AKIKO SUZUKI : What do you love about her? | Golden Skate

AKIKO SUZUKI : What do you love about her?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is how I feel about Akiko too! I will miss her terribly when she retires. I really like her better than any of the other current ladies and hope she is on the podium at the Olympics!

Her smile, joy, musicality, perseverance ...

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
This is how I feel about Akiko too! I will miss her terribly when she retires. I really like her better than any of the other current ladies and hope she is on the podium at the Olympics!

Thanks so much for sharing the video, Christinaskater! Akiko will always be one of my favourite figure skaters. Her technical limitations aside, she is one of the very few true artists out there. Some of her performances make me cry (and I rarely cry at the movies). Her musicality is stunning (I play music and dance, so hopefully I know something about musicality). And from what little I know about her as a person, she has the maturity, poise, and self-awareness that perhaps only someone a little older than the average competitive skater who has experienced major setbacks in life can have. I hope she knows that she has fans around the world who love her performances and skate her very best at Sochi. Go Akiko!

Thanks for the link to her exhibition skate! How gorgeous. And what a stunning costume! It's like a dragonfly's wings.

Wouldn't it be lovely if she ends up on the podium, either at Olympics or at Worlds? Or both!

I echo all the praise given her by others in this thread.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
She always cheers me up when I watch her skate.
Also, I find that when I watch her skate the marks don't really matter as I know how well she has skated & it feels like she skates more for the fans than the judges.
When I watch others like Gracie Gold or Julia Lipnitskaya skate I'm thinking "What do the judges want to do" but when I watch Akiko skate I think "Who cares, I love watching her".
I would love her to carry on one more season but I so hope she skates clean in Sochi. It would make me more happy than seeing any of my other favourite skaters win Gold.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
She just exudes so much joy when she skates. Her musicality and performance quality are exquisite. She's such a fighter but also seems like a very nice person. Physically, I think she's beautiful despite the nasty comments that have been made and she's the best-dressed skater out there.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
She just exudes so much joy when she skates. Her musicality and performance quality are exquisite. She's such a fighter but also seems like a very nice person. Physically, I think she's beautiful despite of the nasty comments that have been made and she's the best-dressed skater out there.

Why do people make nasty comments about her looks ?.
She is lovely.
Are these the same people who think that Gracie Gold will win because they think that Blonde + Pretty + USA = Gold ?.
Awful.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've always loved the beautiful dresses she wears when she skates. I don't know who her designer is but I wish they'd also work for some of the other Japanese ladies. She also has a grace about her much like Yuka Sato did/does.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She puts her heart and soul into her skating. No other ladies skater today does that.

desertskates

Medalist
Her joy and musicality! Always beautifully dressed and well put-together. Mostly, though, I deeply admire her for what she has overcome and remaining in skating until almost the age of 30. She's provided us skating fans with a lot of enjoyment.

emma

Record Breaker
Akiko's skating brings me such a feeling of joy. Thanks so much for posting the Exhibition, I hadn't seen it and it was lovely to watch. I, too, love the dress! Can't wait to see Akiko at the Olympics!!!

lcd

Match Penalty
Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away

emma

Record Breaker
Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away

that's a beautiful description. I can feel your words and feel that abandon when I watch Akiko.

Frost

Spectator
Akiko is the whole package: musical, beautiful smile, likeable personality and technically complete.
I often find that people pass over her technic prowess. In the last quad she relentlessly improve : Better program, costume, choreography, musicality, flow, transitions, spins and jumps. She learned 3-3 over 25, has a consistent 2a-3t and a 7 jumps FS.

Compare Vancouver 2010 to Japanese nationals this year it can't get better than that.

This is my first post on this channel and bottom line: she's the best !

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.

My coach always said you do not hit a program or note. That is way to harsh. You perform it. It exudes from you as an extension of oneself in a free and unfettered manner.