Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

skatefan02

On the Ice
Yes, the one you found. I'm still working on cropping it.
The photo you posted it's from a publicity that also can be seen in that video you found.

Thanks, annafer! :love: Makes me happy Tanya liked it and used it.

As for the second photo, they were wearing those outfits in some ice show setting (darkened lights, no side barrier) doing a death spiral in one of the fluffs. I was wondering if that was from an actual show and if there is video of it.

mttvonice

On the Ice
@mttvonice I think at the moment only Eric Radford is taller than Max, but he doesn't throw Meagan as high as Max does Tanya and she is several centimeters smaller than Tanya. So I really think that Max has just simply more strength than the rest :)

Thanks, Orangella - I had forgotten about Radford, and later remembered Simon Schnapir, too. If you can believe internet sources, Radford is either 6'1'' or 6'2" (Max is 6'2", I believe), and Schnapir is actually 6'4". Schnapir's partner is also shorter than Tanya, so who knows how it all factors out when it comes to who throws the "highest". Watching a video of Schnapir/Castelli didn't tell me a whole lot, but in my mind, I still think Max & Tanya throw the highest, longest, and are definitely the most graceful :)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I just watched V/T's 2014 European Championship performances for the first time after watching the press conference video that was posted yesterday. Their short program was trouble-free, but in the long program, not only did Max fall twice, but Tanya had a big fall, too. Could it have been because of a mistake Max made during the throw, and so he was blaming himself for that fall, too? I have no idea. Didn't watch anyone else's program from that competition, but it does seem strange that they still got the gold. And I have no doubt that the Olympics being just a few weeks away made that day even more troubling. Just another reason to understand the emotion they experienced when things did go so well at the Olympics. Side note: Loved how Max said "We're not afraid" ;)

Ok, sorry -- back to more positive things! The photoshoot photos have been wonderful!!! And so glad Max's Instagram is back!!! :clap:

orangella96

Final Flight
@mttvonice Haha no problem. I think tgeir twist is really the highest. That's what the commentators always say too ;)

Yeah their SP was always perfect this year. They had only trouble in the free :/
I hope their new programs are going to be better again especially the free cause I didn't get war with JCS.

annafer

On the Ice
As for the second photo, they were wearing those outfits in some ice show setting (darkened lights, no side barrier) doing a death spiral in one of the fluffs. I was wondering if that was from an actual show and if there is video of it.
The death spiral is also from the publicity I was talking about. It appears on that video.
I love the fact that Max liked this pic annafer :)
http://statigr.am/p/702088623336003766_387474677
Me too, I was smiling when I saw that he liked it.

Regarding the marks they got during the Europeans. They were much lower than their usual, but at the same time the elements that were did well got them big scores like it usually happens and with their SP advantage was more than enough to win with 13 points difference. As the Canadian coach said, even of they make mistakes, the difficulty and perfection of the other elements is enough to put them in the first place.

I noticed that they musically make more mistakes when they don't have close competition. When they have they skate very very well.

orangella96

Final Flight
@annafer That's true tgat they skate not so good if they don't have "real" competition...
I hope that doesn't influence their future skating if the "only" have S/K as competitors and not that close too.

@Arawen I love "Can you feel the love tonight". That would be soo cool :) :biggrin:
I actually don't know if they have a amount of time they need to skate to in the Exhibition as they have to in the SP and FS :scratch:

kinoriH

Final Flight
A few suggestions for new EX music, sorry for only Disney :laugh:

A Whole New World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1Rb9hC4JY

Can You Feel The Love Tonight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRCjylRkG_c

Love Will Find A Way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNPQC2v38c

Tale As Old As Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343e0ymrvlQ

Maybe they´re too short?

Speaking of Disney\ animated films, I always wanted them to skate to "once upon a december" from Anastasia. it'll be PERFECT, especially with their Masquarade Waltz costumes! Excellent for exhibitions. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURrVh17F_M

and here's the scene from the movie. beautiful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bsdu57SFZc

mttvonice

On the Ice
Me too, I was smiling when I saw that he liked it.

Regarding the marks they got during the Europeans. They were much lower than their usual, but at the same time the elements that were did well got them big scores like it usually happens and with their SP advantage was more than enough to win with 13 points difference. As the Canadian coach said, even of they make mistakes, the difficulty and perfection of the other elements is enough to put them in the first place.

Oh yes, I can imagine how exciting that would be! Makes me giggle just being excited FOR you! :laugh:

And thanks for the explanation re: the 2014 European scores. I figured it must have been something like that -- was just too lazy to do the research on my own :rolleye: Thanks again, annafer :)

Arawen

Final Flight
Speaking of Disney\ animated films, I always wanted them to skate to "once upon a december" from Anastasia. it'll be PERFECT, especially with their Masquarade Waltz costumes! Excellent for exhibitions. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURrVh17F_M

and here's the scene from the movie. beautiful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bsdu57SFZc
Beautiful! I have never watched Anastasia, but I thought it wasn´t a Disney movie :confused:

Found a Russian version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUz-SMivmbs

kinoriH

Final Flight
Beautiful! I have never watched Anastasia, but I thought it wasn´t a Disney movie :confused:

Found a Russian version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUz-SMivmbs

It's not a Disney movie, it's from 20th Century Fox. But it's perfect for them cause it's a russian story and they are SO GOOD at portraying roles on the ice. :bow:
And the russian version of the song is beautiful.

haha and I found the Hebrew version of it (my native language).. used to watch this movie all the time as a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqkHUPBabc

Nessie

On the Ice
My favorite SP - hands down - the Masquarade Waltz. That is what got me into them in the first place :).
JCS needed some getting used to, but now I watched it over and over again, and I have to say it has become my favorite LP.

Dear All,
I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to come upon your conversations about Volosozhar and Trankov -- the best pairs skaters since Gordeeva and Grinkov. I am so impressed at the fine research some of you are capable of – tracking down videos I never would have uncovered. It’s just amazing! A few days ago, you all returned to noting which V/T programs were your favorites. My first post here is just to put in a vote for their best performances.

I had never heard of V and T before February 11, 2014. Following international skating has not been easy in the US for the last few years, as there has been much less television coverage since the days of Michelle Kwan and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze ( I once went out to New Jersey to watch B&S practice!) The television stations were so greedy to cash in on a good thing that they showed skating every 5 minutes, and I suppose everyone got sick of it.

This past February, I was on a trip during the Olympics when I turned on the television in my hotel room to see if I could catch some skating. And what did I see coming onto the ice? A tall, handsome, very masculine guy wearing a dashing uniform which fit him perfectly, showing off his long, long legs. He stood straight and tall like royalty or someone of rank, and he had an unusual haircut -- not contemporary, but rather like those worn by officers in the 1930s, or even earlier. I said to myself “Whoa! WHO is THAT guy? Then turning toward him was a petite and fair young woman, dressed in a dusty pale blue replica of a ball gown. She had beautiful, golden skin, a long neck, lovely bearing, posture and carriage and gorgeous legs. When she smiled at him her look was modest and trusting. “Wow!” I thought, “now WHO is THIS woman?”

And then the beautiful couple performed.

They skated with terrific speed, the choreography was relatively simple but perfectly measured – appropriate for a waltz and the story they were telling. The throw jumps were higher and more impressive than any I’ve ever seen by anyone. They were so far and above any skating I know of (except maybe Torvill and Dean). So I’m nuts about Masquerade Waltz.

And the next evening, there was the Free Program.

I loved the “Jesus Chris Superstar” program when I first saw it and continue to think it one of their most compelling programs. It was gutsy and daring. The first part of the music, abstract and odd, caught your attention and set a whole mood which was carefully followed up. Isn’t that what one wants to do? Not the same old thing that’s been done for years, but something edgy, ground-breaking? And in the second half of the program, even though I’ve watched it a number of times, I still have to fight hard not to weep. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s music is tragic here and V and T are properly moved by it and the roles they are playing. These skaters are not just athletes, they are artists. They are not just beautiful, each of them, but they seem to be articulate, highly intelligent, sensitive people whose performances are composed of a number of layers. They have the technical skills of course, but much more. They have an unusual passion and joy when they skate and an ability to communicate that to each other and to the audience, at the same time. And perhaps most of all, they have CHARISMA. You can’t train to acquire that.

I just wanted to weigh in on how much I respect V and T. I have read your comments from Page 1-about 64, and then from around 120 until today’s posts. I have to go back and read the middle section so I hope I’m not repeating too much that you have already discussed, but I thought I’d put in a vote for Masquerade Waltz and JCS. .
Thanks again for all your good thoughts about two very gifted people. I’m just crazy about them and follow them both on Instagram. Tally ho!

Mahanson34

Rinkside
Nessie, you have perfectly articulated the same process I went through with V/T. I had always been an avid figure skating fan but after Michelle Kwan, I was really burned out. So I hadn't followed skating for about 5 to 8 years. And then during the Olympics I saw V/T, and wow! They are amazing, and the rest is history. [emoji6]

Welcome to the group, Nessie!

Nessie

On the Ice
Nessie, you have perfectly articulated the same process I went through with V/T. I had always been an avid figure skating fan but after Michelle Kwan, I was really burned out. So I hadn't followed skating for about 5 to 8 years. And then during the Olympics I saw V/T, and wow! They are amazing, and the rest is history. [emoji6]

Welcome to the group, Nessie!

Thanks! Glad to be aboard.
I would also like to credit Nina Moser and her team for their good taste and sound advice – or so it appears.
I read a quote from Tamara Moskvina where she said that she couldn’t continue coaching V/T because Maxim “Maxim thought he knew everything…” She doesn’t say it unkindly but what is rare about Maxim is his intelligence and maybe he exerted it with her. Maybe he was a bit too strong-willed for her approach. If you leave home at a young age (15 was it?), live a few years from hand to mouth to develop your craft, you will not enjoy being told what to do every second. You will have probably have ideas of your own, and you have found an independence and a point of view which should be heard. If people say Maxim is temperamental, it is probably because he has solid ideas born out of hard work and sacrifice. My point is that I heard Maxim say once that he “fought for the JCS” program (in a video of a fan meeting in Japan), so I respect Nina Moser immensely for, I suspect, listening to him where others have not.
Also, Masquerade Waltz is in the great tradition of Russian story-telling. Of course a skating program can be very pleasant when skaters do their thing, skate around with no particular idea in mind and show their great skills. But Nina Moser was smart enough to capitalize on the fruits of Russian culture – an important composer for the music, a Russian short-story for the program, authentic costumes (did you know that the width of the border on Maxim’s coat-sleeve is the precise measurement of the authentic Russian uniform of that time?). Telling a story makes a program gripping, memorable and impossible to dismiss. And V/T tell a story for their long program as well. Nina Moser is one smart lady.
On the other hand, to my mind, S and S were NOT served well by their coaches. “Pink Panther” is not an elevated enough program for the Olympics. It’s too “light” and a bit silly. And Alina’s costume looked suspiciously like Tatiana’s! And, while some women skaters wear them, I do NOT find the flesh-colored skates flattering to the leg. They make women look squat. And I don’t really think a hefty male partner should be wearing baby-blue colored tights! But it was really the programs that were lacking content and intensity.
Just one more thing before I forget to mention it: Happily I had set my television to record the evening Olympics so I would not have to count on YouTube to see V/T’s Sochi performances. And, as I’m sure you know, NBC has the rights to the footage of V/T so you can’t actually see that material on YouTube. In JCS, there is a moment when Maxim leans toward Tati and gives her two pecks – that is, he tries to give her two extremely fast kisses though he doesn’t quite connect. I don’t know if any of you noticed it at the time or have the recording to study but it’s amazing! (He doesn’t do it in any other version of this program – just that evening.) I think he was carried away by Tanya’s tremendous appeal – her utter competence, composure and dramatic ability. Whew! I guess I think the world of both of them.

kinoriH

Final Flight
In JCS, there is a moment when Maxim leans toward Tati and gives her two pecks – that is, he tries to give her two extremely fast kisses though he doesn’t quite connect. I don’t know if any of you noticed it at the time or have the recording to study but it’s amazing! (He doesn’t do it in any other version of this program – just that evening.) I think he was carried away by Tanya’s tremendous appeal – her utter competence, composure and dramatic ability. Whew! I guess I think the world of both of them.

I remember that moment..! It was a few seconds after she touched the ice. You can see that at 3:35, if you look closely <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l30Ua6KTEfM

And I believe he also did that on the NHK trophy.. at 3:55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io32oTvT7F0

ISN'T HE JUST ADORABLE. :love:

isamadelline

Rinkside
How I met Tanya and Maxim

I saw you guys talking about how experienced VT during the last Winter Olympics, also met them through the broadcasts because I am from a country without tradition in olympic winter, I am Brazilian had our first representative of skating games this winter, met during VT evidence of staff in the early days of the Olympics, lives a engrancada scene if I remember the second day of team competition I told my mother that the time that the Russians VT chamasem me asisti them live, appear not so explained right she called me to see other skaters instead of them, now I follow them all over the internet and therefore almost impossible to see my new idols in the sport in my country, so it should happen in the next Olympics four years from now.