thousands of people watching.

This is when it hit me that I was witness to an athlete’s hard work. Yes, their personal love story is (to me) thrilling and beautiful, their skating is emotional and full of nuance, the music, the costumes, the story-telling, all interesting -- but none of this happens without their being incredibly fit. They are athletes first, and I was watching two people with years of training, great willpower and ability, pushing to get something right. It seemed that this work should have been private. I never would have been able to see this if there had been an exercise room where they could practice. But there they were, in this big hall, with Nina and the two training guys (who sat saying not a word) and me, a perfect stranger – twenty feet away from them. I left after 20 minutes. They were all looking at the I-pad photos and I had to get to my office. There was only that one moment to meet Max and it didn't happen. But that is okay.

On the way home, I thought of the rhythm of their lives. How hard it must be to prepare for months, and then there is a 3- or 4-minute competition. Intense pressure is “on” and then it is turned “off.” You train and then wait around for the next dose of pressure. I think this lifestyle is much more difficult than it looks from the outside. And I have renewed respect for them and for their objectives.

And that brings me to the matter of being a fan. Volosozhar and Trankov have been skating for many years now. Maybe the attention of fans was fun and exciting at first, but it must have become something of a nuisance at this point. Even if a nice, intelligent person appreciates them, V and T cannot and do not want to return any kind of attention, or seek any proximity to a fan. Fans are not individuals, but a mass, a phenomenon, a singular but infinite thing they deal with in a most minimal way. And this too is logical. They have their “regular” friends, their professional “friends,” their family and their world. There is a great divide between “us” fans and the people we admire. An Instagram account is a fantasy. It is not real. We don’t really know them and they have no need to know us. And why should they?

V and T have two more practice sessions next week and I am free those days (because I’m working most of this weekend). When I returned to my office on Tuesday, I was sure that I would not go see them again. It is awkward to be there alone – I don’t want to appear to be a crazed stalker! But I will decide at the last minute this Monday, if I will go out there again and not mind a bit feeling like an outsider.

I hope they drank the champagne, but I wonder. Maybe they gave it to one of the training guys who sharpen their skates for them…

Last edited:

eli60056

On the Ice
Fantastic tale, Nessie, and I mean all of it, and your thoughts and conclusions, as well. I wish you would go again and tell us later another little piece about their training, because it is very fascinating. I take it, that Stas wasn't there at all then, for he could have helped with those lifts.
And the champagne was a nicely thought up present, whatever they decide to do with it. As far as I have heard and read, Tania and Max appreciate and value all fans presents and fan's support, it has really and materially helped them in competitions and in preparation, so please don't feel awkward and strange, or unwanted. All accounts of them say that they are lovely, open to interaction and very approachable people.

As an aside note, you really have a gift of an engaging storytelling :)

kinoriH

Final Flight
Nessie- I think the lift you're talking about is the same lift they got a level 2 for at Nebelhorn. It's nice to know they're doing their best to increase those levels because it's silly for them not to get level 4 for all of their elements. These are mistakes they can't afford this season. The first and most important thing is quality.
Hopefully if they change the dismount of the last lift they'll probably go for a different ending pose which suits the dramatic end a bit more.

Thank you so much for providing this inside imformation, Nessie. I really can't thank you enough. :love:

Nessie

On the Ice
Nessie- I think the lift you're talking about is the same lift they got a level 2 for at Nebelhorn. It's nice to know they're doing their best to increase those levels because it's silly for them not to get level 4 for all of their elements. These are mistakes they can't afford this season. The first and most important thing is quality.
Hopefully if they change the dismount of the last lift they'll probably go for a different ending pose which suits the dramatic end a bit more.

Thank you so much for providing this inside imformation, Nessie. I really can't thank you enough. :love:[/QUOTE

Thanks, Eli 60056, for your sweet comments. And you too Kinori H. Yikes, I hope I wasn’t feeling too sorry for myself. I have done nothing but think about V +T since I saw them, trying to sort out my impressions.

But one thing we must recognize, as Kinori H just pointed out now. If you watched the Skate America performances today, V+T have some excellent pairs right on their heels. V+T must be at the top of their game, or they might be passed by!

I loved Stolbova and Klimov’s routine – the music was excellent and I loved the choreography! And her costume was FABULOUS! With the exception of a few unfortunate errors, they skated well. I wonder why Stolbova is a bit off her feed.

And Sui and Han were just wonderful. Wow. And Scemca and Kiernim – excellent, though she’s got to stop making faces. There was so much good skating today, V+T will have a hard time staying on top unless they turn up the volume.

BUT marvelous as the skating was, NO ONE has the beauty of position and elegant lines that V+T have. They are unmatched in that area. No one is close….yet….

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
An amazing tale, thanks, Nessie, for sharing this! :love: You're so lucky to have met them in person!