Alaskan Magic is back! | Golden Skate

Alaskan Magic is back!

Aloft02

Rinkside
Really well done website, Toni!

I lived in Alaska for 8 years in the 70's - it made me nostalgic to see your photos and I look forward to to more!

Aloft02

Rinkside
Hi Toni - goofy story that sort of typifies my decision-making skills...it's right after college graduation - I had my beater car loaded and was planning on going to San Francisco to seek fame and fortune. I got to I-5 and was hit with the sudden realization of the thousands of other graduates (who actually learned something that would support life in college) who were probably headed that way. So I turned northbound and hopped on the ferry (Wickersham). Trouble was I only had enough money to get me to the very first stop....Ketchikan! 144 inches of rain a year Ketchikan.

Long story short, I worked for a bush airline so I travelled all over the state setting up contracts in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai, and the panhandle and generally enjoying myself. This was before the boom of the pipeline and I was young and single. I have very happy memories. Oh. I did marry Mr. Wrong up there, but I also met Mr. Aloft too :laugh:

Last edited:
Wow, Toni, great pics!!! I oughta go to some classes--but I guess I just have too much fun playing with the camera and am too shy and lazy for classes.
Good luck with your goals for photography and journalism!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
pretty much... though I'm getting worried that we'll be basically a welfare/ghosttown soon... the oil fields are going dry and with the US government (or should I say CO and CT treehuggers :rolleye: no offense, they're groups just really tick me off) saying no more new rigs/drill sites the people are moving elsewhere

still it's beautiful! :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Toni,
congrats on your site. your "amateur" phography is looking pretty pro these days. we always enjoy seeing your pics, so keep 'em coming!

we look forward to seeing your work in national geographic or newsweek.......

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Aloft02 said:
Hm-m-m, I've been known to hug a tree from time to time myself.

have you ever chained yourself to a place of buisiness because they sell sporting goods? LOL

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm starting to feel sorry I brought it up.

I think I sound like I just want people to carelessly destroy the natural wonders around us... but I don't

I'm just tired of the people like PETA, and the people in CO and CT that come up here and basically tell us we're ruining our state by having oil rigs and sporting goods stores(which my dad works for one, so I guess I'm just bitter) when we don't have nearly the polution problems and other stuff that they have so *pfft* not only that but the PETA people in hollywood are also the people against the war on Iraq saying it's just for the oil... well if we follow their logic: let us expand our exploration here in Alaska. I don't care what Dan Rather reports, ANWR is not as big as he says it is... it's like a pinkynail of tundra... which mostly nothing grows on... and the caribou herds are NOT dying because of our digging, they're thriving... so go back to your suberbian houses and mansions, we're doing just fine without you! :laugh: (I am not trying to insult any of you here... just those that are bugging the crap out of Alaska for no reason other than control issues)

Aloft04

On the Ice
Good grief..... I'm not sure where my comments praising your photography degenerated in your mind to be viewed as an attack on your views of the environment and the wholesale slaughter of caribou herds, Toni!! People certainly will not always agree on the handling of the environment, but in my opinion it shouldn't preclude them having an exchange of kind words and good humor from time to time.

Anyway, good luck with the photo career. I enjoyed your website.

(P.S. I had to register a different name from my office computer - don't know why...but I'm Aloft02 when I'm home.)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Toni,
Have you ever been to CT? The state is more heavily forested now than in the 1800s. The small family farms couldn;t compete economically with larger farms elsewhere, so the land reverted to forest.
To compensate, we have Lyme disease by the tickful:eek: