Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: AKIKO SUZUKI : What do you love about her?

  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,187
    Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away
    that's a beautiful description. I can feel your words and feel that abandon when I watch Akiko.

  3. #18
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Akiko is the whole package: musical, beautiful smile, likeable personality and technically complete.
    I often find that people pass over her technic prowess. In the last quad she relentlessly improve : Better program, costume, choreography, musicality, flow, transitions, spins and jumps. She learned 3-3 over 25, has a consistent 2a-3t and a 7 jumps FS.

    Compare Vancouver 2010 to Japanese nationals this year it can't get better than that.

    This is my first post on this channel and bottom line: she's the best !

  4. #19
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    36
    I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.
    My coach always said you do not hit a program or note. That is way to harsh. You perform it. It exudes from you as an extension of oneself in a free and unfettered manner.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    259
    Anyone remember Akiko's SP from the 2008 NHK Trophy ?.
    Even though she made an error it was such a beautiful skate.
    It was the first time I saw her & I was a fan from the start.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    877
    She is my favorite skater because of what has already been mentioned about her in this thread. More than any other skater, I hope for her to be on the medal stand in two weeks. When she retires I feel she has the potential to become a great skating choreographer or actress and I have worked professionally in the theatre and film industry and know what I talking about. Akiko is rare and special.

  8. #23
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    She is my favorite skater because of what has already been mentioned about her in this thread. More than any other skater, I hope for her to be on the medal stand in two weeks. When she retires I feel she has the potential to become a great skating choreographer or actress and I have worked professionally in the theatre and film industry and know what I talking about. Akiko is rare and special.
    I remember Akiko saying in an interview a while back that she was interested in becoming a choreographer, but Hiroshi Kawakubo was keen for her to take over from him as a coach. I'm sure she could successfully combine the two careers as well as skating in shows.

  9. #24
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,491

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    186
    I used to tear up watching Michelle Kwan when she had a great performance, and since her retirement, most skaters, IMO, don't connect emotionally. Akiko is the first one since Michelle where I get that feeling watching her skate and she makes me cry. I feel that her music comes through her as she's skating, it becomes a part of her. She also has a light touch on the ice - where she looks like she's floating across it gracefully.

    I also like that she's stuck with the sport this long and continues to challenge herself, at the ripe "old" age of 28.

  11. #26
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    Anyone remember Akiko's SP from the 2008 NHK Trophy ?.
    Even though she made an error it was such a beautiful skate.
    It was the first time I saw her & I was a fan from the start.

    Sans the error, that is one of the best skates ever. Everything was so classic, balletic and majestic!

  12. #27
    Go Team Abbott snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,550
    Is this a fan thread Thanks christinaskater for frequently reminding us about Akiko. I love her because she always make me happy when I watch her skating. Hope she medals at olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Bon View Post
    I remember Akiko saying in an interview a while back that she was interested in becoming a choreographer, but Hiroshi Kawakubo was keen for her to take over from him as a coach. I'm sure she could successfully combine the two careers as well as skating in shows.
    Oh yes, I'm sure she will have a great future whatever she does

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Akiko is the whole package: musical, beautiful smile, likeable personality and technically complete.
    I often find that people pass over her technic prowess. In the last quad she relentlessly improve : Better program, costume, choreography, musicality, flow, transitions, spins and jumps. She learned 3-3 over 25, has a consistent 2a-3t and a 7 jumps FS.

    Compare Vancouver 2010 to Japanese nationals this year it can't get better than that.

    This is my first post on this channel and bottom line: she's the best !
    Welcome to GS! Akiko is a great person for your first post. You bring out wonderful details to show why she has become so compelling to watch. I just love her and hope that she has the skate of her life at Sochi.

  14. #29
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,608
    Akiko is truly beloved. So special in every way.

  15. #30
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,491

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •