Does a skater's height affect how well you skate?? | Golden Skate

Does a skater's height affect how well you skate??

F

FigureSk8er

Does a skater's height affect how well you skate??

I 've noticed that a lot of international female skaters are between the height of 5'1 to 5'4. (maybe with an exception of Sarah Hughes but she's only an inch taller so it doesn't make that much of a difference.) Does height affect skating??

J

Joesitz

Re: Does a skater's height affect how well you skate??

I think it's more of a muscle thing than height. Yet at the same time skaters with a compact body seem to jump better than others. Long legs get the nod on flow over the ice.

F

FigureSk8er

thanks

K

Kzarah

Well of course skaters with longer legs can skate faster. As far as jumping, skaters with long waist and short legs are natural jumpers. I've heard it is because their center of gravity is closser to the ice. It really makes you appreciate Laurent Tobel's ability to jump.
Daniel and Little Lulu

E

EarlGrayHot

I think it does ..... I'm 5'11" and centering a spin is a bear for me!!! Jumping's not too bad but :eek: spining is tough!!!!

A

Anita18

Yes!!

Centering spins is so much harder if you're taller! Well, I guess if you learned how to do it when you're young, it's a bit easier, but I'm learning right now how to spin and it's so hard! The little kids can get away with a lot of things but when you're twice as tall as they are, little errors can throw you off so easily..:p

The good thing about being tall is that you have a lot more presence on the ice than a little kid, LOL...:) Not to mention more power and stuff like that..

Anita

K

Kzarah

Re: Yes!!

Except for Little Lulu the taller you are the farther you have to fall.
Daniel and Little Lulu

D

dpgsk8

Height

Doesn't seem to affect pro. skater Rory Burghardt (sp?), who can do a mean back flip!

F

Figureskates

I am 6 feet even and it makes a big difference. The center of gravity is much higher off the ice. I try to ave deep knee bends to get closer to the ice, though my coach sez I should bend them even more...

N

nessie2002

yes

Dick Button says that the taller you are, the more can go wrong in the air on a jump (and I believe him).

L

LADSKATER

It's almost the gymnastics formula. The shorter you are to the ice, the better - although, I think male ice dancers look more elegent if they are tall. It all depends on the discipline.

I don't think height has anything to do with ice coverage. Look at Elvis - he is a shorty and boy can he cover the ice quickly!! That's more to do with leg power.

Ladskater