Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 294 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

Nessie

On the Ice
There is a lot of Russian commentary today that this is a big screw up on part of Mozer. They should never have been there.

Really? Wow! How interesting. If anyone can translate any important comments, it would be great to hear these... I guess someone has to take the fall. but I thought Mozer was rather quiet in practices. Maybe she was somewhat worried...

Last edited:

TatiMax

On the Ice
There is a saying when the team wins players are congratulated and when the team falls the coach gets all blame. With 3 teams Mozer will have problems with press and federation I don't think she is the only one to blame.
For the 2 young teams getting bad results at this time is the best. 2 years before 2018, they know their weak points and how to improve their results IF they want to improve.
For Tatiana and Maxim they need to make a decision about their future and choose between chasing golds or having a baby. In top sports you can't have 2 hearts.

orangella96

Final Flight
No matter what, all we can do now is wait for their decision. They'll probably announce their next steps soon, I just hope they'll be happy no matter what they choose to do :)

liv

Record Breaker
I hope they focus on what they want and go for it. It is not good to be undecided because then you put in a half effort. I hope they decide what they want and then do all they can do make it happen. It's only the first year back for them, and it takes time, so it's not a disaster, just disappointing for them. They made small errors here and there and it cost them. Whatever they decide will be the right decision for them, because it is for the rest of their lives.

And it isn't unheard of to have a baby and then win gold... done 2x before that I know of...

Sfey

On the Ice
I hope they focus on what they want and go for it. It is not good to be undecided because then you put in a half effort. I hope they decide what they want and then do all they can do make it happen. It's only the first year back for them, and it takes time, so it's not a disaster, just disappointing for them. They made small errors here and there and it cost them. Whatever they decide will be the right decision for them, because it is for the rest of their lives.

And it isn't unheard of to have a baby and then win gold... done 2x before that I know of...

Were those skaters younger than V/T? Because I imagine it would be much easier to come back to competition after having a child if you're say, early twenties.

Honestly, I don't think it would be possible for V/T to have a child and then come back to competition in time for the 2018 Olympics. Pregnancy and the first few months of child rearing would probably take at least a year, more like a year and half out of training, and I don't think that would leave them enough time to train up to a level where they could be competitive, especially with extreme physical level required for pairs now.

We'll have to see what Tanya and Max decide. Either way, we'll support them. :)

kinoriH

Final Flight
Were those skaters younger than V/T? Because I imagine it would be much easier to come back to competition after having a child if you're say, early twenties.

The only pair I could think of is Gordeeva and Grinkov. But let's not forget that Katia was only 20 and they skated in another era, where the pairs discipline was less technical and more classical.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, their pregnancy was unplanned.

Miki Ando also tried to have a comeback for the 2013-14 season but couldn't really keep going till the end.

Having a baby is not a joke. It changes your whole perspective on life. Your priorities change and so does your body. As athletic as Tanya is, there are changes that the human eye cannot see. That's nature.

I will support them in every decision they decide to make.

liv

Record Breaker
Irina rodnina, 10x world champ, 3 time olympic champ, 2 different partners also took time off for her baby. But she was a force of nature!!! She had her baby in feb 1979 and won olys in 1980... and she was over 30... I googled!!

But yes, age is a different thing altogether, as is timing between olympic cycles.

Last edited:

Sfey

On the Ice
Irina rodnina, 10x world champ, 3 time olympic champ, 2 different partners also took time off for her baby. But she was a force of nature!!! She had her baby in feb 1979 and won olys in 1980... and she was over 30... I googled!!

But yes, age is a different thing altogether, as is timing between olympic cycles.

Wow, what an amazing career!

Sfey

On the Ice
The only pair I could think of is Gordeeva and Grinkov. But let's not forget that Katia was only 20 and they skated in another era, where the pairs discipline was less technical and more classical.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, their pregnancy was unplanned.

Miki Ando also tried to have a comeback for the 2013-14 season but couldn't really keep going till the end.

Having a baby is not a joke. It changes your whole perspective on life. Your priorities change and so does your body. As athletic as Tanya is, there are changes that the human eye cannot see. That's nature.

I will support them in every decision they decide to make.

Ah, I thought it was Gordeeva/Grinkov.

It wouldn't be 100% impossible to come back after having a child, but highly unlikely, for the reasons you mentioned. I know of many prima ballerinas who left temporarily to have children and then came back better than ever, but there isn't a set time limit for them like there would be for V/T. They'd have less than two years to have a child and get back to a competitive level, and I don't think that's really feasible. Plus who knows what the pairs scene will look like in two years time.

kinoriH

Final Flight
Even if there is a chance for them to come back after having a child, I doubt they will.
Rodina had her husband at that time to help her, I guess, and like I said the technical difficulty was not at the level it is today.
I can't imagine V/T having a baby in their 30s and then leaving him with relatives while they fly to competitions. It's not like performing in shows where there is less risk for injuries and the schedule is not as strict as it is in ISU competitions.

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that it's not their pride that makes them keep going. They've won everything already and they know it. I just hope they do this for the right reasons.

eli60056

On the Ice
Dear Tania and Max, please forgive us!
An open letter from a die-hard fan

I just got back from Boston, from a long and tiring road trip, that I and my family undertook in order for me to be able to see my absolute favorite pair skaters in the world in person - Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

As many others, I came to the world of figure skating enthusiasts during the last Olympic Games in Sochi, which I happily watched from the comfort of my own couch at home. There, for the first time since I was a teenager, the times of Gordeeva and Grinkov, I sat down and watched the pairs skating individual competition: Pairs Short Program. You must understand that at that moment I knew next to nothing about lutz, toeloop or what a combination spin meant. I watched purely for the aesthetic pleasure of seeing two bodies artistic movements over the white canvas of the ice.
I can’t say I was that much into it from the get go. But there came this moment when I saw The Pink Panther. That quirky program got my attention and not only mine, but also my husband’s and my kids attention. It was fairly obvious to us, even though we did not know anything about figure skating rules and elements, that it was done by masters. And I remember I told my husband that it will not be surprising at all to me if it took the first place, as I have not seen anything to beat it up to that moment. In my total ignorance I did not even know or remember that there was supposed to be another round of the competition called a Long Program.
And just then, there came The Masquerade Waltz. There was this handsome man dressed in uniform, and this beautiful girl, looking like a royal princess, who commanded the ice as their ballroom floor and danced on it with the abandon of lovers and the royal presence of a king and queen. I, along with my entire family, watched them mesmerized. We could not take our eyes off the screen and the program felt like it lasted only 10 seconds. I did not want it to finish, but it finished all to soon. We exhaled and said in almost a unison: "THIS is going to win”. And boy, did it win!
I went immediately on internet and knowing from experience that anything worth seeing that I watch on TV inevitably ends up on youtube, I started searching on youtube in the hope to repeat this joy once again. Funnily enough I did not even remember the names of the two beautiful skaters that gave me so much joy. But I was persistent and in a little while thanks to google, I had them: Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov. Then I found the name of the program, and finally a video of the European championship where Masquerade Waltz was performed. I watched that program that night over and over again, long into the night. The poise, the elegance, the absolute confidence, the grace and the power combined, all those qualities of the pair skaters were quickly taking their hold over me and by the end of that night I fell in love with Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov as a pair.
The next day I started googling for anything I could find on them and any video of their past performances. I wasn’t disappointed - each time it looked like they skated with the same abandon and incited feelings of awe and admiration. Even when they made mistakes in their skates, they made me feel their pain and to love them more. In short-they made me feel.
The american press was full of details about them at the time and I eagerly read everything I could find. Then I saw the long program: Jesus Christ Superstar. By then I was already a firm fan. I rooted for them to win. Because through their skating they made me feel. And they won! I was so happy for them, even though I have known about them for only two days.
After that my obsession with finding out everything about them began in earnest. I read all articles and crumbs of information that was written in English about them. I found two major figure skating forums in English, but to my surprise most of the words said about them on those two forums were, to say it mildly, not what I would have liked them to ever read. I was surprised and upset. How was it possible that I liked something so much and others seemed to hate it. Well, I would come to understand that phenomenon, but much later.
Luckily, a few like-minded people on one of those English forums have started what later became an enormous V/T fan thread, and I eagerly joined them, bringing to it any articles, pictures and video we could find. For a full year after the Olympic games we had a blast. All of us there loved this pair so much, we discussed it endlessly, days on end. Other fan forums appeared on my horizon, and I joined them as well.
There came a time when English alone was not enough to gather enough information. I dusted out my Russian, the one I have studied for the last time in high school and haven’t used for decades since, by starting tentatively to read what little Russian articles I could find, and with the help of google to translate them for some of my like-minded internet friends. Little by little, the language came back to me-grammar, vocabulary, cultural references. The best of all-I was able to understand and appreciate Maxim and Tania’s extraordinary sense of humor. It was so apparent to see between the lines, in their cultural references, I was thrilled to see it and they rose to new heights in my appreciation. They showed themselves as two delightful and humble human beings, all the time striving for perfection but never forgetting their beginnings and I was delighted to discover it. I was enchanted with Maxim’s honesty, self-demanding, and self deprecating nature, with Tania’s sweetness, optimism and character made of steel. The more I read the more I liked. Here were two people, who lived and worked by their own exacting standards, never betraying their principles. Here were two exceptional athletes, who’s self discipline, work ethics and workaholics tendencies were legendary among anyone who had come close to work with them ever since they formed their pairing. The younger athletes in their group all adored them. The skaters, not only in Russia, but all over the world were their friends and had only praise for them. Everyone who ever came in direct contact with them was enchanted by their charisma and ease of communication. Everywhere they went, they were admired both for their skating and for their personalities.
Then I took the last step to fully immerse in their interviews. I started to listen and little by little to come to fully understand the spoken Russian language. How sweet they were when interviewed. With the exception of their personal relationship, they were and still are the most sincere interviewees I have ever seen. There is no artifice when they talk about their struggles, doubts and hopes of the past and the future. I loved them all the more every day for it. They never shied away from the press, they always answered regardless of how difficult or inappropriate they found a question…
...And then some people on the forums crucified them for it…

After some time it started to become apparent to me that when it comes to Tania and Max, they incited two opposing reactions. They made people feel strongly. Love or hate, but everyone had something to say about them. Love or hate, but everyone’s attention was engaged. There were epic arguments inspired on the forums and it always, always came down to those two strong emotions.

And just when I thought I knew and understood everything, where the love came from, and why the hate was also present, I discovered the Russian forums.
Up to that point I thought I had seen it all. Little did I know! It is a well known truth that no one is a prophet in his own country, but the Russians went above and beyond to prove this proverb. The so called figure skating couch professionals were relentless. They dissected every word, found meanings that were never there and eagerly promoted shaded angles on every word and action that I am sure Tania and Max’s wildest imagination could not have conjured. They were accused of all the sins in the world, regardless of what they did, said, or did not do or not say.
I was appalled. I saw Russian journalists with hidden and obvious agendas going after them, sometimes just because they happen to be in a certain coach's team. I saw them hammering article after article with innuendos days before the most major competitions of the season, only to slink away after a win and to rear their heads again before the next one. I saw on the forums Ukrainian posters being more concerned with where Russian tax payer money are being spent in figure skating than American tax payers are for their own money. I saw classless and crass American wanna be showmen in a pretentious youtube skating show provoking other skaters they interviewed to bash them and taking every chance to throw shade. Sadly some skaters stooped that low and happily others did not. I saw Russian coaches with past grievances taking every chance to get even, when they perceived a weakness. I saw people one day sending them to retirement and the next day saying how they were obligated to win or else… It would have been disheartening to witness all this if it wasn’t for the many fan forums, the thousands of Instagram and twitter followers with uplifting supporting messages. For every hater out there, there were 100 times more loving fans of this precious pair. Most of the Russians do know their heroes after all. They give their love to Tania and Max and many attend competitions and the shows just to support them. But it is not only the Russians, fans all over the world are constantly seeking information and follow them, new ones are coming on board every day. Take me, for example. A few years ago I would not have dreamt of driving two full days to Boston and two back, just for the privilege to see Tania and Max live on the ice. And I would do it all over again, if ever they give me that chance and perform again anywhere in the US. Because it was a privilege to see them. They have a unique presence and command the ice like a true ice king and queen. Like true artists, they showcase pairs skating in its most beautiful form.
And what about the hate? Where does it come from? Historically, a true greatness has always been a coin with two sides. But the hate only confirms one thing - that Tatiana and Maxim have already crossed into that coveted Land of the Greats.

And so, I come to the point where I need to humbly ask for their forgiveness.

Being the generous and magnanimous souls that you are, please forgive the haters, the journalists and the ignorant know-it alls, who either don’t appreciate the treasure they have in you or don’t know what they are talking about, not bothering to read at least your interviews and the facts, before writing their opinions, or not wanting to understanding you even if they had read them.
But most of all, please forgive us - your fans. We love you dearly, but just like every parent, who loves their children, and nevertheless constantly makes mistakes out of love, so do we. We foolishly did not listen to you carefully, or not wanted to accept it, when you told us that the coming back will be hard, that you did not expect to win each time, that you were prepared for what is coming. Please forgive us for not paying attention and dismissing your words when Maxim said that the goal is the next Olympic games and that the coming major competitions will be transitional for you, please forgive us for becoming so spoiled by your victories and so greedy for them, that one unsuccessful skate will upset us to the point of grossly presuming to give you advice on retirement and personal life.
Please forgive us all and continue to carve your own path in sport and in life only according to your own principles and your own desires. You are two of the strongest people I have come to know about. You become stronger with each experience. We will always support you and love you because you are two of the most extraordinary people and the greatest skating pair of our time - two shining stars that shine brighter than ever when shining together. Thank you!

eli60056

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
eli, I'm touched to my heart with this confession... you have put it magnificently! I think you should post it somewhere in the social networks - where they would have a chance to see it...

eli60056

On the Ice
eli, I'm touched to my heart with this confession... you have put it magnificently! I think you should post it somewhere in the social networks - where they would have a chance to see it...

Thanks, borzaya!
I don't have any social network accounts, but anyone, feel free to repost it and reference it with my user name under it. Thanks.

TatiMax

On the Ice
Dear Tania and Max, please forgive us

that Tatiana and Maxim have already crossed into that coveted Land of the Greats.

And so, I come to the point where I need to humbly ask for their forgiveness.

Being the generous

you are two of the most extraordinary people

Omg

mhelliknee

Rinkside
An open letter from a die-hard fan

:rolleye: That's the most melodramatic "fan letter" I've ever seen. I hope your deities will forgive us all for our grave sins against them. May we not suffer eternal damnation! Praise be unto them. Amen.

But seriously, please don't post this on their Instagram. It's just a wee bit over-the-top.

Last edited:

Ester

Rinkside
Eli60056, What a fantastic post! You managed to put into words all of my feelings of the last 2 days. Thanks!

skatefan02

On the Ice
I want to cry so sad :(

They have to retire and have a baby

You still want them to skate? Apparently they were NOT training well. Not ready. Not focused. Nothing. ugly skate tonight. Very ugly and embarrassing.
It is delusion to think they can skate well again.

The only thing embarrassing is the delusions in this post. What century are you living in? The dark ages? Women don't exist just to have babies, and who are you to tell them what to do with their personal lives?

I'm glad my fandom and mental well-being and stability don't hinge on whether they've "proven" themselves to me enough or won enough for my satisfaction on a given day.

To hear people speak, you'd think they were dead and buried, not that they had won Europeans just a few months ago and skated a stunning short program with some minor errors just one day before. Every athlete only wishes they were V/T and had 1-2 career finishes their entire career including performing under pressure at the highest levels, during the Olympics, instead of peaking mid-quad every cycle and then melting down in the moments that count.

Years from now, everyone will always remember V/T as 2-time Olympic Champions regardless of whatever else they do, and no one will remember x time World Champion. I'm grateful for every program they choose to give us and the privilege of witnessing the rare chemistry and artistry they bring to pairs skating.

eli60056

On the Ice
:rolleye: That's the most melodramatic "fan letter" I've ever seen. I hope your deities will forgive us all for our grave sins against them. May we not suffer eternal damnation! Praise be unto them. Amen.

But seriously, please don't post this on their Instagram. It's just a wee bit over-the-top.

Awww, you spent all this effort to come here and give me your feedback! How touching!

But seriously, if you don't understand why I posted this letter, I can't help you. Nice try though... :laugh:

mhelliknee

Rinkside
Awww, you spent all this effort to come here and give me your feedback! How touching!

But seriously, if you don't understand why I posted this letter, I can't help you. Nice try though... :laugh:

:biggrin: Don't worry, it's perfectly clear. You wrote an essay after all. I just think it's crazy and over-the-top, and you're definitely coddling them. I get that you've appointed yourself the fan police and you think you're good enough to represent all of us, but reading that thing gave me second-hand embarrassment.

But carry on. I'd love to see part two of this letter someday! :laugh2:

eli60056

On the Ice
:biggrin: Don't worry, it's perfectly clear. You wrote an essay after all. I just think it's crazy and over-the-top, and you're definitely coddling them. I get that you've appointed yourself the fan police and you think you're good enough to represent all of us, but reading that thing gave me second-hand embarrassment.

But carry on. I'd love to see part two of this letter someday! :laugh2:

The choice to feel embarrassed is entirely yours and not my problem, sorry.

As for the rest, I am glad we are beginning to understand each other; time will tell to what extent. This is a fan thread. Are you accusing me of being too much of a fan?