Practice Reports | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

usethis2

Medalist
Mao is my sentimental favorite for the gold, despite seemingly small odds. But what I really want to see is her skating with no regret. I know it's easier said than done, but Mao has been under Kim's shadow far too long, being scrutinized and compared, fairly or unfairly. I really hope she can give performance of her life regardless of result so that she can look back without if's/but's.

NMURA

Medalist
Wow, she is doing great, but the thing is that she get nervous very easy, Yuna is already olympic champion, Yulia has nothing to lose because she is only 15yo, so I think that Mao is in disadvantage mentally.

JULIA already has huge expectations from the Russian nation and her whole life could depend on it. No one knows what happens in the field of Russian ladies in four years. She has a lot to lose.

KIM must face extreme pressure from the nation that is obsessed with hatred against Japan, which is escalated in past years. They are disappointed in their athletes' results at Sochi Olympics in general. She has a lot to lose.

Fortunately, Asada is indifferent to such national fevers. Her latest comment was just like "concentrate on my own performances." I hope Hanyu's gold could lessen the pressure and give the higher morale to Japanese ladies.
http://sochi.sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201402180001-spnavi

Barb

Record Breaker
JULIA already has huge expectations from the Russian nation and her whole life could depend on it. No one knows what happens in the field of Russian ladies in four years. She has a lot to lose.

KIM must face extreme pressure from the nation that is obsessed with hatred against Japan, which is escalated in past years. They are disappointed in their athletes' results at Sochi Olympics in general. She has a lot to lose.

Fortunately, Asada is indifferent to such national fevers. Her latest comment was just like "concentrate on my own performances." I hope Hanyu's gold could lessen the pressure and give the higher morale to Japanese ladies.

You do not tell that to me, tell it to them :p, at least Yuna looks so relaxed like if she would be practicing for a show.

vegarin

On the Ice
Mao is my sentimental favorite for the gold, despite seemingly small odds. But what I really want to see is her skating with no regret. I know it's easier said than done, but Mao has been under Kim's shadow far too long, being scrutinized and compared, fairly or unfairly. I really hope she can give performance of her life regardless of result so that she can look back without if's/but's.

I hope so, too. I mean, Yuna will always be my favourite and I want her to win her second gold, but man, Mao. If only at 2006, you know? If I feel haunted by it, I wonder how she would feel, and she also has so much expectation mounted on her tiny shoulders, too. I hope she gets to skate her very best and rock the house.

So Mao and Yuna rivalry has been the talk of the ladies field for a long time, long before Vancouver. I wonder if any other competition will emerge after Sochi, or anyone will be a legitimate threat against the rising stardom of Julia's. I mean, Gracie can definitely give Julia run for her money if they both progress as they are right now, but it's too early to tell. It would be cool if we see a new addition to the great historical rivalries. Not that I'm looking forward to fan wars, but they are said to push the sport further, and hopefully, better.

Crylais

Rinkside
Julia's rival might not show up till later down the track just like the men's Chan-Hanyu. If we don't get one now hopefully within a year or two we will. It makes the competition seem do much better and we also get to see better skates.

Hamil

Rinkside

You sound like you want Yuna to feel extreme pressure, but Michelle Kwan reports otherwise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/video?related=d60aa703-aa1d-40ee-88b5-0d4fe72d1cb8

Jewels

On the Ice

I don't remember Yuna referring to any sort of things you've said. She has always said that she doesn't care whether or not she wins OGM, she just wants to finish her career well and retire. And by the looks of your comments, seems like you are the one who's obsessed with hatred.

Ven

Match Penalty
NMURA is known for spamming threads with anti-Yuna hatred. Rabid Asada fan (which is cool), irrational Yuna-hater (not cool).

jaylee

Medalist
How did Julia end up practicing with Mao? I thought the Russians were in the same practice group as the Korean skaters, not the Japanese?

Once the SP order was drawn yesterday, the practice groups changed according to SP start order groups, not by countries as before.

NMURA

Medalist
You sound like you want Yuna to feel extreme pressure, but Michelle Kwan reports otherwise.

KIM is a politician, knows how to behave before the media. I've heard that Kim participated Soch Olympics because she wanted to be an IOC member in future. If she couldn't win, her market values also plummet in South Korea. Maybe that is the biggest pressure.

jkun

Final Flight
Once the SP order was drawn yesterday, the practice groups changed according to SP start order groups, not by countries as before.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know. I do wish we got to see Yuna's speed and jumps showcased against Yulia's in the same rink, simultaneously.