Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AKIKO SUZUKI : What do you love about her?

Banned
    Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Her skating shows the kind of abandon that perhaps can only be revealed when a skater is either very young, and thus incredibly young, or wonderfully mature, and the inhibitions of 'still growing up' doubt have sufficiently melted away
    that's a beautiful description. I can feel your words and feel that abandon when I watch Akiko.

Rinkside
    Akiko is the whole package: musical, beautiful smile, likeable personality and technically complete.
    I often find that people pass over her technic prowess. In the last quad she relentlessly improve : Better program, costume, choreography, musicality, flow, transitions, spins and jumps. She learned 3-3 over 25, has a consistent 2a-3t and a 7 jumps FS.

Compare Vancouver 2010 to Japanese nationals this year it can't get better than that.

This is my first post on this channel and bottom line: she's the best !

On the Ice
    I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    I love that she can HIT a long program. I love the way she just glows with happiness when she is hitting. I love that she tries tough combinations and that she can feel the music. (And I almost always ENJOY her music selections). I think she's a competitor. She isn't always on, but when she is--look out! She could throw those young Russian girls for a loop on their home ice if she really shows up. Even with her competitors skating clean.
    My coach always said you do not hit a program or note. That is way to harsh. You perform it. It exudes from you as an extension of oneself in a free and unfettered manner.

Custom Title
    Anyone remember Akiko's SP from the 2008 NHK Trophy ?.
    Even though she made an error it was such a beautiful skate.
    It was the first time I saw her & I was a fan from the start.

Custom Title
    She is my favorite skater because of what has already been mentioned about her in this thread. More than any other skater, I hope for her to be on the medal stand in two weeks. When she retires I feel she has the potential to become a great skating choreographer or actress and I have worked professionally in the theatre and film industry and know what I talking about. Akiko is rare and special.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    She is my favorite skater because of what has already been mentioned about her in this thread. More than any other skater, I hope for her to be on the medal stand in two weeks. When she retires I feel she has the potential to become a great skating choreographer or actress and I have worked professionally in the theatre and film industry and know what I talking about. Akiko is rare and special.
    I remember Akiko saying in an interview a while back that she was interested in becoming a choreographer, but Hiroshi Kawakubo was keen for her to take over from him as a coach. I'm sure she could successfully combine the two careers as well as skating in shows.

Custom Title
    I used to tear up watching Michelle Kwan when she had a great performance, and since her retirement, most skaters, IMO, don't connect emotionally. Akiko is the first one since Michelle where I get that feeling watching her skate and she makes me cry. I feel that her music comes through her as she's skating, it becomes a part of her. She also has a light touch on the ice - where she looks like she's floating across it gracefully.

I also like that she's stuck with the sport this long and continues to challenge herself, at the ripe "old" age of 28.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    Anyone remember Akiko's SP from the 2008 NHK Trophy ?.
    Even though she made an error it was such a beautiful skate.
    It was the first time I saw her & I was a fan from the start.

Sans the error, that is one of the best skates ever. Everything was so classic, balletic and majestic!

Is this a fan thread Thanks christinaskater for frequently reminding us about Akiko. I love her because she always make me happy when I watch her skating. Hope she medals at olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Bon View Post
    I remember Akiko saying in an interview a while back that she was interested in becoming a choreographer, but Hiroshi Kawakubo was keen for her to take over from him as a coach. I'm sure she could successfully combine the two careers as well as skating in shows.
    Oh yes, I'm sure she will have a great future whatever she does

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Akiko is the whole package: musical, beautiful smile, likeable personality and technically complete.
    I often find that people pass over her technic prowess. In the last quad she relentlessly improve : Better program, costume, choreography, musicality, flow, transitions, spins and jumps. She learned 3-3 over 25, has a consistent 2a-3t and a 7 jumps FS.

Compare Vancouver 2010 to Japanese nationals this year it can't get better than that.

This is my first post on this channel and bottom line: she's the best !
    Welcome to GS! Akiko is a great person for your first post. You bring out wonderful details to show why she has become so compelling to watch. I just love her and hope that she has the skate of her life at Sochi.

Akiko is truly beloved. So special in every way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast